Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac XTS Premium Collection  (Read 10219 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac XTS Premium Collection
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 11:58:31 am »
The XTS is closer to the RLX rather than the TL.  (as per the motortrend comparison)  And since when did more sales illustrate more value?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:11 pm »
Comparing the XTS with cars closer in size and price is more relevent.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:24 pm »
Thanks for the table, always have problems copying that table to autos.ca, it doesn't let you save it on their website...So how do you post it?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 12:14:16 pm »
Thanks for the table, always have problems copying that table to autos.ca, it doesn't let you save it on their website...So how do you post it?

Windows Snipping tool.  :)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 12:27:02 pm »
Agree with what you say except this wouldn't be a good fit for the older folk. All these gizmos and high resolution HUD screens would put too much strain on the eyes. Older folk aren't iGM generation and won't use them nearly as much.
Curious how little was said about the actual driving experience  :)

Those were my thoughts too, except I don't think eye strain will be the problem but rather just the confusion by not having m/any physical buttons or knobs. I think some in the pre Baby Boom generation might eventually figure it out but how that doesn't help in the initial look on the showroom floor or a test drive.

Any posters in auto-sales able to post up their thoughts on such gizmodos and how an "older" generation would take to them?

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »
Cadillac went off it's own game plan with the XTS. The future they're trying to define with some success is not consistent with the XTS – It's not the flagship they needed. Rup's favourable comments on the car support my thesis.  ;)

This is a stop-gap until the new large RWD car is ready. They did better than I had expected with it really.

Fair point, I think I've read a published GM statement saying the same thing (stop gap comments). When the new new CTS drops it will eclipse the XTS...I plan to go drive one because I'm intrigued by the car. Meanwhile I'm irritated by the XTS.

The ATS and upcoming CTS combined make for a very compelling future Cadillac the my opinion of my wallet.

While the XTS is a stop gap the new CTS is going to be a 5-series competitor and the XTS will still be bigger.  The XTS replacement is still a couple years out and will likely reside on the Omega platfrom

For what the XTS is GM did a good job of taking a mid level platform and loading with as much luxuary and technological goodies as possible for the Cadillac name.  And this car is beautiful in person.  I think it will serve GM well for the next few years and find a good market.

Northernridge

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »
The car is not beautiful and beauty is not in the eye of the beholder either. Beauty is universal and so is ugly. There is only the spectrum of people's ability to see it.   :o

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 12:54:00 pm »

That 4,012 figure for the MKZ is surprising...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »
This Cadillac doesn't need to be compared with any BMW and MB (RWD), AUDI (AWD). It's a car close to FWD like ES, Newer Buicks, non-RL Acuras and Volvos...Being price competitive makes it good to stay against newcomers like Hyundai  Azera...Cadillac definitely needs to change the standard for itself - the world is away ahead! Otherwise soon it going to be without sales...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 03:12:10 pm »

That 4,012 figure for the MKZ is surprising...

The launch of the MKZ was a mess.
The Superbowl ad generated interest but the dealers had next to none in stock. Cars from Mexico underwent secondary inspection in Michigan before being shipped out to the dealers.

They do have that sorted now and they are showing up in decent numbers finally.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »
 There are only 2 aspects of this car that I can fairly judge...One..It's freakin gorgeous...Two..the reviewer says it's scrumptious to drive and very reasonably priced..I couldn't care less if it's front, rear or AWD...It drives well..That's all...I love it..Thanks   Jack

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 06:25:03 pm »
   Well, using my name to denigrate a very elegant creation is smoothe indeed. But done ever so nicely that even I can say bravo. I appreciate talent. It's all wrong of course and I...woefully inadequate as I am on the transportation front (according to some)...can heel and toe with the best. My generation idolised the best in racing when cars and engines needed the best drivers to win in racing.
   So all being equal...which it is not...because the world of finance is recovering from ruins and my returns from a lifetime of work are approaching zilch; I would say that my appreciation of a fine piece of work...is more a stamp of approval than the sour remarks of someone who can not see the same object of discussion, because of too dark sunglasses, would deny the viability of. But I can see the direction.
   Firstly the people...the 'know nothing old folk' referred to, may not be that at all and if they ever existed they may be non-drivers at this point. So now the older generation with money to purchase will be equal in proportion of knowledgeable folk as any other group...more or less. Well able to appreciate blue noses or  USBs whatever. Because I don't care for that stuff does not mean that I don't know anything about it. Sorry..I got carried away and was begining to think I qualified for a moment.
   If this is a stop gap measure for this company; then maybe any competition should be concerned. I am not, as I said in my prior post, going to argue racing or cornering ability compared to others. This vehicle won over the tester and I suspect that in those atributes it is more than capable and it is very elegant. Maybe 'using the Darwinian theory' it has evolved to where it should be at, to cover the ground it has to. The others are on steroids.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:31:24 pm by Rupert »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 08:17:19 pm »
I am having a really hard time seeing a 'good value' here...this car should cost at least 10k less than what GM is asking...well good thing is that in a couple years you will be able to grab one of these for 25-30k....:-)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
I am having a really hard time seeing a 'good value' here...this car should cost at least 10k less than what GM is asking...well good thing is that in a couple years you will be able to grab one of these for 25-30k....:-)

Your way off, a 2011 CTS with the 3.6L (2 years, with 40km) starts at 30k, so this trim in the tester, probably closer to 40k

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »
Are these Canadian numbers or? If not you could as well publish European or Chinese numbers as well.
Bombastic

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 09:56:28 pm »
The car is not beautiful and beauty is not in the eye of the beholder either. Beauty is universal and so is ugly. There is only the spectrum of people's ability to see it.   :o
At list this car looks better than RL for sure. As for the other competitors, yes, you are right. Is no better.

Northernridge

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 10:06:51 pm »
The profile is the worst. Not a disaster but regressive for the new Cadillac. I stand by good value though...60k is MSRP fully equipped, with discounts it will probably be less than 55k and for the content it competes well with the Avalons, ES350s, etc. of the world.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 08:03:04 am »
   I am not a GM fan...even before the bail out...but credit where it is due. I suspect that Caddy 'would be owners' today are a different bunch from yesteryear. The profile does it for me...over and above the competition...whatever they are. (getting harder to judge size these days) Then again I am only an admirer. Still I suppose it does no harm to like it.
   I would have thought that the paddle shifters would be the least used of the atributes here...or in any automatic car. You put it in drive and 'go'. When you get there you 'stop' and put it in park and get out. I have had two vehicles with 'Autostick' which I suppose operates the same way as paddles. The first was used once out of curiosity and never again in 10 years and the second...wonders... I found usefull to overide the automatic when towing in hilly terain. Have not used it in two years now. My wife has never used this feature. Then again she does not use cruise either.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:07:06 am by Rupert »