Author Topic: VW "No longer Competitive"  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
Re: VW "No longer Competitive"
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2023, 03:06:10 pm »
, but the overall presentation from outside to inside styling is far more timeless than, say, the Korean brands

Funny how when we're talking VW style, particularly exterior, the euphemism for "boring" is "timeless".

And yet when the Japanese and Koreans had some "boring" designs they were called out for being...."boring".

I continue to think VW has some of the most uninspiring exterior designs on the market. In other words...boring.

The difference is that VW is trying to be boring while the Japanese and Koreans are not, but end up being boring.  Or flat our weird.

;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2023, 04:44:39 pm »
Would near to revoke my blood oath never to own a VW again.. Seemed like a good idea at the time but it has started to limit options as I get older...Anything GM, Dodge/Ram, VW... 

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2023, 02:42:27 pm »
Interestingly, over the past dozen years or so of getting to know most of the Cdn automotive media landscape, I'd say there are more VWs owned / driven by auto reviewers here than any other brand. While I get that statistically VW doesn't fare as well on the reliability ratings as the Japanese brands, I know of several folks who've had tremendous luck with their VWs, owning them for many years and driving many, many kms without any issues.  Anecdotal?  Sure, but there are a lot of 'em, and while my Audi was the worst car I've owned, that Jetta I had for a few years exceeded my expectations by a lot and I've recommended the current-gen Jetta many times.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2023, 03:49:19 pm »
Interestingly, over the past dozen years or so of getting to know most of the Cdn automotive media landscape, I'd say there are more VWs owned / driven by auto reviewers here than any other brand. While I get that statistically VW doesn't fare as well on the reliability ratings as the Japanese brands, I know of several folks who've had tremendous luck with their VWs, owning them for many years and driving many, many kms without any issues.  Anecdotal?  Sure, but there are a lot of 'em, and while my Audi was the worst car I've owned, that Jetta I had for a few years exceeded my expectations by a lot and I've recommended the current-gen Jetta many times.

I know of four top-tier automotive journalists, and one very well-known photographer, who own a Mk8 Golf R. All of them paid full price. There's also a journalist I love who has a Jetta...  :)

Global prognostications aside, I'll present my own (admittedly biased) opinion: our current portfolio is better geared to the needs of Canadian consumers than at any point in our history. We've had great cars throughout our history that, great as they were, sold in very low volumes. Or made very little money. Or both. This isn't sustainable - this is a business, and scale matters.

Feel free to disregard my outlook, but I think we're set for a very successful 2024 here in Canada.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:51:11 pm by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2023, 04:30:25 pm »
One thing about VW is they have pretty much always had stock on the lots the last few years. Like Honda dealers in that regard

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2023, 04:37:59 pm »

Global prognostications aside, I'll present my own (admittedly biased) opinion: our current portfolio is better geared to the needs of Canadian consumers than at any point in our history. .

But, no more wagons which were really popular in Canada.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2023, 04:38:56 pm »
Certainly interested on your perspective on this Patrick.

That being said, while basically not cross shopping at all when I bought my wagon, I don't think VW has something for me today. I think the dealership experience (every vw dealer I've been to, either in NB or ON, has been stupid expensive compared to others) + the fact that there isn't anything that really piques my attention (maybe the Golf R, but I the space is better in the wagon...) maybe highlights I'm not a regular customer :P

I do feel like by shifting direction VW may be moving away from its normal customer base (or at least the outdoorsy types who'd cross shop subarus), but maybe they don't have enough money  ;D

I certainly don't understand why the Atlas Cross exists though.

Global prognostications aside, I'll present my own (admittedly biased) opinion: our current portfolio is better geared to the needs of Canadian consumers than at any point in our history. .

But, no more wagons which were really popular in Canada.

Let's beat the dead horse some more. Give me a wagon (though with a manual), and maybe I'd buy another vw!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2023, 04:42:26 pm »
Agreed, VW doesn't have anything in the lineup that I would purchase. Love the GTI, but I need more room.

And I don't find the SUVs to be competitive.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2023, 04:44:48 pm »
Two colleagues here have MkVII Sportwagons, one I know is a manual, the other I'm not sure. One guy has a fleet of 10-20 cars that spread the '70s, '80s and '90s, and there are two GTIs in there (his daily is a Bolt). Many, many have Subarus and Mazdas. One guy has a current-gen Sentra and loves it. But nobody is driving high-end German cars, recent or otherwise.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2023, 04:51:04 pm »
I certainly don't understand why the Atlas Cross exists though.

