Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DoubleCab V6  (Read 25544 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DoubleCab V6
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 11:36:54 am »
Bony-backside backcountry enthusiasts find the seats very good.  I've only been on one trip in a Taco and found it fine.

Toyota prices it high as they sell them.  Good business.

Resale is insane.  I thought it was a bunch of dreamers, but evidently not.

I agree Johnny, sat in one at the Autoshow, to see if there were any changes.  And seats still felt fine to me.  I find it interesting the cars you own (or owned) are cars that I have been interested in, except the Forester, and prefer the 2000 and newer Miata.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:29 am »
My dad is on his third Taco, he loves these little trucks. He's a contractor. I told him that maybe a Tundra would've been better for him since he doesn't offroad and he doesn't want to own a manual -- he drives my 3 every once in awhile when he feels like having fun.

What the Tacoma has going for it:

-Can be had with a six speed manual
-More offroad capable
-More fun to drive.
-They reduced the price to $28k for a double cab 6 speed manual

What it has against it:
-Small cab, yes even with the double.
-Small bed, but it's never stopped my dad. My dad carried a 13' long stainless steel kitchen hood in the Tacoma once, I was there to help him load it on. That was fun... He has a rail along the top btw so whatever long stuff he has resting on it doesn't damage the roof. It's very well worn, banged up and everything, but the truck body itself is fine. Too bad you can't get a 6 foot bed with the manual double cab...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:58 am »
The 4Runner/Tacoma has always been a race car on a truck frame.

That said though, my body doesn't like any modern Toyota seat. I loved my dad's old 99 Tacoma, dang that thing was fun to drive.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
Too bad you can't get a 6 foot bed with the manual double cab...

Guy at work said the same thing the other day. He has a four cylinder AccessCab 4x4 right now and wants a bigger cab for his kids but doesn't want the short bed.

Offline neilvan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 4 Wheels
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:29 pm »
So did you photograph a different model than what you drove?

(You have pictured a Tacoma TRD Sport, not a TRD Off-Road)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:05 pm »
Once again we get the N/A version of what Toyota has to offer.

Here it is the Toyota Hilux pickup with a strong proven diesel engine with excellent fuel economy.

The burning question once again is why can't we get this ?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/hilux/2012/diesel%20l4

10.4Avg L/100km

Let the plebs chime in.....

Ive said this for years, the Hilux should be their truck over here. After sitting in one in Jamaica, its a nice little truck. The problem with all these "compact" trucks is pricing and fuel mileage. I have a very hard time believing someone would spend more on a truck that can do less while getting worse mileage than your average 1/2 ton truck. The back seat of the extended cabs are for cargo only and the crew cabs rear seats are still cramped for 2, let alone 3 people.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »
$37gs is a lot of money, what kind of money is Toyota leaving on the hood?
18l/ 100km  :(, I have avg 16l/ 100km with using the remote start most mornings in my truck

One thing I have never like was the low sitting position  :hurl:

Headrest making it hard to see out the back  :rofl2: :rofl2:, that is why you have side mirrors
Maybe time for a driving lesson

I agree. I like the Tacoma but it has always struck me as a truck for teenagers.

When I was 18, my Dad bought a new '87 XTraCab SR-5 4x4 (that's a Toyota truck with two buckets and a package shelf behind them for the yougnsters). It had the solid 2.4 litre four and a 5-speed stick. Fun truck for a teen, indeed, and pretty good on gas. I kept the "butt down / legs out" driving position in the used '86 Celica I bought two years later.  Back end was so light it would do easy burnouts in 1st.

The Tacoma and Frontier have grown so much that the four-bangers are only offered in 2wd strippers.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:44 pm »

When did I say my dad had a TRD Off Road? I didn't mention TRD anything. I just said that the Tacoma is more off road capable, forgot to add compared to a full size truck.

Guy at work said the same thing the other day. He has a four cylinder AccessCab 4x4 right now and wants a bigger cab for his kids but doesn't want the short bed.

You used to be able to get a Frontier double cab with the long bed, I don't know if you still can or not.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:43:23 pm by DKaz »

Offline neilvan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 4 Wheels
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:37 pm »

When did I say my dad had a TRD Off Road? I didn't mention TRD anything. I just said that the Tacoma is more off road capable, forgot to add compared to a full size truck.

Uhh...did I quote you in that question? (no, I didn't).

It was directed at the author of the review, sorry for your confusion.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 01:55:10 pm »
Whoops, put two and two together. lol. My apologies.

PS. Seems like you can ONLY get the 6 foot bed with a Nissan Frontier double cab manual transmission. Good for those who need to carry stuff, not so good for those who like to offroad. The shorter wheelbase is better for offroading.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 02:06:33 pm »
Then there is the price....as in way over priced. The Tacoma and Frontier have always been overpriced and there has been many a rant/post about why. Nissan is at least cutting a minimum of $4000k off the Frontier, still not enough IMO, but its a start.

No question Taco prices in Canada are rude and choice is limited.  But this is the way Toyota Canada manages this model.  If there was any competition you'd see a different price structure.   The Frontier is a competitor to the Taco in name only.  There is always 4K ready to come off a Frontier. :P   Like the Titan, not even worth stocking.  A small pickup like Ford's Ranger would be smashing hit.  I don't understand it.  Nissan is all set up in Mexico for a unit like this.  Nissan, half there, half not.  Troubling. 

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:03 pm »

No, that is the model I drove. And you're right, it had the optional TRD Sport package, not the TRD Offroad package.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:50 pm »
Then there is the price....as in way over priced. The Tacoma and Frontier have always been overpriced and there has been many a rant/post about why. Nissan is at least cutting a minimum of $4000k off the Frontier, still not enough IMO, but its a start.

No question Taco prices in Canada are rude and choice is limited.  But this is the way Toyota Canada manages this model.  If there was any competition you'd see a different price structure.   The Frontier is a competitor to the Taco in name only.  There is always 4K ready to come off a Frontier. :P   Like the Titan, not even worth stocking.  A small pickup like Ford's Ranger would be smashing hit.  I don't understand it.  Nissan is all set up in Mexico for a unit like this.  Nissan, half there, half not.  Troubling.

Ford has a double cab Ranger available for the rest of the world, I think that would work here. The older Ranger was so outdated that Im not surprised that they let it die. Before its death though, there were several dealers in town letting 4x4 extended cabs go for around the $22k mark.....I think thats where these trucks need to be in order for them to catch on properly.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:47 pm »
Ford has a double cab Ranger available for the rest of the world, I think that would work here. The older Ranger was so outdated that Im not surprised that they let it die. Before its death though, there were several dealers in town letting 4x4 extended cabs go for around the $22k mark.....I think thats where these trucks need to be in order for them to catch on properly.

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty much impossible to profitably sell a modern compact truck at that price point.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
Compared to a full size truck the Tacoma costs more, tows less, hauls less, offers less passenger comfort (what with those go-kart like seats and all) and burns more fuel (or at least no less).  Given its proven reliability, you can regret not having bought a full size for a long time to come. 

I am not all hung up on the "bigger is necessarily better" philosophy, but the Tacoma offers but few comparative advantages.

How does the Tacoma cost more compared to full size trucks?  Are you talking used?  The Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab V6 starts at $30,000, the Ford F-150 CrewCab 4x4 starts at $40,000.  And according to many websites, the Tacoma  burns at least 15% less (not stellar, but still a fact)than any V8, and probably about 10% less than the real world fuel economy of the ecoboost.  And its supposed to tow less.  Unless your over 6' and 250lbs, the seats are just as comfortable as any other light duty truck.  I find sitting in a full size truck I can't see around as well, sitting too high, and loading is a pain in the butt.

I do wish the Tacoma diesel was offered here, but given Toyota is stuck on this hybrid mission, a diesel in the showroom would never work here.

MSRP means nothing in the full size segment.  Ford, GM and Dodge heavily discount.  Further, the dealers (at least in the GTA) are incentivized to slash even more off the already incentivized price. 

Also, I am not sure from where you are drawing you data re the Ecoboost.  I own one and easily achieve better fuel economy than what people are reporting here with the Tacoma.

Re comfort, I am over 6' and nowhere near 250 lbs (160 actually due to excessive running).  Even I find the Tacoma seating position tedious b/c the seats are too close to the floor.

None of which is meant to say that there is nothing going for the Tacoma.  I just think it is fairly described as having a niche appeal.

MSRP means nothing in the fullsize?  So I guess the fullsize trucks aren't the only ones that are overpriced?  People are saying the midsizes are too expensive, because the fullsize segment takes $5000-$8000 off the MSRP.  Yet Toyota doesn't have to take much off to sell the Tacoma.  That's business, and probably why they have no reason to change it. 

Regarding comfort, your over 6', what do you expect, how comfortable are you in a Focus.  Same scenario.  Just like the rear cab is going to be tighter than a full size.  Still hell of a lot better than the Ranger, and the Colorado.  Not the Dakota, it was a bigger truck. 

