Author Topic: MINI drops manual transmissions  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
MINI drops manual transmissions
« on: September 06, 2023, 07:43:42 am »
At the launch of the new electric Cooper and Countryman, MINI officials mentioned that manual transmissions will end with the current cars, whose production ends in February 2024. I don't mind an electric MINI, but a gas MINI with an automatic? No way. I've always had a bit of MINI envy, but looks like it won't happen.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45012420/manual-transmission-mini-cooper-dead/
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: MINI drops manual transmissions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 08:51:57 am »
Very disappointing, but Mini has been getting less appealing for a while now. They dropped the manual when they upgraded the Countryman and Clubman JCWs to 300 hp. They've been cutting back on lots of options, particularly interior and exterior colours and other trim options. The customizability of Minis was half the fun of buying one. The new Mini looks plain weird from the rear, and they've ditched styling hallmarks like the chrome door handles and belt line. It's all very meh.

Kinda debating ordering a 2024 for my wife. Was looking at used ones but interest rates are much better on new, plus the benefit of having a warranty and paid maintenance. We'll see I guess.