Author Topic: What cars do you realistically plan to own?  (Read 318559 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
Re: What cars do you realistically plan to own?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:13 am »
Vantage - 6 speed - Meteorite Grey

I don't exactly need a daily driver, so when I do, I could see myself in a black S4.

When I finally decide to tie the knot, I could see getting the wife a Range Rover Autobiography. Or even a lightly pre-owned Sport Autobiography. The supercharged V8 is an absolute must, and the thing must be black.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:27:55 am »
My NB Miata is now 15 years old, so realistically my next purchase will be something to replace it.  Not that I'm in a hurry to get rid of the Miata, as it still runs well and is lots of fun.

I'd like to think I'll eventually replace it with another fun car.  Something small, nimble, responsive, sharp handling and reasonably good on fuel (4 or 6 cyl.).

I suppose I could replace it with a newer Miata/MX-5.  The new Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ looks interesting, too.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:36 am »
IS-F or Mustang GT.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 10:05:02 am »
I'd kind of like to own a disco era Corvette at some point. A first generation Miata. Maybe another British car. Generally I don't end up buying what I planned so hard to know.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
Porsche Boxster/Cayman.
And one day, an M5. Likely a used one... ;)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 10:17:12 am »
I'm going to take the "realistically" part of the "plan to own" seriously here...

Immediate future: every-day family hauler.  Current most likely candidates are 2014 Forester or 2013 Mazda5 (or maybe 2014 or next-gen Mazda5, if still available).  Outside shot: 2014 Kia Rondo (may just be flavour of the week in my mind!)

3-5 years: replace the F150, probably with another used F150! (likely with the 5.0L)

Some sort of sports/sporty car: WHenever the Elantra Touring dies out (hopefully long time from now), replace it with a less practical vehicle (as it won't be the primary family hauler).  My most likely candidate would be a used Miata.  But if I still really need the extra space I would look at the Focus ST (or some other hot hatch), new or used.  A longer shot - but still well within the realm of possibility - would be a used C6 Vette (base).  Even longer shot would be an NSX (97+ with the 6MT), but my wife's always had a soft spot for Hondas...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 10:20:22 am »
Well I'm on the edge of getting a second car to add to our 07 Sentra even now. We can live with one car but the fact that its an 07 Sentra makes me sad.

Realistically in the next few months I will likely buy either a 2012 or newer Ford Focus with a 5 speed stick, a 2010 Mazda 3 with a 6 speed or a slight chance of a 2012 Civic SI. If the right 08 TSX came along I might be tempted.

Longer term I can see wanting a Focus St, maybe another 4 door GTI with a stick or maybe even a newer WRX.

Whatever I get is going to have a stick before they disappear from production altogether.

I have a long list of cars I'd love to own and drive daily like an Audi RS4 but realistically that's not going to happen.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 11:24:50 am »
I really don't like the looks of any cars currently sold in Canada (within my price-range), with the exception of the models listed above...

If you don't like the looks of most modern cars, how did you end up in an Aerio?  Not exactly a looker if you know what I mean.   Unique and functuional yes...but not much on looks.

The Aerio was a purchase based on most car for the money (my budget) at the time - no, it's not pretty...  Then again, I think the Juke is kinda cool, but not sure if I'd buy one - my Dad had a disastrous 1983 Sentra, so Nissan is in my family's black books...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 11:37:42 am »
BRZ, Boxster/Cayman, Corvette

Northernridge

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 11:55:24 am »
If the business tanked I'd be perfectly happy driving an Accord on a daily basis.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »
I'm planning to keep the current car for now, as it does everything I need from a car and what I'd really want is out of my comfort zone. That said, If I had to replace it today, I'd most likely get a 5 series sedan (either E60 or F10), as I'd like to have four doors. I could entertain the idea of compromising the door count and go for a 335i (E92) as it comes with a genuinely useable backseat, which is a must. For a more economical choice I may choose a Golf TDI/GTD or a GTI.

