Author Topic: Noto got some kayaks!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Noto got some kayaks!
« on: September 11, 2021, 12:42:49 pm »
Wifey has a former colleague from Guelph who has two hardshell sit-in kayaks (brand unknown) and a POS SOT Pelican kayak she got from Canuck Tire for $500  that she bought so her elderly black lab can come along (and meanwhile be completely incapable of tracking straight.  Over the past few years, the friend has taken us out on Guelph Lake and we've really come to enjoy being out on the water.

Like many, I wasn't willing to deal with the storage or transport of hardshell kayaks.  I also didn't want a tandem as I don't want our marriage to fail  :rofl2:

I was debating between the Oru Inlet kayak, which is a seriously interesting design (foldable, like origami) and would be really easy to transport and maintain, and the Sea Eagle Razorlite 393, which is inflatable (100% drop stitch).  I briefly looked at other drop stitch units and can't to the conclusion that the Razorlite was the best of them in terms of durability and design.

The cost between the Oru and Razorlite is similar, with the latter being pricier only because I'm lazy and wanted an electric pump.  Both had to be shipped from the US and shipping, taxes, and duties hurt reeeeaaaal bad... But c'est la vie.

I decided against the Oru as some users have pointed out that a self-rescue/re-entry is nearly impossible unless you shove float bags inside both the bow and stern behind the bulkheads (which other reviewers have suggested don't stand up to much abuse, along with the velcro she other straps).  The difficulty with re-entry alone was enough for me to decide on inflatables to protect wifey and her disdain for being cold and wet.

So I ordered the Razorlite 393 (2 of them) with the standard paddle (which I'll probably regret not upgrading to the carbon ones, but I figure that I can just buy better ones in Toronto if they're not good), and then hundreds on the necessary accessories (PFDs, the electric 2-stage pump, dry bags, throw ropes, neoprene grips to protect the surgeon hands, hand bilge pump, etc - Amazon has been busy and racking in my money).

Sorry to post before they arrive (I have literally everything else but the kayaks themselves 😂), but I figured why not post here in case someone knows better than I do and I can still cancel the order!

(Don't bother trying to convince me away from inflatables - keep in mind also that we lease cars (well, once our Fozzie is gone, which will be within the next 2 years) and we'd have to get new racks all the time and rush the paint too much).  I can fit both kayaks in the trunk of my 3 so that's pretty amazing in terms of portability, and we're living with the in-laws while our house is still being built in Unionville -end of March ETA - so storage is a big concern.

I plan on using them until it's way too cold, so likely into late October or later - hopefully I can post some pics once they arrive.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Noto got some kayaks!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 12:58:45 pm »
Congrats.  It's always nice to get out on the water.

How's the 3 holding up?  Still enjoying it?  Regretting not getting a hatch?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 01:50:33 pm »
Congrats.  It's always nice to get out on the water.

How's the 3 holding up?  Still enjoying it?  Regretting not getting a hatch?
Haha - definitely not regretting the sedan.  I love the lines and it's quiet compared to the hatch (my brother in law has the GS FWD hatch and while similar, it's much louder on the road).

The Razorlite kayaks fold up into a backpack that measures 22x22x12" - will easily fit in my trunk - out of sight and out of mind.

https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/393rl

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 06:15:52 pm »

^^posted those images in the Mazda 3 thread, but pictured here again to show that they fit easily in the Mazda - 1 in the back seat and one in the trunk.  They both fit in the trunk of the Forester, but I like driving my car better 😎

Some more pics:

We absolutely love these - they're very stable, track super straight (flipside is with the skeg inserted, they're difficult to turn though different strokes help such as a wide C or J).

They're really easy to pump up (electric dual stage pump from iRocker) and deflate/fold up, but they definitely do need time to fully dry out at the end of the season):

(Excuse my dad's dated carpet -we're still waiting for our house to finish being constructed)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 06:42:16 pm »
Look like really nice quantity kayaks.  Do you use them much?  How fast do they inflate/deflate?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 07:21:49 pm »
3 times this so far - we only got them 2 weeks ago.

With the electric pump, they inflate to 10psi (HERCULES!) under 2 mins per chamber (3 per kayak).  We're on the water about 15 mins after we park, about 10 mins to deflate and pack away).

