Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 506305 times)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #1540 on: March 22, 2018, 07:33:26 pm »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1541 on: March 22, 2018, 08:04:12 pm »

Grand total:  $83,000

OMFG!!

With the interior of an entry level car and quality of a Korean car from 30 years ago.

Wow!  Cut that cost in half at $41,500 and I still would have an EXTREMELY HARD time pulling the trigger on this car.  Easily the worst looking interior I've seen in a long time. 

SE, what's with your obsession with 0-60 times?  Do you go WOT at each light and stop sign?   ??? ::)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 22, 2018, 09:19:10 pm »
Got the invite email today.
Looks like $68K out the door (Ontario rebate and taxes inc).

That's RWD, 500 km range battery, audio + glass roof (aka upgrades package), autopilot, red paint, base 18" wheels (upgrade aftermarket later).

Compared that to the price we paid for a loaded (every option) CPO (used) Tesla Model S we bought 2.5 years ago, the Model 3 is not any cheaper to own and drive.  If anything, the S with free supercharging is cheaper since we do 30% of our KM on the Tesla charging network.

Our S has 414 km range, 5.4s 0-100, RWD, air suspension, premium audio, panoramic sunroof, upgraded interior (lighting, etc).   Really, only missing auto-pilot as a comparison.   Still has another year of full warranty and 3 more years of battery+motor warranty.
For reference a fellow owner sold his 2013 S with similar spec for $50K recently, his was out of warranty.

My current mind set, if I am in for $60K+, I'm waiting for the all wheel drive option strictly for performance.

And yes, performance matters to me, even though I do drive a Smart ED, that's my commute car, not my weekend and trip car...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 22, 2018, 09:24:01 pm »
Co-worker of mine shows me the invite today but will wait until the AWD become available ... mid /end 2018?
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 22, 2018, 09:27:17 pm »
Got the invite email today.
Looks like $68K out the door (Ontario rebate and taxes inc).

That's RWD, 500 km range battery, audio + glass roof (aka upgrades package), autopilot, red paint, base 18" wheels (upgrade aftermarket later).

Compared that to the price we paid for a loaded (every option) CPO (used) Tesla Model S we bought 2.5 years ago, the Model 3 is not any cheaper to own and drive.  If anything, the S with free supercharging is cheaper since we do 30% of our KM on the Tesla charging network.

Our S has 414 km range, 5.4s 0-100, RWD, air suspension, premium audio, panoramic sunroof, upgraded interior (lighting, etc).   Really, only missing auto-pilot as a comparison.   Still has another year of full warranty and 3 more years of battery+motor warranty.
For reference a fellow owner sold his 2013 S with similar spec for $50K recently, his was out of warranty.

My current mind set, if I am in for $60K+, I'm waiting for the all wheel drive option strictly for performance.

And yes, performance matters to me, even though I do drive a Smart ED, that's my commute car, not my weekend and trip car...

For that price, why not just buy another used S IMO....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: March 22, 2018, 11:32:30 pm »
Co-worker of mine shows me the invite today but will wait until the AWD become available ... mid /end 2018?

AWD +long range late 2018..For US orders.

They've been delayed...again!!

https://insideevs.com/tesla-pushes-back-awd-long-range-model-3-late-2018/

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 23, 2018, 12:15:20 am »

Been very much thinking the same thing.

Currently : Tesla CPO (used) P85D going for $100K (taxes inc) loaded with options and V1 autopilot with 4 year warranty.
If I wait to next year, the price will be even better on the same.

If Model 3 AWD delays in Canada past mid year, then the Ontario rebate is likely gone, making Model 3 AWD almost $90K, within striking range of used P85D.

Having driven the P85D loaner for a week last year, the stunning initial acceleration is attractive as a feature/capability that a RWD Tesla like my 85 or the current RWD Model 3 cannot match.

I just far prefer smaller cars than our S.   My wife prefers the size of the S for her weekly business trips though.   First world problems for sure, but thanks for listening.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 23, 2018, 12:21:12 am »
AWD +long range late 2018..For US orders.

My order screen still says mid-2018 for AWD.
Yet, I can order initial production (RWD, big battery, upgrades) today for as-quoted 4-6 week delivery.
I'm not the only one holding off, fellow owners I know are in same decision place, preferring AWD.

I understand why Tesla would continue to open order windows for the initial production cars, just one config, reduced complexity for them, huge order backlog, so they know they can just keep opening up orders for those down the line if those further up in line continue to hold off for different config (AWD, standard battery, white interior, etc).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 23, 2018, 12:29:29 am »

I understand why Tesla would continue to open order windows for the initial production cars,

Well Musk has said tons of things about the Model III that haven't been true....

And the production window keeps getting pushed down...not as any sort of plan like you think, but merely due to incompetence and production issues.

FWIW, he's got 7 days to go to reach his multiple time promised 2500 units per week production.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:44:11 am by rrocket »

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #1549 on: March 23, 2018, 08:24:55 am »

Been very much thinking the same thing.

Currently : Tesla CPO (used) P85D going for $100K (taxes inc) loaded with options and V1 autopilot with 4 year warranty.
If I wait to next year, the price will be even better on the same.

If Model 3 AWD delays in Canada past mid year, then the Ontario rebate is likely gone, making Model 3 AWD almost $90K, within striking range of used P85D.

