Author Topic: 10 years there will be probably no production in Canada  (Read 11322 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: 10 years there will be probably no production in Canada
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2014, 11:47:14 am »
It's such a sh*t show.

^^^
THIS
and it's why we can't (hopefully don't) have an early election.   Ontario has enough debt, the cost of an election just isn't worth it.

The Liberals have a plan to spend us out this economic mess, while the Conservatives want to cut taxes and Government services.   Something has to be done to try and re-start the economy in Ontario, it's clear the private sector isn't doing anything.  Now the Government needs to set up and try to create jobs.

Both plans are questionable.   Infrastructure spending certainly will create jobs but will it pay itself in the long run?   Meanwhile the Feds have tried lowering corporate taxes and stats show that really hasn't had the job creation impact as they hoped, and now that's Hudak's solution.   Cutting spending may reduce the Government's cost but that certainly doesn't help the job situation.

At this point both plans have risks and the extra cost of an election is the last thing we really need.

Canada's in a dark place....lack of coordination doesn't help either. Maybe a good crisis will let us Federalize everything.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline caretaker007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2014, 01:41:12 pm »
Maybe if BIG BUSINESS  got off their balloning bank accounts and started creating real jobs (not Part Time sh*t) the country MIGHT start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. :( :(

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »
Maybe if BIG BUSINESS  got off their balloning bank accounts and started creating real jobs (not Part Time sh*t) the country MIGHT start seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. :( :(

Why don't you start a business and create some jobs?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2014, 08:46:50 pm »

What, is their money actually your money or something? What have I missed? ???

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2014, 08:53:25 pm »

Money is a product of the Crown.

If corporations sit on it, the Crown has the prerogative to enact retained earnings taxes or high capital gains taxes to get it flowing again.

Or they could just nationalize them outright. ;D 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:51 pm »

If corporations sit on it, the Crown has the prerogative to enact retained earnings taxes or high capital gains taxes to get it flowing again.

Confiscation has happened a few times before :D

EDIT: actually now having given it more than 5 seconds of thought, in the extreme lets say the government enacted a law that would apply a 95% tax on any retained money at the end of some period. Result? Need to spend cash as quick as humanly possible. Result? Mass inflation and currency devaluation. People turn to gold or salt or whatever cannot be (so easily) confiscated. Inflation / money printing / confiscation / devaluation are all various shades of the same die. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:06:55 pm by mmret »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 10 years there will be probably no production in Canada
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »

Confiscation has happened a few times before :D

EDIT: actually now having given it more than 5 seconds of thought, in the extreme lets say the government enacted a law that would apply a 95% tax on any retained money at the end of some period. Result? Need to spend cash as quick as humanly possible. Result? Mass inflation and currency devaluation. People turn to gold or salt or whatever cannot be (so easily) confiscated. Inflation / money printing / confiscation / devaluation are all various shades of the same die. :)

Oooh, the communism boogeyman!

Of course most social democratic states have crown corporations of one kind or another. My electricity and natural gas are provided by two, for example.

Gradual implementation of targeted taxes has no effect on inflation.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »

Great way to get get companies to move to other countries.... And take their jobs with them. 

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2014, 09:54:15 pm »
Oooh, the communism boogeyman!

Oh come on, relax! I'm kidding with you :P Your comment was so ludicrous I had to assume you were not serious so I replied in kind. What are these things for anyways ??? :) :D ;D ;) :P

Gradual implementation of targeted taxes has no effect on inflation.

Unlikely. I could explain why but don't care enough and also too busy counting my money and running down cyclists. :)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2014, 10:22:23 pm »

Great way to get get companies to move to other countries.... And take their jobs with them.

They're doing that anyway as far as manufacturing and other industries. Pretty tough to more resource industries.

We should have our own Statoil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statoil
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:23:55 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2014, 12:34:20 am »
I laugh when oil companies scream about leaving Alberta.  For where?  If there was lots of oil somewhere else, they'd be gone in a second.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2014, 10:22:33 am »

We should. But only if governance is good:
1. we're not selling subsidized oil to Canadians, the NOC is there to maximize long run profits
2. the earnings from this business are to be used to diversify Canadian industry for the eventual day when the oil is either no longer there or (more likely) not so much in demand any more, again for long run economic benefit
3. the earnings cannot be siphoned off by idiot politicians for any pet project / electorate pandering they deem suitable at the moment
4. hire and incentivize skilled, professional management to carry out the above, and then hands off from the state.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2014, 12:29:50 pm »

We should. But only if governance is good:
1. we're not selling subsidized oil to Canadians, the NOC is there to maximize long run profits
2. the earnings from this business are to be used to diversify Canadian industry for the eventual day when the oil is either no longer there or (more likely) not so much in demand any more, again for long run economic benefit
3. the earnings cannot be siphoned off by idiot politicians for any pet project / electorate pandering they deem suitable at the moment
4. hire and incentivize skilled, professional management to carry out the above, and then hands off from the state.

Works for me. :thumbup:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2014, 01:04:28 pm »
No it wouldn't. You wouldn't be able to take the money for blanket social welfare and you'd have to pay high wages to management and senior technical staff without taxing it at 90% above 500k.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »
No it wouldn't. You wouldn't be able to take the money for blanket social welfare and you'd have to pay high wages to management and senior technical staff without taxing it at 90% above 500k.

Crowns pay dividends to the government, that's always been the case.

The top marginal rate should be reinstated at the same level and rate it used to be, roughly $3M and 80%. This is nothing new or unusual, and was SOP prior to Reagan.

Executive pay is hugely over-inflated. There is always someone else willing to do it cheaper, and only so many executive positions to fill.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 02:48:10 pm »

what do you consider blanket social welfare?
some call our free health care system free social welfare.   
what do you think Government Corporations like the LCBO and the OLG are for?
They do just about exactly that.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »

what do you consider blanket social welfare?
some call our free health care system free social welfare.   
what do you think Government Corporations like the LCBO and the OLG are for?
They do just about exactly that.

That's the issue. I'd only support a Canadian Statoil if the funds were specifically tagged to developing and investing in industries which will diversify Canada's economic base in the long run.

The economy today basically runs on natural resources (at least the export part). So we would be converting that into something broader and more long-lasting.

Or we I guess we could spend the money on buying everyone a new Ferrari.

My issue isn't with social welfare as much as it is with ensuring that the money from this would be used wisely. I'm not saying that income taxes shouldn't go towards social welfare.

LCBO and OLG are interesting cases but not necessarily that relevant as they both operate in "social vices" space. Admittedly you can say money is fungible and there's no need for mental accounting but, for the same reason that people have budgets that define the split and sources of money, so should governments (because governments, like people, are prone to short term wants over long term wants, election pandering, waste, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:44:59 pm by mmret »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2014, 11:35:23 pm »
Other countries should be held to the same labour, safety, and environmental standards that Canadian companies comply to before any products are imported.

I've been saying this for years...and if the company can't provide enough proof that all those standards are being followed, said company will be charge a 60% import fee! LOL