Author Topic: Johnnymac's Much Too Early Car Buying Thread  (Read 25910 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Johnnymac's Much Too Early Car Buying Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2023, 07:05:17 am »
So to somewhat recap, we have a bunch of people saying that the BMW M2 likely makes the most sense, a few people who think I should just go cheaper and get a BRZ (not the worst suggestion), one that has said I should wait to hear what the new Nissan Nismo Z will be like, and a used Porsche. 

The M2 seems like a great fit, but there are draw backs.  First the dealer is 2 hours away, the price is definitely at the top of my budget, having to put a deposit down 2 years in advance, it's made in Mexico (could be fine but still makes you wonder), if they don't have the program where the first few years of maintenance is included it'll be pricy dealer maintenance.  I won't be putting a deposit down until I see a bunch of reviews of it, and I test drive the current gen 2 series (ideally the M240).  We are going to Moncton in April for the Kevin Hart show, so maybe by then reviews will be out and they'll have a 2 series to try.  I'll see if I can drive a BRZ the weekend before.  I don't think I can find anything else to drive prior to then.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2023, 02:02:16 pm »
Man the BMW sales guy is adamant that the freight and PDI of $3,595 is accurate, even though BMW.ca has it at $800 less?  So I emailed BMW Canada corporate to see what they say it is/should be.  Could this be a place where they add a dealer markup to slip it by customers?  The quote has the $499 admin fee separate, so it's not that added in there.  There's also this $120 "other dealer options" which may be the $100 black package things I added, but of course being a sales person he can't confirm or answer straight forward questions.  Looking forward to hearing what BMW Canada says.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2023, 03:22:13 pm »
Man the BMW sales guy is adamant that the freight and PDI of $3,595 is accurate, even though BMW.ca has it at $800 less?  So I emailed BMW Canada corporate to see what they say it is/should be.  Could this be a place where they add a dealer markup to slip it by customers?  The quote has the $499 admin fee separate, so it's not that added in there.  There's also this $120 "other dealer options" which may be the $100 black package things I added, but of course being a sales person he can't confirm or answer straight forward questions.  Looking forward to hearing what BMW Canada says.

Is the $120 the AC tax and tire tax or is this broken down separately?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2023, 03:24:56 pm »
Maybe the extra cost is for  Astroglide?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2023, 03:59:34 pm »

Is the $120 the AC tax and tire tax or is this broken down separately?
Nope, those things are separate.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2023, 04:01:31 pm »
Maybe the extra cost is for  Astroglide?
This is likely more accurate.  Got to love dealers who say, we don’t mark up new vehicles, and then adds a bunch of extras onto the quote.  I shouldn’t complain too much, add up the extras and it’s about $1,600 and $225 for all weather mats, definitely not as bad as some dealers are charging on “special” vehicles.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2023, 04:04:07 pm »
Hey Johnny - some interesting persepctive on the GR86 as well as driving it in the snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Oj138Jncg

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2023, 04:26:01 pm »

I hate when this happens, luckily my local BMW dealer is one of the more transparent sellers.  The mark up is $1,100 I bet its the etching foolishness or something or maybe just extra profit but they should be able to tell you, is there a manufacturer label or something you can check out? The dealer being two hours away is a nuisance but they only need servicing once per year unless you are a high KM driver. Most BMW dealers do have 3 years of free maintenance I believe (maybe that's their $1,100), at least mine does.  If you test drive the M240 I'm pretty sure you will want to buy the M2, because the M240 is awesome and with extra fastness it would be extra awesome!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2023, 05:21:15 pm »
Hey Johnny - some interesting persepctive on the GR86 as well as driving it in the snow.

Yeah I have followed their buying and driving experience. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2023, 05:27:15 pm »

SavageGeese also has a GR86 long termer.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2023, 05:52:10 pm »

SavageGeese also has a GR86 long termer.
There is no denying that the current GR86/BRZ is an incredibly fun car.  But I really don’t want to have regrets that I didn’t buy something a bit more special.  Plus wouldn’t you all be a little disappointed if I cheap out and just get one of these?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2023, 06:24:17 pm »

There is no denying that the current GR86/BRZ is an incredibly fun car.  But I really don’t want to have regrets that I didn’t buy something a bit more special.  Plus wouldn’t you all be a little disappointed if I cheap out and just get one of these?

