Author Topic: Hi Everyone  (Read 975 times)

Offline coverspark

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: none
Hi Everyone
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:09 am »
Hey Forum members

Firstly , How are u .. hope u are having an excellent weekend.  I just got my G1 ( ontario ) yesterday and would be giving my G in the upcoming month ( have driving experience of 5+ years from another country ) . I'm looking to buy my first car around  July - Aug .  I'm confused what would be the right way to go and would like some advice

Coming to the budget - I can probably spend 22-30k ( loan ) for the car and Im looking for a CUV . The car would be used for daily city commute to work  and occasional weekend trips to nearby places from Toronto . I'm not a car enthusiast by any means and Just need a car which is reliable and serves me for a longer period of time without any hiccups . I liked the RAV4 / kona / c-hr  ( any other I should look out for ?? ) .  I have never driven in a snowy situation before , Is AWD absolutely essential for snowy situations ? Ideally I would like to get a car with more safety features and a middle trim (  not the low end or high end model ) version for some attached bells and whistles . android auto would be a huge plus . Is it advisable to wait for the 2019 models to drop and snatch the 2018 models on discounts or should I be opting for the newer models itself ?

on other hand considering i'm a new driver to Canada is it advisable to get  a used car around 10-15k  and use it for 1-2 years just to get my insurance / driving exp to a decent position and then go for a new car ?   

what would be the better choice in this situation ?  any pointers to a making  decision would be much appreciated

thanks in advance .. cheers !! :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 10:11:54 am »
AWD isn't necessary, but winter tires are, so the recommendation is to get a set of 2nd wheels & tires for the winter. Consider a used RAV4, or CRV from a private seller & it might come with winter wheels & tires. So consider a used CUV.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 03:44:22 pm »
on other hand considering i'm a new driver to Canada is it advisable to get  a used car around 10-15k  and use it for 1-2 years just to get my insurance / driving exp to a decent position and then go for a new car ?   

I think that might be the plan.  Don't spend $25K on a used RAV or CRV @ 7% financing and 13% HST because they are overpriced at that price point and will  have 80K km on them with zero money spent on maintenance.

Go for a higher mileage RAV with AC ideally off a private seller like Gurgie says.  Older RAVs have the longest legs of any CUV.  Plus they sell fast regardless of mileage.  Consequently, after a few years you will be able to unload it fast and for a reasonable recovery on capital spent.

Offline coverspark

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: none
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 06:06:15 pm »
Im talking abt a new rav4 in 25-30k :)