Author Topic: Emira Waitlist or Boxter/Cayman GTS  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
Emira Waitlist or Boxter/Cayman GTS
« on: April 30, 2024, 04:19:46 pm »
After 5 years and 12000km's  ::) I've decided it's time to switch out the Vette.  It's been a great car and there's lots I've enjoyed with it, but the size has never been a good fit with me, I'd prefer something smaller.  Other than a short lived fling with a $1500 Fiero 30 years ago I've never had a mid-engine sports car.  I went to Lotus and they're saying 12-16 months wait for an Emira (maybe sooner as they've been ramping up production), or there's a 2023 Cayman GTS with 6000km's that has more options than I'd spec myself, or I can get an allocation for a Boxster GTS with delivery in early Aug and spec it exactly how I want.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'll do, just curious to hear other opinions!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: Emira Waitlist or Boxter/Cayman GTS
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 04:25:28 pm »
Let me know if you want to take a spin in mine.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 04:39:45 pm »

Thanks!  How have you been enjoying it?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 04:47:23 pm »
I'd lean towards the Boxster/Cayman myself... but I've been kinda watching 981 prices lately :shuffle:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 04:53:54 pm »
Man, talk about a couple of great choices.  It’s like trying to pick between super models, no wrong choice.

My question for you would be how close is the Lotus dealer from you?  The reason I ask is there is quite a high chance that if you go with the Emira you have to accept some Lotus gremlins along the way.  Not saying they aren’t worth putting up with, but might be less so if the dealer is a good distance away.

Another question I had was, if you went Emira what engine and transmission would you be choosing, and while we are at it, what transmission would you pick for the Porsche?

I’m assuming the current C8 Vette is not on the list due to its size. 

Is this a bucket list car, is mid engined vehicle on that list?

Is there any other non-mid engined cars on your list?  Not that there are a huge amount of sports cars to pick from even when factoring in the $120k+ price tag.  Am I wrong to say that you were interested in the new Nissan Z?  Any interest in maybe a Supra, it’s right size and sort of a bargain for the amount of performance you get?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 04:55:43 pm »

Thanks!  How have you been enjoying it?

Yes, whenever I get a chance to drive it.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 07:44:39 pm »
Think I'd go Porsche route here.  Lotus would be super cool but too much of a dice roll for my liking.  A few years ago I'd say Boxster > Cayman, but think I think the Cayman would get more use and is likely the better driver.   Tough choices!  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 08:08:39 pm »
Think I'd go Porsche route here.  Lotus would be super cool but too much of a dice roll for my liking.  A few years ago I'd say Boxster > Cayman, but think I think the Cayman would get more use and is likely the better driver.   Tough choices!  ;D

Agreed with all that. Apparently GTS 4.0 allocations are relatively easy to get these days as well, which is nice.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 08:16:27 pm »
After 5 years and 12000km's  ::) I've decided it's time to switch out the Vette.  It's been a great car and there's lots I've enjoyed with it, but the size has never been a good fit with me, I'd prefer something smaller.  Other than a short lived fling with a $1500 Fiero 30 years ago I've never had a mid-engine sports car.  I went to Lotus and they're saying 12-16 months wait for an Emira (maybe sooner as they've been ramping up production), or there's a 2023 Cayman GTS with 6000km's that has more options than I'd spec myself, or I can get an allocation for a Boxster GTS with delivery in early Aug and spec it exactly how I want.

So you can get an allocation for a Cayman GTS, custom, for delivery August 2024? I thought there were crazy wait times for these.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 08:56:53 pm »
Porsche...no brainer.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 09:00:58 pm »
Agreed Porsche

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 09:06:00 pm »
Man, talk about a couple of great choices.  It’s like trying to pick between super models, no wrong choice.

My question for you would be how close is the Lotus dealer from you?  The reason I ask is there is quite a high chance that if you go with the Emira you have to accept some Lotus gremlins along the way.  Not saying they aren’t worth putting up with, but might be less so if the dealer is a good distance away.

Another question I had was, if you went Emira what engine and transmission would you be choosing, and while we are at it, what transmission would you pick for the Porsche?

Is there any other non-mid engined cars on your list?  Not that there are a huge amount of sports cars to pick from even when factoring in the $120k+ price tag.  Am I wrong to say that you were interested in the new Nissan Z?  Any interest in maybe a Supra, it’s right size and sort of a bargain for the amount of performance you get?

Definitely great choices, I don’t think any could be wrong!  The closest Lotus dealer is about 2 doors down from the Porsche, so it’s wash on that, although I may need it more with the Lotus which is a concern.  That combined with space and questionable resale make Porsche the big winner, if the Emira wasn’t so nice to look at!

They’ll be manual which is why such a short list.  I was really following the Z, but more for nostalgia, I’ve always loved them, but the new one isn’t a far enough departure from my 12 years with my 2004

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 09:10:55 pm »

So you can get an allocation for a Cayman GTS, custom, for delivery August 2024? I thought there were crazy wait times for these.

I asked if they had either a Cayman or Boxster GTS allocation coming up, and it’s a Boxster with an Aug delivery.  I’m on the fence between them, I prefer the looks of the Cayman, but it is really nice driving with the top down
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 09:16:02 pm by Shorlaw »

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 09:16:13 pm »

I asked if they had a Boxster or Cayman allocation coming up, and it’s a Boxster with an Aug delivery.  I’m on the fence between them, I prefer the looks of the Cayman, but it is really nice driving with the top down

Can't agree with you more on the feeling of driving an open top car. They are both great choices either way and you won't be disappointed.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2024, 07:54:11 am »

Definitely great choices, I don’t think any could be wrong!  The closest Lotus dealer is about 2 doors down from the Porsche, so it’s wash on that, although I may need it more with the Lotus which is a concern.  That combined with space and questionable resale make Porsche the big winner, if the Emira wasn’t so nice to look at!

They’ll be manual which is why such a short list.  I was really following the Z, but more for nostalgia, I’ve always loved them, but the new one isn’t a far enough departure from my 12 years with my 2004
I'm not sure I'd be overly concerned with the resale values being that much different between the Emira and the Porsche.  Lotus seem to hold their value pretty well and this one has more appeal than any Lotus before it, not to mention it's the last ICE Lotus ever, but I guess that's the same argument for the Cayman.

I'm with you on the major issue being just how good looking the Emira is, it really is striking.  Have you ever owned a supercharged vehicle?  That could be a bucket list thing for a car enthusiast as well.

The accountant in me says the Cayman, order exactly what you want and get it at the end of the summer, but my heart says the Lotus is just so special.  The Porsche will be more reliable, better manual, better interior, and likely a better dealer experience.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2024, 08:53:18 am »
I'm going to Porsche on Friday so still have a couple days to decide.

Any feedback on the build so far?

PRNP28M7

Offline Woodrow

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: accord
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 09:06:49 am »
Buy the one you like more.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 09:10:13 am »
I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqdHKAHEodk

Does the tall gearing on the Boxter/Cayman ruin the fun of the manual?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 09:12:37 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 09:11:24 am »

PRNP28M7

That's a very nice spec. You don't often see those wheels.

The only thing I would change is the black door handles. I really dislike that look, partly because for years black denoted a base model while upper trims would get body colour handles. I know these are gloss, but it still reminds me of that.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 09:17:09 am »

PRNP28M7
Looks good.  I'm just glad you would choose an actual color and not just black/white/gray/silver.  Is there a choice for a gray interior?  I find black interiors are just so common now that even just a gray interior can be enough to really make an interior pop.  My dream combination for a sports car will always be green with a medium brown interior.