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 07:29:41 pm »

With the electric pump, they inflate to 10psi (HERCULES!) under 2 mins per chamber (3 per kayak).  We're on the water about 15 mins after we park, about 10 mins to deflate and pack away).
Considering how quickly they inflate and the ease of transport, why would anyone buy something else? 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 11:17:35 pm »
Man you look sooooooo short in that one picture, can't even see your head beyond that backpack. :poke:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 07:55:27 am »
Very cool Noto!  :thumbup:  Looks heavy though.  How much do they weigh including pack? 

We will likely get some inflatable paddle boards next year to carry around in the boat.  There's a lot of really cool inlets around the river system here that we'd like to explore and paddle boards would be ideal for that.  Also, our dog is used to paddle boards and at ~90lbs he fits much better on a board than a kayak. 

Edit:  Made me laugh reading your comment about the POS Pelican kayak.  This summer my wife and I stayed at a wilderness resort in NS that was adjacent to a fast moving river.  They had a collection of cheap kayaks there that guest were welcome to use.  The first one I grabbed was a cheapy Pelican and I flipped it over as soon as I tried to get inside.  I put that back right away and grabbed a sit-on-top style.  That was easy to get on and stay afloat but it was still a POS, and so was the paddle.  Just like with everything the equipment makes the difference.  I've got friends that won't even try kayaking because the the one time they did they got into a cheapie and it flipped right away. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 08:06:37 am by KD »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 08:28:23 am »

Considering how quickly they inflate and the ease of transport, why would anyone buy something else?

performance on the water, for one. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:23:49 am »

performance on the water, for one.
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that these inflatables are as good as ANY hardshell kayak, but shy of a $2,000+ touring model that weighs 50+lbs, these compare nearly identically on the water to most hardshell touring kayaks and much better than ANY sit on top.

Very cool Noto!  :thumbup:  Looks heavy though.  How much do they weigh including pack? 
They're not heavy - 33lbs with everything in the pack.  They fold up quite small, but the backpack is designed for the 393m model and the tandem 473metre long units (plus two seats, paddles, etc all fit in that bag).

This was primarily the reason for us getting inflatable kayaks- I didn't want to carry or hoist 50+ lb hardshells onto the roof of a Forester.

The only real downside is the need to let them fully dry, which adds the time and effort of setting them up again at home. On the plus side, it forces good maintenance of the investment.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 11:18:57 am »
Why would a cheapie sit in Pelican be easy to flip over an expensive version?  Usually the cheapies are built for stability with a  big primary roll resistance. If you are flipping these in "normal" situations I would say the problem lies elsewhere.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 11:30:49 am »
I've never flipped out of a kayak of any sort, though I do have some concerns regarding certain foldable kayaks (Oru Inlet, specifically) and re-entry for whatever reason.  Our inflatables even if 100% full of water still remain afloat - I'd imagine you'd have to shove some float bags behind the bulkheads of the Oru Inlet for it to stay afloat if flipped.

For me, I wanted touring - I'm not going whitewater or in any oceans, so straight trackability and ease of set up/take down were more important.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 11:35:56 am »
Oh sorry I should have quoted KDs post. Your inflatables look cool and if they work for you that is great. The key to kayaks are having them somewhere where they aren't in the way but convenient to access. I have an old one and a canoe hanging in my garage rafters. Cheapie pulley system makes loading on the truck a 5 minute affair which is good since I only use them a handful of times each year. I may abandon them soon at my buddy's place on the lake. ..

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 12:37:21 pm »
Oh sorry I should have quoted KDs post. Your inflatables look cool and if they work for you that is great. The key to kayaks are having them somewhere where they aren't in the way but convenient to access. I have an old one and a canoe hanging in my garage rafters. Cheapie pulley system makes loading on the truck a 5 minute affair which is good since I only use them a handful of times each year. I may abandon them soon at my buddy's place on the lake. ..
My dad and brother both use the pulleys for their bikes and they love them.  I'm ok with using that as well, but my issue is moreso hoisting and latching them once at the water of choice - I.e. getting them off and then back on the car away from home.

I love hardshell kayaks, but they weren't in the cards for us this go-around.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 07:23:19 pm »
Why would a cheapie sit in Pelican be easy to flip over an expensive version?  Usually the cheapies are built for stability with a  big primary roll resistance. If you are flipping these in "normal" situations I would say the problem lies elsewhere.

:rofl2:  Just seeing this now, and yeah you're probably right.  It's been years since I got into a whitewater kayak and there was booze involved.  I was on vacation and didn't go there to paddle but I couldn't resist the urge to take one out after a few gin + tonics.   ;D