It's quite popular here, I guess the looks, real 5-seater config and the turbo four are its virtues in our market.

I'm in the 7-seater 2.0t Atlas next month, looking forward to it after reviewing the thirsty V6 model twice in the past. Atlas nails the 3-row market wants, except for fuel economy. It was very popular in its early years in QC, maybe less so once gas prices shot up.

My 25 y.o. daughter was prime Taos material, yet she hated it, so to Mazda she went.

I miss my MkVII Golf a bit - to me it was peak Golf, pre-haptic, and the early ones like mine had sharp interiors.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2023, 06:34:00 pm »
One thing about VW is they have pretty much always had stock on the lots the last few years. Like Honda dealers in that regard

With respect, this is proof of the fallacy of anecdotal observations. By measurable data we have been among the most under supplied automakers through the last two years, with among the fastest inventory turn rates and lowest incentive spend levels.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2023, 06:35:41 pm »
The loss of the proper (quattro) 4motion with the Passat was a step back for sure. If VW wanted me to take a gamble on their products for long term ownership then they should offer a free 10 year/200k km powertrain warranty. The memories of 1.8T coil packs and 2.0T tsi still haunt me.. The old 2.8L V6s drank oil... Yikes.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2023, 06:40:02 pm »

I know of four top-tier automotive journalists, and one very well-known photographer, who own a Mk8 Golf R. All of them paid full price. There's also a journalist I love who has a Jetta...  :)

Global prognostications aside, I'll present my own (admittedly biased) opinion: our current portfolio is better geared to the needs of Canadian consumers than at any point in our history. We've had great cars throughout our history that, great as they were, sold in very low volumes. Or made very little money. Or both. This isn't sustainable - this is a business, and scale matters.

Feel free to disregard my outlook, but I think we're set for a very successful 2024 here in Canada.
I’m perfectly fine with you guys selling millions of CUVs and EVs, but for Christ sake make some products that are still stir the soul and speak to your old clientele.  No more manuals in the GTI or Golf R.  No more wagons.  How about a premium product like the Touareg or CC.  Outside of the current “Golfs” the products all seem built and styled to a price point and only focused on selling the maximum amount of cars.

It feels like you stopped catering to the customers that have bought VWs for decades.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2023, 07:01:07 pm »
Enthusiast don't pay the bills. Plain and simple.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2023, 07:05:52 pm »
Yup Toyota figured that out long ago

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2023, 07:09:20 pm »
Enthusiast don't pay the bills. Plain and simple.
I’m suggesting the Porsche scheme, where you sell the SUVs and 4 door sedans to support your passion products like the GT3, GT4, etc.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2023, 07:21:03 pm »

I’m perfectly fine with you guys selling millions of CUVs and EVs, but for Christ sake make some products that are still stir the soul and speak to your old clientele.  No more manuals in the GTI or Golf R.  No more wagons.  How about a premium product like the Touareg or CC.  Outside of the current “Golfs” the products all seem built and styled to a price point and only focused on selling the maximum amount of cars.

It feels like you stopped catering to the customers that have bought VWs for decades.

While I can’t say we’re ever going back to selling a portfolio of niche products, I think everyone - enthusiasts included - will be impressed by the stuff we’ve got in the pipeline. Let’s just say that lessons have been learned from recent missteps. There are plenty of us internally fighting the good fight.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2023, 07:24:41 pm »
Everyone I've known who has owned a VW has adored the car. Loved it.

What they didn't like was the (seemingly) endless, perplexing, little reliability issues. Particularly issues that seem to pop up way too early in the car's life.

All the journos that I know drive their press vehicles far more in a year than their owned, primary car. So maybe if you have a nearly endless supply of other cars to drive buying a VW makes sense and is an easier choice.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2023, 07:37:50 pm »

While I can’t say we’re ever going back to selling a portfolio of niche products, I think everyone - enthusiasts included - will be impressed by the stuff we’ve got in the pipeline. Let’s just say that lessons have been learned from recent missteps. There are plenty of us internally fighting the good fight.
God I hope so.  There will be opportunities in enthusiast products when more and more companies leave it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2023, 08:03:04 pm »

, I think everyone - enthusiasts included - will be impressed by the stuff we’ve got in the pipeline.

Soooooo...no more haptic buttons then? LOL [emoji38]