Author Topic: 1998 Subaru Forester S (No Longer Available)  (Read 2797 times)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
1998 Subaru Forester S (No Longer Available)
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:00:19 am »
Feeling out selling our 1998 Forester S
Trying Trader GTA http://sell.autotrader.ca/AdDetails.aspx?srcID=19&frnID=8312214
Burns a bit of oil but passes E-Tests

Subaru Model Forester
Kilometres 215,000 km
Drivetrain AWD
Transmission Automatic
Exterior Colour Black
Interior Colour Grey
Doors 5 doors

Embossed leather (excellent condition)
Heated Seats
Leather steering wheel (tilt)
Sport Aluminum Rims
Fog lights
Working A\C
2nd owner from almost new
Heated mirror
Power windows
Power Locks
Keyless Entry
Remote Start
Upgraded Stereo and Speakers (Pioneer H.U. & Alpine speakers)
ABS
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:52:28 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: 1998 Subaru Forester S (Great for winter)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:26:14 am »
Maybe PM JG20? He's looking for a winter beater

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:15 pm »
Yes, definitely interested.  Body looks in pretty good shape from the ad pics.  Is there much rust in the underbody?  Also, tell be more about the oil-burning issue.  How often do you have to top it up?  Is there smoke coming out the exhaust?

Thanks, Joe

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »
Yes, definitely interested.  Body looks in pretty good shape from the ad pics.  Is there much rust in the underbody?  Also, tell be more about the oil-burning issue.  How often do you have to top it up?  Is there smoke coming out the exhaust?

Thanks, Joe

It's been burning oil for years but not horrendous. A bit of cold piston slap which is common on these. Bigger issue when she's cold so got auto-starter to aid in pre warming.
No mechanical issues outside of that. Has new alternator. Recent exhaust flex down pipe. (oh rear wiper motor seized)
You are welcome to have a look at her. We maintained her well diff oil changes etc...
The leather embossed interior is newer that the car. I had that installed a few years after we got it, along with the leather stitched steering wheel.
The car has never been hit outside of some dings by others while she parked.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:40:45 pm »

(oh rear wiper motor seized)

Common problem.  Easy DIY job (30 min) by easily removing the interior tailgate panels.  DO NOT even dream about buying a new motor from the dealer.  I bought one from RockAuto for about a hundred bucks.  iirc the dealer wanted somewhere north of $300.  Ridiculous.

The 2.5L DOHC engines (this one) and the 2.5L SOHC engines (1999-) both suffer from piston slap, as do most boxer engines thanks to the crank design and need for short skirts on the pistons.  Many people had their engines replaced by Subaru under warranty, only to find their new one did it too.  All of ours have has some slap, and having driven two of them to over 350K, it's a non issue to me.

Not to rain on redmans ad, but the thing on this particular engine to be wary of is the head gasket.  But, if it's sealing now or has a new one (Subaru updated the gasket for a lot longer life) then you're probably good.

The 4AT is actually stronger than the manual trans, and with care (fluid changes) they can outlast most every other part of the car.  The AT versions have a different AWD system that is actually a little more reliable than the manual versions.

Some thing redman left out...

The "S" models are much more desirable than the base as you get rear discs, heated seats, heated mirrors, heated wiper park, etc, etc, and most importantly, the rear limited slip diff.  Makes winter driving more fun!!

Does the clock work?  If so, it might be the only older Forester in the world that it does!!  If not, then there is any easy soldering fix that can be found with a quick google search.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:41 pm »

The clock failed years ago bit I have one on the head unit I installed as well as upgraded speakers.

As far as the head gasget I had it replaced years ago by a tech at Willowdale Subaru with OEM "fix" part and have not had an issue since then.

Used parts are readily available from many import Japanese facilities including whole engines.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:54:42 pm »

As far as the head gasget I had it replaced years ago by a tech at Willowdale Subaru with OEM "fix" part and have not had an issue since then.

:thumbup:

That's great.  Looks to be a super-solid unit.