Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan  (Read 9370 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 08:35:05 pm »

I'm not sure if the shipping was discounted because of what it would be used for, of if the $200 was closer to the actual cost of a manufacturer to move a car around the country.

It costs $1000 to ship a single car on an enclosed trailer in the US.  Now imagine a truck with the typical 6-8 other cars on it.  $200 probably isn't too far off...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »
FiL walked away from a Tiguan solely based on the combined freight and "mandatory" fees which he claimed combined was over $2,000, I forget the exact figure he was quoted but for some reason $2,400 comes to mind. He actually cross-shopped with a QX50 b/c he has an Altima he is trading in and found that the QX50 base with premium was close enough in price to the Tiguan he was looking at.
Shouldn't your friend check with the other dealers? The "mandatory" fees are not mandatory at all. I consider the freight to be outrageous for RAV4 since it is build in Ontario. Tiguan is build in Germany.

Agreed but is Buffalo N.Y. closer to Germany ? Just a thought since if you buy a Tiguan there you pay $865 for frieght.
Yes, that is quite frustrating. Regardless if we like it or not the US is a different country with a much bigger car market. So the car makers are trying to be competitive there much more than in Canada. Hence we are getting the short end of the stick.
Bombastic

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 10:28:14 pm »

I want to add that beside regular service, you going to need to add about 10 liter of synthetic oil between oil change.  That is from my experience with 2.0T passat for 1.5 years.  (It burns/loss about 1L/1000km and VW said this is normal)

Beside this, no power tailgate offered in the topline trims...

That is not true. From my 4 years Tiguan owning experience I never had to top the oil.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 07:46:57 am »

I want to add that beside regular service, you going to need to add about 10 liter of synthetic oil between oil change.  That is from my experience with 2.0T passat for 1.5 years.  (It burns/loss about 1L/1000km and VW said this is normal)

That is not true. From my 4 years Tiguan owning experience I never had to top the oil.
In modern gas engines with German tolerances, which traditionally are the tightest in the industry plus highest engine  manufacturing technologies, claiming one liter per one thousand kilometers is irresponsible action. This should be addressed, but not multiplied in the public media. I'm not fan of the "German engineering" but crating wrong image of the product is absolutely not fair!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 08:31:58 am »

In modern gas engines with German tolerances, which traditionally are the tightest in the industry plus highest engine  manufacturing technologies, claiming one liter per one thousand kilometers is irresponsible action. This should be addressed, but not multiplied in the public media. I'm not fan of the "German engineering" but crating wrong image of the product is absolutely not fair!
The user manual for my B-class says that one could expect oil consumption  up to 1 litre per 1000 kms.   So far exactly none.  I believe that is a recent design of engine and I expect it not to burn any between changes ( which are at about 15,000 kms or yearly)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 04:07:53 pm »
Currently a recall on VWs including the Tiguan
http://www.autonews.com/article/20131114/COPY01/311149956/volkswagen-recalls-1-68-million-vehicles-on-engine-light-faults#axzz2kd1f4U6X

One of them is in regards to the DSG is interesting though.
Owners are asked to not use synthetic oil and replaced with normal Dino oil.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:14:09 pm by Black Hatch »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30:29 pm »
Thinking back to the last crop of German engines we owned, and none of them used a drop of oil in all the time we had them, and several of them had pretty high odo readings.  The cars might have had other issues, but engine wear wasn't one of them.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 01:29:07 pm »
but in the EX37 we drove last year the interior was another level of premium, nicer than most of the luxury SUVs we tested, never mind the Tiguan - just felt very rich, but I think it was into the 50s with leather and nav, etc.

He got the premium package, no navi. He paid $36.5k before taxes, cash deal.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:32:04 pm by nlm »

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 02:02:21 pm »
but in the EX37 we drove last year the interior was another level of premium, nicer than most of the luxury SUVs we tested, never mind the Tiguan - just felt very rich, but I think it was into the 50s with leather and nav, etc.

He got the premium package, no navi. He paid $36.5k before taxes, cash deal.

sounds like a wicked deal - if one doesn't need the back seat but loves the convenience of the hatch, the EX is great. It was our favourite to drive in our lux crossover test - that V6 was sweet, but a bit of a pig on gas.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman