Author Topic: NEW 2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan and Hatch  (Read 1603 times)

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
NEW 2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan and Hatch
« on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:14 pm »
I would imagine that some members of Autos.ca have purchased and are now driving the NEW Subaru Impreza Sedan or the five Door Impreza Hatch. I would be interested to know if you are satisfied with your new Impreza and what are your impressions of the new car.

I'm thinking of buying one and it would be valuable to me to get some feedback from people who are driving one of these new Imprezas.

Is it all you expected it to be, are you happy with it, are you disappointed with it, would you recommend it to a friend, is there a "fly in the ointment?" That sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and any advice you care to give  :)

LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: NEW 2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan and Hatch
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:11:09 pm »
Have you driven one?

A co worker cross shopped the Impreza hatch, Golf Wagon and Civic Hatch.

The Impreza was dismissed right away because of ride, handling and NVH. Interior quality wasn't on par either.

They were shocked by how much they disliked it since it was their favorite going into the test drives.

The Civic won out because​ of three lower purchase price and perceived lower operating costs.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:54:24 pm »
Have you driven one?

A co worker cross shopped the Impreza hatch, Golf Wagon and Civic Hatch.

The Impreza was dismissed right away because of ride, handling and NVH. Interior quality wasn't on par either.

They were shocked by how much they disliked it since it was their favorite going into the test drives.

The Civic won out because​ of three lower purchase price and perceived lower operating costs.

No I haven't as yet :-[

My main attraction to the Impreza is the AWD, I thought it would be very nice to drive in the winter and also be pleasant to drive in the summer. However, some of my pals tell me to just by a Front wheel drive car that appeals to me and put four really good snow tires on it for the winter.

I'm still think'n.

Thanks very much for the advice  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 12:29:16 am »
Have you driven one?

You really need to go and do a test drive to see if YOU even like it. No matter what everybody says here, it won't matter if you just don't like how the car feels.

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 01:05:19 am »
Have you driven one?

You really need to go and do a test drive to see if YOU even like it. No matter what everybody says here, it won't matter if you just don't like how the car feels.

Yes, your quite right, the next time I get a day off I'll take one out for a good stiff test drive, I would like to test the Sport Sedan with the paddle shifters and see if they give the car a little more GRUNT.  We shall see what we shall see  :o  Its too bad that the salesman has to be in the car ;)

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:31 am »
If you can, drive a couple of different vehicles within a couple of days.
In a two day period I drove a new RAV4, CX5, and Forester Turbo.  All were top end models.
Driving a vehicle while the last vehicles you tested are still freshly in your mind is very helpful.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:10:09 pm »
We have a 2014 Subaru Impreza sedan (as part of the family fleet) with paddle shifters which is going to end it's lease in the next few months. We also have a 2016 Civic LX also on lease. Like most people I decided on the Subaru because of  AWD. But the wind and road noise is simply too much. The dealer called us and invited us to test drive the 2017 Impreza to replace the current Impreza and while they have certainly improved on NVH, there is simply no comparison with the Honda Civic which is in another class in that area. So unless AWD is an absolute requirement I would go with something else.  It is also interesting that for about $50-$70 more per month you could also look at the Camry, especially the upcoming 2018 Camry which I think is going to really up it's game especially on the 4 cylinder engine and 8 speed transmission front. I am also waiting for the Camry to hit showrooms in August before deciding on a final replacement for the 2014 Impreza.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 11:09:34 am »
We have a 2014 Subaru Impreza sedan (as part of the family fleet) with paddle shifters which is going to end it's lease in the next few months. We also have a 2016 Civic LX also on lease. Like most people I decided on the Subaru because of  AWD. But the wind and road noise is simply too much. The dealer called us and invited us to test drive the 2017 Impreza to replace the current Impreza and while they have certainly improved on NVH, there is simply no comparison with the Honda Civic which is in another class in that area. So unless AWD is an absolute requirement I would go with something else.  It is also interesting that for about $50-$70 more per month you could also look at the Camry, especially the upcoming 2018 Camry which I think is going to really up it's game especially on the 4 cylinder engine and 8 speed transmission front. I am also waiting for the Camry to hit showrooms in August before deciding on a final replacement for the 2014 Impreza.

Maybe road noise from the tires. I drove one and it was pretty quiet. Actually, I think this will be an excellent platform for the next WRX / STI.  Having said that, we have had several loaner Civics while our Pilot has been in for regular maintenance and I found them excessively cheap and very noisey.  Note: not the new Civic which is on another planet better.

Historically all Hondas had excessive road noise and a above normal harsh ride. The 2016 Civic is the first Honda where there is a drastic improvement in NVH and interior quality e.g. the 2016 Civic has far superior NVH compared to our old 2003 Accord V6. The 2017 Impreza is certainly better for NVH than the pre 2016 Civics but Honda has made an enormous leap with the 2016 Civic, probably why it's selling so well.