Having driven the P85D loaner for a week last year, the stunning initial acceleration is attractive as a feature/capability that a RWD Tesla like my 85 or the current RWD Model 3 cannot match.

I just far prefer smaller cars than our S.   My wife prefers the size of the S for her weekly business trips though.   First world problems for sure, but thanks for listening.

You raise a really good point.  Model S cars have indeed held their value quite well but they're still a very tempting target with the Model 3 being priced as high as it is. 

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #1550 on: March 23, 2018, 10:44:41 am »

I understand why Tesla would continue to open order windows for the initial production cars,

Well Musk has said tons of things about the Model III that haven't been true....

And the production window keeps getting pushed down...not as any sort of plan like you think, but merely due to incompetence and production issues.

FWIW, he's got 7 days to go to reach his multiple time promised 2500 units per week production.

according to the Bloomberg tracker they are currently at 805 units a week - going to take a wild guess and say he's not going to make it...again!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:34:23 pm by conwelpic »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1551 on: March 23, 2018, 10:54:30 am »

according to the Bloomberg tracker they are currently at 805 units a week - going to take a wild guess and say he's not going to make it  ;D

How dare you question our lord and savior Elon?!?!?!?!?  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #1552 on: March 23, 2018, 12:09:34 pm »
the Canadian guy from the Model 3 Club just posted a video on the Canadian configurator, here's the breakdown:

Base at $45,600 coming early 2019 (354 km range)
dual motor AWD available mid 2018

Long range battery (499 km) - $11,900 ($57,500)
Premium upgrade - $6,600 ($64,100)
claiming delivery in 4-6 weeks ???

Exterior colours:  Black included, any other colour $1,300 ($65,400)
18" wheel with covers standard
19" sport wheels - $2000 ($67,400)

0-100 long range battery - 5.4 seconds
0-100 standard battery - 5.9 seconds

Enhanced Autopilot - $6,600 (with vehicle order) $7,900 later
Full self driving capability - $4000 (with vehicle order) $5,300 later

vehicle qualifies for the $14,000 Ontario rebate, but not yet on the Ontario Government website.  Also will qualify in BC and Quebec.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:13:03 pm by conwelpic »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 26, 2018, 07:11:53 pm »
Update:

Family visit to Tesla store on Saturday to review the Model 3 in person.

Me : Prefer to keep the Model S over getting the rear wheel drive Model 3 in currently available to configure for 4-8 week delivery window.

Wife : Prefers the Model X, DOH!   Didn't see this one coming.  Damn.  That's $70K above the Model 3 for the config she wants.  She felt the 3 was nice, and liked the size and sporty feel of it, but far prefers the Model X dash, windshield, ease of entry and automatic tail gate and falcon doors.

Kids : Highly approve, prefer the Model 3 over the S due to newer technology.

Spent an hour going over the Model 3 top to bottom, had lots of time even though the store was packed, the sales reps were very helpful and patiently walked my wife through every option and nuance of the car.

I had already seen the car in the US many months ago, and read countless reviews and watched videos to learn, so nothing new for me.

My wife's verdict : She really likes the sporty feeling of the Model 3, and recommended to buy the Model 3 immediately, don't want for all wheel drive, take it on a road trip this summer, and in a few years, upgrade to an off-lease Model X.

Will post back later, might be clicking "buy now" tonight, or not, am a bit stuck on wanting the all wheel drive for performance reasons.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 26, 2018, 07:16:34 pm »
Update:

Me : Prefer to keep the Model S over getting the rear wheel drive Model 3 in currently available to configure for 4-8 week delivery window.

Wife : Prefers the Model X, DOH!   Didn't see this one coming.  Damn.  That's $70K above the Model 3 for the config she wants.  She felt the 3 was nice, and liked the size and sporty feel of it, but far prefers the Model X dash, windshield, ease of entry and automatic tail gate and falcon doors.

Spent an hour going over the Model 3 top to bottom, had lots of time even though the store was packed, the sales reps were very helpful and patiently walked my wife through every option and nuance of the car.

I had already seen the car in the US many months ago, and read countless reviews and watched videos to learn, so nothing new for me.

My wife's verdict : She really likes the sporty feeling of the Model 3, and recommended to buy the Model 3 immediately, don't want for all wheel drive, take it on a road trip this summer, and in a few years, upgrade to an off-lease Model X.

Will post back later, might be clicking "buy now" tonight, or not, am a bit stuck on wanting the all wheel drive for performance reasons.

Buy wife crappy Model III.

Sell your S and replace with another S with AWD.

Done and done.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 26, 2018, 09:39:06 pm »
Update:

Buy wife crappy Model III.

Sell your S and replace with another S with AWD.

Done and done.

Buy neither.  Go to the Audi or Jag dealership and plunk your cash down on a I pace or E-tron

But...but..but...those aren't trendy enough!!

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #1557 on: March 28, 2018, 09:17:02 am »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1558 on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:00 am »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstocks/tesla-is-just-months-from-a-total-collapse-says-hedge-fund-manager/ar-BBKMC9D?li=AAggNb9

People who are known for shorting stocks should be banned from receiving press time.

While I agree with you, there is some truth to it.  Tesla will run out of cash.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 28, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »
Yep...

Expect about $1 billion loss this quarter