Author Topic: Seasonal rotation of directional tires.  (Read 6913 times)

Danomite

Seasonal rotation of directional tires.
« on: December 02, 2004, 02:53:14 pm »
Quick question about tire and wheel rotation. I know that you should rotate your tires to equalize tread wear - but my winter tires are directional. That said, I could easily mount my right front wheel and tire on the right rear this year, same goes for the left side of the car, as the tire rotation direction would remain as per it should be ..........but most pools of tire thought recommend swapping the fronts to the rears on the other side of the car.

This would go against the  recommended rotation direction of directional tires?  

http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Tires_Wheels/rotation.shtml

I don't necessarily want to have them removed and remounted to my winter steel dog bowl wheels - but I don't see how else to get around this. I am curious to hear what others have done, and what the good folks at Tire Trends thoughts are.

Cheers.

D.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 03:10:44 pm »
The only option for rotating directional tires is front to back on the same side.  It's time to get out of the old "pool" and into the new "school".  Most of those recommendations predate the jump in popularity of directional tires.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 03:23:49 pm »
What DSW said.

Morty

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 03:03:50 am »
Rotating front to rear is your easiest option and will definitely extend the life of your winter tires. You can rotate left to right, but this would involve dismounting the tires and installing in the opposite direction. I would only do this if you are experiencing odd wear that can be corrected by running on the alternate side of the vehicle.

TireTrends - Get ready for winter!