1) Who cares what we think

2) If you really cared about us, you wouldn't have started this thread 2+ years early.   ;D

I've had some "special" cars over the years and other cars that were not special.  But they were all "fun".   IMO, "fun" was more important than special...and the GR86 is loads of fun.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2023, 06:35:48 pm »

1) Who cares what we think

2) If you really cared about us, you wouldn't have started this thread 2+ years early.   ;D

I've had some "special" cars over the years and other cars that were not special.  But they were all "fun".   IMO, "fun" was more important than special...and the GR86 is loads of fun.
1). Seeing as some of you are more knowledgeable than I, your opinions do actually matter to me.
2).  How long was Hannibal’s Porsche fund thread before he chose a car, put a deposit down, and when exactly does he get it?  At least I didn’t write it in a poem.

The difference between us is I have owned 3 somewhat fun cars and nothing really special.  Plus I have fun with my Civic, so now I want to taste special, even if only once in my life.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2023, 06:44:05 pm »

1). Seeing as some of you are more knowledgeable than I, your opinions do actually matter to me.

Our opinions are meaningless as soon as you add "special" to your needs. What I find special and you find special are likely vastly different.  The GR86 (or Miata) is "special" because they are loads of fun...even at sane speeds....and don't cost a boatload of cash. RWD manual, too.  In today's automarket...that qualifies as special IMO.

But...it's clearly not your definition of special.

Ignore all of us...and get what you like.  That's all that matters in the end.

Oh..and nobody said Hannibal was exonerated!   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 06:46:50 pm by rrocket »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2023, 07:06:04 pm »
Hey now! In my defence…….never mind. Carry on.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2023, 07:11:52 pm »
Well.... at least it's not as bad as Blueprint's musings.... AND you will actually take delivery of the car soon...ish...

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2023, 07:15:58 pm »
Well.... at least it's not as bad as Blueprint's musings.... AND you will actually take delivery of the car soon...ish...

Also...bonus points for a Porsche.   ;)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2023, 08:37:17 am »
Going back to the initial post - Challenger is in its final model year, we'll see if a gas option will be offered - probably yes with the new 6 - but all rumours point to electrics.

Random thoughts:

No one mentioned Miata ?!? What's wrong with you guys  ;D Seriously, the car was more "raw" than I expected, but slow car fast always wins in the real world, and they're cheap on gas. Hartop option.

Camaro - gone after the current generation, may come back as an electric sedan or crossover. My $35k 1LE, zero option tester remains one my favourite pressers ever - race-car reflexes, plenty of speed with the 2.0t, good on gas and won't overpower the rear meats and send you off in someone's front yard. Visibility not as bad once you're seated down in it.

Mustang - Dearborn-made German car - lots of power, too much at times, classy style (if not striped/airdammed to death) and decent ergonomics. GT just too damn stiff for real pavement.

BRZ/GT - the classic affordable sport coupe option, a tribute to a class of cars gone from the market long ago.

P-Cars / Bimmers - priced like a pairing of the above options. Fun for sure, but this is mistress money we're talking here. M240i is plenty fun, but no stick of course - a year round option however should you opt for a single car.

Of everything I've driven, the 4-cyl. Camaro 1LE made me feel like I was let loose on the street with a race car, for what is today Civic money - that one would be my pic IF 100% toy car.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2023, 08:49:11 am »
Going back to the initial post - Challenger is in its final model year, we'll see if a gas option will be offered - probably yes with the new 6 - but all rumours point to electrics.

Random thoughts:

No one mentioned Miata ?!? What's wrong with you guys  ;D Seriously, the car was more "raw" than I expected, but slow car fast always wins in the real world, and they're cheap on gas. Hartop option.

Camaro - gone after the current generation, may come back as an electric sedan or crossover. My $35k 1LE, zero option tester remains one my favourite pressers ever - race-car reflexes, plenty of speed with the 2.0t, good on gas and won't overpower the rear meats and send you off in someone's front yard. Visibility not as bad once you're seated down in it.