As for fuel economy, the EPA shows the Tacoma as more fuel effficient than the Ecoboost.  And it has comments from owners just like you.  And you can't get the CrewCab in Ecoboost. 

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=32124&id=31853

I wonder if I will get more smites than when I comment on large suv's, and back up cameras.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 03:16:29 pm »

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty much impossible to profitably sell a modern compact truck at that price point.

Yeah a full loaded compact would be more expensive....If small trucks had more features, like the backup camera people like, heated seats, the little luxuries, with the price the same, then it would be more of a value.  Full size trucks can offer huge incentives, because they sell hundreds of thousands of them.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 03:22:13 pm »

Depends on what your definition of a "modern" truck is?   

2WD with some type of traction control, 4 cyl, cab and a half, made in Mexico.  I don't see the problem for 22K. 

The standard of living is slipping and it's going to accelerate rapidly.  Many ppl are quite happy to adjust.  They want something simple, fuel efficient relatively speaking, and they want something new.  No different than the Versa and Sentra buyers.  It's just that they want some utility and some just like the concept and always have.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »
Compared to a full size truck the Tacoma costs more, tows less, hauls less, offers less passenger comfort (what with those go-kart like seats and all) and burns more fuel (or at least no less).  Given its proven reliability, you can regret not having bought a full size for a long time to come. 

I am not all hung up on the "bigger is necessarily better" philosophy, but the Tacoma offers but few comparative advantages.

How does the Tacoma cost more compared to full size trucks?  Are you talking used?  The Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab V6 starts at $30,000, the Ford F-150 CrewCab 4x4 starts at $40,000.  And according to many websites, the Tacoma  burns at least 15% less (not stellar, but still a fact)than any V8, and probably about 10% less than the real world fuel economy of the ecoboost.  And its supposed to tow less.  Unless your over 6' and 250lbs, the seats are just as comfortable as any other light duty truck.  I find sitting in a full size truck I can't see around as well, sitting too high, and loading is a pain in the butt.

I do wish the Tacoma diesel was offered here, but given Toyota is stuck on this hybrid mission, a diesel in the showroom would never work here.

MSRP means nothing in the full size segment.  Ford, GM and Dodge heavily discount.  Further, the dealers (at least in the GTA) are incentivized to slash even more off the already incentivized price. 

Also, I am not sure from where you are drawing you data re the Ecoboost.  I own one and easily achieve better fuel economy than what people are reporting here with the Tacoma.

Re comfort, I am over 6' and nowhere near 250 lbs (160 actually due to excessive running).  Even I find the Tacoma seating position tedious b/c the seats are too close to the floor.

None of which is meant to say that there is nothing going for the Tacoma.  I just think it is fairly described as having a niche appeal.

MSRP means nothing in the fullsize?  So I guess the fullsize trucks aren't the only ones that are overpriced?  People are saying the midsizes are too expensive, because the fullsize segment takes $5000-$8000 off the MSRP.  Yet Toyota doesn't have to take much off to sell the Tacoma.  That's business, and probably why they have no reason to change it. 

Regarding comfort, your over 6', what do you expect, how comfortable are you in a Focus.  Same scenario.  Just like the rear cab is going to be tighter than a full size.  Still hell of a lot better than the Ranger, and the Colorado.  Not the Dakota, it was a bigger truck. 

As for fuel economy, the EPA shows the Tacoma as more fuel effficient than the Ecoboost.  And it has comments from owners just like you.  And you can't get the CrewCab in Ecoboost. 

I wonder if I will get more smites than when I comment on large suv's, and back up cameras.....
I am always amazed , that people who never drive trucks always know the most about them  ???

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:08 pm »

I am always amazed , that people who never drive trucks always know the most about them  ???

:rofl:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 03:51:31 pm »

Depends on what your definition of a "modern" truck is?   

2WD with some type of traction control, 4 cyl, cab and a half, made in Mexico.  I don't see the problem for 22K. 

The standard of living is slipping and it's going to accelerate rapidly.  Many ppl are quite happy to adjust.  They want something simple, fuel efficient relatively speaking, and they want something new.  No different than the Versa and Sentra buyers.  It's just that they want some utility and some just like the concept and always have.

If you could include 4x4 into that price, I think that will sell wonderfully. The problem is a full load crew Taco is $40K, a GMC Canyon or whatever is over $40K with the crew cab and the V8 (only way to get the crew), for that kind of pricing, who would take all the disadvantages of a small truck. I honestly think there has either got to be a huge price difference or a major gain in fuel mileage for these mini trucks to become real players on the truck market.