Author Topic: Importing and RIV inspections?  (Read 358 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Importing and RIV inspections?
« on: December 17, 2023, 12:21:16 am »
There's a car nearby that's been imported, but not inspected.   What is the cost and trouble of the RIV inspection?   I understand this is usually done at a participating CanadianTire, can they combine it with a Ontario safety or are they two very different things?
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Importing and RIV inspections?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 04:42:18 am »
There's a car nearby that's been imported, but not inspected.   What is the cost and trouble of the RIV inspection?   I understand this is usually done at a participating CanadianTire, can they combine it with a Ontario safety or are they two very different things?

I've done this many times. Last one was my 1999 911. So it's been a bit.

Here's how it went (IIRC)

1) RIV inspection is different from safety. I think the RIV fee was $200 collected at border last time (not positive what it is now. It's no doubt more $$ these days). And the RIV inspection from CDN Tire was included in that fee (unless that has changed).

2) Border agents mail in a portion of the form at the time you imported car, paid duties, etc. You'll then receive the "inspection" portion in the mail which you take to CDN Tire. This takes a week or so. While you're waiting for this, get a Recall Clearance Letter from the manufacturer as you'll need this to complete the RIV process.

3) VERY IMPORTANT!!  **YOU USED TO HAVE ONLY 45 DAYS FROM IMPORT TO HAVE RIV INSPECTION DONE, so time is of the essence! You don't get extra time (unless this has changed) and vehicle becomes "non compliant". I'd really, really want to make sure the car is within the window or they are trying to sell you a car you'll never be able to register.

4) Safety can be done at same time as RIV inspection (for a separate fee) if you know it doesn't need modifications that would otherwise lead to a failed safety ( inactive DRL,  for example).

And if the car has a rebuilt title, there's another very thorough inspection you need. Basically a Structural Safety. You get 1 year instead of 45 days in that case.

Also...make sure you have any and all the importation forms!! That is to say..you have proof that the vehicle was admitted properly (and legally!) and duties/taxes paid. If importation duties/fees are not paid, you'll be on the hook for that, too. And if 45 day window is closed, you're out of luck for registering.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 05:10:59 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 10:15:04 am »
Ron has it correct. Only thing I would add is it depends on the year of the car as well. Pretty sure anything more than 15yrs old doesn't require RIV. I didn't have to do it for my 951 when I imported it.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 11:29:55 am »
Owner seems a bit clueless. 
Says they imported it legally, but doesn't know what a RIV inspection is or that there's a 45 day time limit.   Supposed to have Ontario ownership and temporary plates.
Says he'll trade it in or sell it before time runs out, but RIV is buyer's problem, even though it clearly says on the RIV website it's his and he can get fined.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 01:31:05 pm »

. Pretty sure anything more than 15yrs old doesn't require RIV

Correct.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 02:00:12 pm »

. Pretty sure anything more than 15yrs old doesn't require RIV

Correct.

It's a 2010