Author Topic: Unsupported USB in CX-5  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Unsupported USB in CX-5
« on: June 26, 2023, 04:36:44 pm »
Ahhhh Frack  >:(

I had all my music on a USB for use in my new 2023 Mazda CX-5. Worked great. So I then decided to buy a micro USB for car use so it is small and I can just leave it there and not worry about it getting knocked or broken. Found one on Amazon for a great price

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07855LJ99?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Bought it, go it & loaded music on it. All good. Stuck it in the car and got "Unsupported USB". Frack!!!!

I found this in an online manual.

This unit does not support a USB 3.0 device. In addition, other devices may not be supported depending on the model or OS version.
USB devices formatted to FAT32 are supported (USB devices formatted to other formats such as NTFS are not supported).

I think I am screwed by old tech in the CX-5. So because I bought a USB 3.1 I guess I am screwed. I do not even know what the hell these numbers mean. I thought a USB was a USB. I thought a higher number just meant you could load stuff on it faster. Is there any fix to this? Or do I have to buy another USB. What am I supposed to buy? I supposed to search for a USB 2.0???? In a quick search on Amazon it seems that most are 3.0.

Please help educate an old fart.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 04:44:26 pm by Slow_lane »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Unsupported USB in CX-5
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 04:57:04 pm »
I would suggest re-formatting it to Fat32, reloading music, and trying again.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-usb-flash-drive-to-fat32.html

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 06:36:04 pm »

Did it. Had no idea what I was doing. But that is typical for me. Anyways took quite a while to re-format but finally finish. I loaded music from 3 cds on it and tried it in the CX-5. IT WORK!!!!!  :D

Now loading my whole collection onto USB. Copying much much slower but that does not matter as long as it works.

Thank you .. Thank you. This is a frigging great forum!!! A great resource full of helpful people. There are some cranky ones too but you learn to live with that.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 06:46:37 pm »

Did it. Had no idea what I was doing. But that is typical for me. Anyways took quite a while to re-format but finally finish. I loaded music from 3 cds on it and tried it in the CX-5. IT WORK!!!!!  :D

Now loading my whole collection onto USB. Copying much much slower but that does not matter as long as it works.

Thank you .. Thank you. This is a frigging great forum!!! A great resource full of helpful people. There are some cranky ones too but you learn to live with that.

I format in NTFS if I'm going to put huge video files on it, otherwise FAT32 has a 4Gb size limit.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 08:53:46 pm »

I format in NTFS if I'm going to put huge video files on it, otherwise FAT32 has a 4Gb size limit.

Normally, yes.  Although his complaint is that the CX-5's older system can only read FAT32, hence the need to format as such.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 10:50:44 pm »
Loading the music on to the USB after reformatting to Fat32 took a very long time. A few hours vs a few minutes before re-formatting. Anyways all the music seems to be loaded up correctly. Tomorrow in goes back into the CX-5 for a test run. I am optimistic it will work.

UPDATE: Tried in Mazda this morning. All working. I am fully operational now!!!

Thanks again
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 08:41:29 am by Slow_lane »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 07:43:34 am »
I had these issues in GM vehicles last couple of years - only 4 specific albums on my "test drive" USB stick would work - I never solved that one. Tried multiple formats on multiple drives, always the same 4 albums  ???

But as @Slow_lane discovered, vehicles evolve and so did I. Having two new cars in the driveway and a fresh 3rd one every other week, I updated my "test drive" thumb drive because many vehicles, including my own CX-90, only have USB-C nowadays. But, many still have the old USB-A fitting. So I got this:

Not as small as the mega-mini sticks, but pretty small and very flexible. Works in everyting so far. Including a GM  ;D

Edit: bought two on amazon, on sale for $15 - one for the Mrs that stays in the Mazda's center armrest cubby, and a loaded one for me full of stuff she can't tolerate  :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 07:46:23 am by Blueprint »
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 07:51:50 am »
Man, it sure seems like a hassle when you can download songs from the apps onto your phone and just connect though AA or ACP. 

The Golf has a slot for an SD card and I've never used it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 07:58:16 am »
Man, it sure seems like a hassle when you can download songs from the apps onto your phone and just connect though AA or ACP. 

Yeah, you USB people are living in the past. :P

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 08:07:41 am »
Couldn't imagine going back to a thumb drive and slowly copying music over when AA/ACP works so well.

Curious how long it takes you to find a specific artist or album you want to listen to.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 08:15:06 am »
I tried the phone. Over Bluetooth, the battery goes down fast and the sound is crappy. And I don't get how you phone people cope with the wires and such for every little errand, especially with some USB sockets being down there in the Mariana trench - because you still need the USB cable in most cars. And these cables are fragile as :censor:, while the thumb drives are sturdy and nearly invisible - you can leave them in the car and not tempt a break-in.

Easy access to music folders through the infotainment screen, same as phone, really. SD card in VW/Audi was the best idea ever - I used the same card in the Golf and A3.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 08:20:57 am »

Yeah, you USB people are living in the past. :P
Ha, i'm just over here listening to the local radio station, don't mind this old man.