Not many realistic choices there that I'd be interested to own. Especially when I6 engines and manual transmissions are becoming harder to come by.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 02:12:21 pm »
If the business tanked I'd be perfectly happy driving an Accord on a daily basis.

The new Accord is a VERY nice car!

I know a retired CEO/Entrepreneur that is still driving his 1992 Accord.  That was the "fanciest" car he ever owned, and one of the few he bought new, so he's determined to get his money out of it.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 02:55:12 pm »
Me:
  • Motorbike x 2 - One for me, one for the wife.  Both getting our licences this Summer, will get one bike this year and another next year.
  • Jaguar - Either an XJR, XKR, or XJR, possibly a replacement for the 5 series when I decided to move on.  I just can't get enough of that engine.  I would have put C63 on the list but the Jag just tops it for me.
  • Ford F150 - At some point in my life I have to own a truck, the F150 is my favourite.
  • Ford Mustang / Chevy Camaro - Again, I have to do the redneck muscle car thing at some point.  This will replace the wife's car, she prefers the Camaro.  I'm intrigued to see what the 2014 models end up like.  Will likely buy one used if they are good.
  • Jeep - Even if I only own this for a year, gotta do it once.
  • Daytona Cobra (Factory Five) - Can't wait to build this, it will be a project for me in a few years time when the kids are a bit older.  Was planning on doing it next year but I have very little spare time at the moment.  Always wanted one of these, one of my favourite cars of all time.
  • Ferrari 348/355 - After selling the Cobra.  Obviously can't own everything at once, LOL!
  • Morgan 3-Wheeler - Again, another fun car, will have to see if they even come to Canada or I if can get one in.  A ridiculously fun car, and one you can drive at the limit without getting into too much trouble.  If not one of these then a Caterham 7.

Seen this? Factory Five Kit Cars vs a Lamborghini Gallardo!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 09:20:14 pm »
Hmm good question. I wouldn't say its a certainty but if I hit $5m at a reasonable age I'll get an SLS.

Other cars don't really care. I would just buy whatever car suited me and my needs at the time. I can forsee the following TYPES of cars

1. A wafter sedan (to replace the CLK when I need more doors), probably something Japanese for reliability. SUV is possible too.

2. A minivan, at some point, or similarly big cheap people mover.

Yeah, not much else in the plans. I already have the toy (Z4) and the bahn burner GT (CLK).

possibly a replacement for the 5 series when I decided to move on

When did you get the 535? ???

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 09:24:20 pm »

When he saw all the other managers/executives had one??   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:25:55 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Re: What cars do you realistically plan to own?
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:52 pm »

When he changed his name to Twin Turbo Bob of course :-) :-) .... I kid I kid

This ^^ LOL.  I really love the car I do, but I have an illness that makes me want to change cars once a week.  So the financially sensible thing to do would be to keep it, same as the GenCoupe when I had that (which also didn't go to plan).  But I suspect in 2 yrs I will be hankering after something else.  As it has already depreciated by half when I bought it a couple of months ago, so I'll figure out the man maths (i.e. it's still worth something) and away we go again!!
 :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:44 pm »

When he changed his name to Twin Turbo Bob of course :-) :-) .... I kid I kid

This ^^ LOL.  I really love the car I do, but I have an illness that makes me want to change cars once a week.  So the financially sensible thing to do would be to keep it, same as the GenCoupe when I had that (which also didn't go to plan).  But I suspect in 2 yrs I will be hankering after something else.  As it has already depreciated by half when I bought it a couple of months ago, so I'll figure out the man maths (i.e. it's still worth something) and away we go again!!
 :rofl2:

And there is nothing wrong with the math  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 09:55:59 pm »

but I have an illness that makes me want to change cars once a week. 

I am similarly afflicted....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 09:58:14 pm »
As long as I keep buying 3-4 year old cars I should be fine, they have already depreciated a good amount.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 10:04:25 pm »
As long as I keep buying 3-4 year old cars I should be fine, they have already depreciated a good amount.

I think it's cool.  I have 2 pretty nice cars in the garage (911 & GS) that cost me ~$15k combined.....