Mustang - Dearborn-made German car - lots of power, too much at times, classy style (if not striped/airdammed to death) and decent ergonomics. GT just too damn stiff for real pavement.

BRZ/GT - the classic affordable sport coupe option, a tribute to a class of cars gone from the market long ago.

P-Cars / Bimmers - priced like a pairing of the above options. Fun for sure, but this is mistress money we're talking here. M240i is plenty fun, but no stick of course - a year round option however should you opt for a single car.

Of everything I've driven, the 4-cyl. Camaro 1LE made me feel like I was let loose on the street with a race car, for what is today Civic money - that one would be my pic IF 100% toy car.

Thank you for the input, seeing as you have driven a lot more vehicles than me over the past decade or so.  The Miata didn't really interest as I'm not sure I'd enjoy owning a vert, hence why I would almost always choose the BRZ over it. 

Dodge isn't really a consideration, just too GT, not enough quality for the price, even though it's one of the best muscle cars of the last decade.

I wish GM would make a second generation of Camaro, but that doesn't seem to be in their plans (even if they plan to spend a lot of money on a next generation V8).

I believe if you get the magnetic ride suspension offered on the Mustang it makes the ride a lot better, and it would certainly be a must for me.  The big thing that kind of makes me question a Mustang is the need to store it in the winter, which would be a pain in the butt.  I just can't bring myself to driving a muscle car in the winter.

Seems like a lot of people are into the BMW M2 and the BRZ, which is half the price.  I think I'd likely only own a M car under warranty, so buying new (or near new) would be the only option, where as I could see myself buying a used BRZ without much worry of wallet crushing issues.

It is crazy that at one time (not long ago) you could get a Camaro 1LE 4 cylinder for what my Civic Si costs today.  Certainly would be a lot of car for the money, and likely the better option over a BRZ.  But I don't think the 1LE package is offered on it now, plus I'd feel a little lame having a 4 cylinder in a muscle car.  I bet a simple tune would make it quite the rocket.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2023, 08:55:39 am »

Random thoughts:

Thank you for the input, seeing as you have driven a lot more vehicles than me over the past decade or so.  The Miata didn't really interest as I'm not sure I'd enjoy owning a vert, hence why I would almost always choose the BRZ over it. 

Dodge isn't really a consideration, just too GT, not enough quality for the price, even though it's one of the best muscle cars of the last decade.

I wish GM would make a second generation of Camaro, but that doesn't seem to be in their plans (even if they plan to spend a lot of money on a next generation V8).

I believe if you get the magnetic ride suspension offered on the Mustang it makes the ride a lot better, and it would certainly be a must for me.  The big thing that kind of makes me question a Mustang is the need to store it in the winter, which would be a pain in the butt.  I just can't bring myself to driving a muscle car in the winter.

Seems like a lot of people are into the BMW M2 and the BRZ, which is half the price.  I think I'd likely only own a M car under warranty, so buying new (or near new) would be the only option, where as I could see myself buying a used BRZ without much worry of wallet crushing issues.

It is crazy that at one time (not long ago) you could get a Camaro 1LE 4 cylinder for what my Civic Si costs today.  Certainly would be a lot of car for the money, and likely the better option over a BRZ.  But I don't think the 1LE package is offered on it now, plus I'd feel a little lame having a 4 cylinder in a muscle car.  I bet a simple tune would make it quite the rocket.

I drove two previous-gen Mustangs, a GT coupe/stick/PP1 and a vert/Eb/auto with PP2 (mag shocks) - I would try the base setup and the PP2 then decide. PP1 is for people living in Florida. Lots of people here drive their Mustangs year-round.

Camaros don't sell well, but I do see base coupes every now and then, even in winter. My tester's soundtrack was at first a weird association with the big burly muscle car vibe, but it sounded raspy, sporty and went like stink. Car and Driver's 0-60 for this setup was in the 5's IIRC. The new V8 was required to meet emission regs in lucrative trucks.