Author Topic: Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees  (Read 303162 times)

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees
« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:40 am »
I recently bought a pre-owned car and the dealer wanted me to pay for etching, fabric protection and whatnot.
I gave him a big NO.
When I pricked up the car I asked for a printout of the maintenance history. Etching, fabric protection and all that was done (charged) twice already.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Re: Etching and Nitrogen Fees
« Reply #341 on: November 14, 2017, 05:42:42 pm »
god.. that happens a lot at some dealers. we mark it on the file if a trade has anything like that done. doing a second time is such bull. a few local dealers to us are notorious for it...

agree with rocket that it just shouldn't be carte blanche for fools being separated from their payola... i think the term "fool" would need to be defined as someone willfully ignorant. just not understanding or being naive is different from being dumb. and even the dumb shouldn't be fleeced... maybe just not get the *best* deal (because hey... WE are the only ones who can get those best deals! dealers and such have to make money on someone, and it won't be us right?)

wheel, you were at an ontario dealer right? and you agreed on a price with the sales staff? well, that price legally has to be the price they charge you. if they THEN added those safety packages, then what they did WASN'T on this side of illegal... it was plain wrong and they could get in big crap. now, if the price you agreed to at the salespersons desk just happened to include those items and you just had an issue when you saw them itemized... well, then that is just the way they do things and it didn't change the number... so no biggie...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline AcinonyxJubatus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 25, 2019, 09:30:14 pm »
god.. that happens a lot at some dealers. we mark it on the file if a trade has anything like that done. doing a second time is such bull. a few local dealers to us are notorious for it...

agree with rocket that it just shouldn't be carte blanche for fools being separated from their payola... i think the term "fool" would need to be defined as someone willfully ignorant. just not understanding or being naive is different from being dumb. and even the dumb shouldn't be fleeced... maybe just not get the *best* deal (because hey... WE are the only ones who can get those best deals! dealers and such have to make money on someone, and it won't be us right?)

wheel, you were at an ontario dealer right? and you agreed on a price with the sales staff? well, that price legally has to be the price they charge you. if they THEN added those safety packages, then what they did WASN'T on this side of illegal... it was plain wrong and they could get in big crap. now, if the price you agreed to at the salespersons desk just happened to include those items and you just had an issue when you saw them itemized... well, then that is just the way they do things and it didn't change the number... so no biggie...

What the dealers said to me regarding the etching fee is if the car got stolen then I will get $5000 from the car company. In the invoice I can see the etching fee is showing $399

I am buying a new car from the dealer by the way. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 25, 2019, 11:00:12 pm »

What the dealers said to me regarding the etching fee is if the car got stolen then I will get $5000 from the car company. In the invoice I can see the etching fee is showing $399

I am buying a new car from the dealer by the way.
It cost them $75 to etch.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 26, 2019, 12:31:20 pm »
When people bring up nitrogen, I’m always tempted to tell them I don’t want ANY nitrogen in my tires, and see what they do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #345 on: December 27, 2019, 10:58:06 am »
heh.. that would be interesting! most sales staff aren't the type to have paid much attention in science class, so they won't do anything except tell you "no problem, we can do that!"

Acin, the etching isn't worth a whole lot. in theory, it provides protection, but most thieves don't really care. I'd have to look real hard to find one time that etching helped find a car. the only thing I could see it doing is providing the location of some parts should the police ever recover a stolen car missing it's vin.

the 5k thing is if they don't recover the car after a theft, the etching company will provide 5k towards your next purchase at the store originally purchased at. unlikely to ever get taken advantage of, but yeah, at least it's something. as previously mentioned, etching is a way for the etching company to make money, for the dealer to act like they are trying to protect their lot, and the dealer to add a bit of profit to each car that isn't commissionable/add to business office profit.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 02, 2021, 08:42:12 pm »
This seems like the place for this article!!   ;D

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/12/you-gotta-take-the-trucoat-toyota-customer-alleges-dealer-bad-behavior/

I'd not be the least bit shocked if this happened.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2021, 11:25:44 am »
oh it happened at places even pre-covid... the stores who advertised the lowest prices that seemed too good to be true would make you take the stuff... they were/are just better at it than this store from years of practice. if you say no to all of the offered products, suddenly the car just isn't available/your couldn't get approved, so they slide to another vehicle or factory order with a better chance of profit.

with the current market, some dealers have stock at about 1/4 of usual. so if they were making 1500 per copy and that kept them all paid and doors open, they now need to find a way to make that same amount of profit on a quarter of the cars. be it added products, increased profit on it's own, steal some trades... in the end, it's just not a good time to buy unless you really need to. some stores are upfront and charging a "market adjustment", some are adding mandatory dealer options but i the end, it just means you are paying more for the cars.

this dealer is in a tough spot as OMVIC would call it non compliance with all in pricing given that they are making the products mandatory. while they can get a slap on the wrist, doesn't really help the customer much.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #348 on: December 06, 2021, 12:34:03 pm »
I told the dealer flat out, I don't need their nitrogen, etching and locking wheel nuts,
"but sir, they are all included in the Alberta Package, you also get a block heater in that"
Me- "cool, Ill take the block heater"

dealer- "what about the nitrogen, it helps tire longevity and safety?!?! We can't take it out...."

Me- "riiigggghhhhhttt, yeah, no I refuse to pay for 3/4 of that package, you do with it whatever you wish, I don't want/need it"

dealer- "ok, Ill see what I can do, but the nitrogen will already be in the tires, I guess you want that for free??"

me- "no, I didn't ask for it or want it, like I told you, take it out and put it in another car, use a safeway bag to trap it"

Just painful that this kind of :censor: still happens.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 06, 2021, 02:41:35 pm »
I told the dealer flat out, I don't need their nitrogen, etching and locking wheel nuts,
"but sir, they are all included in the Alberta Package, you also get a block heater in that"

dealer- "what about the nitrogen, it helps tire longevity and safety?!?! We can't take it out...."

Me- "riiigggghhhhhttt, yeah, no I refuse to pay for 3/4 of that package, you do with it whatever you wish, I don't want/need it"

dealer- "ok, Ill see what I can do, but the nitrogen will already be in the tires, I guess you want that for free??"

me- "no, I didn't ask for it or want it, like I told you, take it out and put it in another car, use a safeway bag to trap it"

We can't take it out??

You should say "let me show you! " and proceed to air down the tires.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 06, 2021, 02:44:23 pm »

We can't take it out??

Thats going to be what happens if they mention it again lol

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 06, 2021, 02:45:35 pm »

We can't take it out??

Bring a valve stem tool to make it quicker...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #352 on: December 06, 2021, 04:06:19 pm »
WAIT! They can't take out the nitrogen but they were able to take out the air to put in nitrogen? So once you put nitrogen in a tire it can never come out? Who would have known.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 06, 2021, 04:07:31 pm »
WAIT! They can't take out the nitrogen but they were able to take out the air to put in nitrogen? So once you put nitrogen in a tire it can never come out? Who would have known.  ;D

Apparently it becomes one with the rim......

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #354 on: December 06, 2021, 04:39:37 pm »

We can't take it out??

Bring a valve stem tool to make it quicker...

They should just start selling cars online, like they do OE parts now.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.