Author Topic: Montreal Auto Show 2018  (Read 2520 times)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Montreal Auto Show 2018
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:38:34 am »
I'll be heading down to the show most likely on the 20th.  It will be a "father son" thing, followed by dinner elsewhere.  However, if any forum members were looking to get together, at least for a short while, let me know.  Perhaps we can arrange something.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Montreal Auto Show 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:26 pm »
Anybody going?

(tap, tap, tap)   Is this mic working?   ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 05:28:00 pm »
Was there on Sunday.  A buddy and I decided to head down for a little day trip.  Was nice, but the show is really chopped up, and the super high-end /exotic cars were in some pretty cramped rooms.

The Volvo XC40 had its Canadian premier there.  Spend a good 15-20 minutes going over it.  Nice interior, though a few of the materials on the lower parts you rarely touch felt cheaper than those used in similar areas on my C30...  Hope they bring the cars planned to be based on this platform (S/V40) to Canada.  Volvo Canada rep. was unsure.  Told him if they didn't bring in a small car line, the C30 would be my last Volvo.  Then I went to Audi and admired the A3 e-tron...

Also explored the Stinger.  The fake vents do look really cheap IRL.  Plus some of the interior materials, again in places you rarely touch, feel kinda cheap - but certainly not early 80s K-Car styrene cheap.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:30:24 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:31:03 am »
Was there on Sunday.  A buddy and I decided to head down for a little day trip.  Was nice, but the show is really chopped up, and the super high-end /exotic cars were in some pretty cramped rooms.

The Volvo XC40 had its Canadian premier there.  Spend a good 15-20 minutes going over it.  Nice interior, though a few of the materials on the lower parts you rarely touch felt cheaper than those used in similar areas on my C30...  Hope they bring the cars planned to be based on this platform (S/V40) to Canada.  Volvo Canada rep. was unsure.  Told him if they didn't bring in a small car line, the C30 would be my last Volvo.  Then I went to Audi and admired the A3 e-tron...

Also explored the Stinger.  The fake vents do look really cheap IRL.  Plus some of the interior materials, again in places you rarely touch, feel kinda cheap - but certainly not early 80s K-Car styrene cheap.

Both my son and I came to the same conclusion.

Agree on the layout but they don't really have much choice given the venue.  Somebody is going to lose out on space somewhere.

We went on the Saturday and had a good time.  As I was in comparison shopping mode, we spent a good deal of time looking at the various compact CUV/SUV all wheel drive models.  After that it was about fun and ogling the luxurious, the wild and the just plain whacky.

We both liked the Genesis flagship G90.  My son noted correctly that it is a car designed to be driven in (think CEO or other VIP) rather than drive.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:33:29 pm »
I was at the Montreal show on the first day. I can't help thinking that KIA is attracting Pontiac's old customers (...and let's add more fake vents to grap these Grand Prix trade-ins...)

Got a nice free telescoping snow brush at Volvo  :)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist