Author Topic: Motorcycle communication systems  (Read 4188 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Motorcycle communication systems
« on: November 24, 2020, 06:00:51 pm »
One of the PITA things about riding in a group, or even with passenger, is the lack of communication.  You can't point out scenery, give directions, chat, whatever, with helmets on while moving.

But now, there are pretty cool com systems, I'm leaning towards getting the Sena 50S,   https://revco.ca/sena-50s-bluetooth-headset/?sku=v-357000&gclid=CjwKCAiA-_L9BRBQEiwA-bm5fvEJPFYV0FVxet7sCGra61zcKhDcB8gLxchrfB0e3dj8V3gi4_D8jhoClvAQAvD_BwE
It has the latest MESH 2.0 tech along with all the other features found on the top line devices.    The Cardo Packtalk Slim was also on my short list, but most in my riding group seem to have Sena, so, go with the flow for better connectivity.

Anyone else have experience or questions with regard to communication systems?
Mr Pickypants

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Motorcycle communication systems
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 06:11:22 pm »
Great topic, I was thinking of starting to look and research this topic as well.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 06:15:18 pm »
One of the PITA things about riding in a group, or even with passenger, is the lack of communication.  You can't point out scenery, give directions, chat, whatever, with helmets on while moving.

But now, there are pretty cool com systems, I'm leaning towards getting the Sena 50S,   https://revco.ca/sena-50s-bluetooth-headset/?sku=v-357000&gclid=CjwKCAiA-_L9BRBQEiwA-bm5fvEJPFYV0FVxet7sCGra61zcKhDcB8gLxchrfB0e3dj8V3gi4_D8jhoClvAQAvD_BwE
It has the latest MESH 2.0 tech along with all the other features found on the top line devices.    The Cardo Packtalk Slim was also on my short list, but most in my riding group seem to have Sena, so, go with the flow for better connectivity.

I've used the Sena SMH5-FM (FM radio)

Any Sena will work IMO.  They're all pretty good.

I even used some cheap Amazon one...and that worked well too.

"Back in the day", I used the Chatterbox "Communicator" on bikes and sleds.  For the sled, it had a trail groomer beacon warning, which was nice.

Have been using these for a long, long time....tech is so good now, pretty much anything will work.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 06:39:40 pm »
I have a Sena S3 that works well. A lower end basic unit but connects just fine with others. The buttons are just simplified. I could be tempted to sell it if interested as not when I will get back on a bike.

https://www.sena.com/product/3s

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 09:35:05 am »
My g/f and I have the latest Cardo PackTalk Bold units with the JBL speakers.  She doesn't usually like talking to me anyway, so she can't figure out why she should use the damned comm system.  Still, it does the job, and has all the same mesh connectivity and in groups, enables each person to serve as a bit of an antenna, bouncing signal from front to rear riders, and as "friends" of the network come into range, they're automatically connected, etc. etc. as the Sena units, but honestly, I am pretty underwhelmed by it.  The sound quality, when listening to music is mediocre, and at highway speeds, if my g/f is riding more than a few car lengths away, it becomes difficult to hear one another.  Between the pair of them, there's quite a few bucks invested and it absolutely does not seem worth it to me.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 11:27:09 am »
My g/f and I have the latest Cardo PackTalk Bold units with the JBL speakers.  She doesn't usually like talking to me anyway, so she can't figure out why she should use the damned comm system.  Still, it does the job, and has all the same mesh connectivity and in groups, enables each person to serve as a bit of an antenna, bouncing signal from front to rear riders, and as "friends" of the network come into range, they're automatically connected, etc. etc. as the Sena units, but honestly, I am pretty underwhelmed by it.  The sound quality, when listening to music is mediocre, and at highway speeds, if my g/f is riding more than a few car lengths away, it becomes difficult to hear one another.  Between the pair of them, there's quite a few bucks invested and it absolutely does not seem worth it to me.

As in the Cardo isn't worth it, or comms systems overall?

From the reviews I had read recently, Cardo seems to be beating Sena hands down.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:30:15 am »

As in the Cardo isn't worth it, or comms systems overall?

From the reviews I had read recently, Cardo seems to be beating Sena hands down.

I've not tried the other units, but there's no way in hell this Cardo unit seems worth the cost to me.  If there's one that's half the price but works 70% as well, that'd be the one I'd have.  That said, if ever we all get to go on longer, group rides again, the whole rest of your gang is rockin' Cardo, so we'd all be able to connect.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 01:17:16 pm »
Has anyone tried units from Lexin? Reviews on Amazon seem pretty decent and the price is a fair bit cheaper than Cardo or Sena. Not really interested in listening to music/GPS, primary use would be for communication with my wife while snowmobiling.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 01:05:07 pm »
I like my Sena 30K.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 09:07:02 pm »
https://revco.ca/sena-50s-bluetooth-headset/

Anyone deal with Revco.ca?

Now that I've finally decided to get a set, they're hard to find, Revco is the only one I found that says they're in stock so far

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 01:00:11 pm »
That's a good price, just a tiny bit more than what I paid for my 30K. My 30K's jogdial failed after three years though, or at least I only noticed after I wrote this post:

I like my Sena 30K.

I can use the app to turn up and down the volume, use Siri to skip tracks, and use autoscan to change FM stations, but it's a bit of a pain. People were noting the 30K was not waterproof and although I did use my unit just fine in the rain, I wonder if it eventually degraded the mechanism for the jogdial.

Sena's claim to fame was their indestructible and simple to use SMH5 and SMH10 which could not be destroyed. Until it unlatched itself from my helmet at about 6 years old. But the thing spent its entire life in Vancouver where they get rain.

Ultimately, people get whatever their riding buddies use. You could pair a Sena with a Cardo but it's a bit of an involved process. For mostly city rides where cellular connectivity is not an issue, people started creating Discords to talk in so it's less of an issue. If you're mostly riding alone or two up, yea just get the same thing.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 02:04:24 pm »
I have a sena SRL that plugs into my helmet, it works alright, a bit infuriating to learn the interface and to get the helmet and phone to pair, but the sound quality is pretty good.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 02:14:11 pm »
I can't stand com devices as I ride a motorcycle to unplug from the world. Even GPS devices are a sometimes necessary evil and I try to minimize it's use. I do understand coms are a required piece of kit for those who are trying to ride in a group but they do diminish the "experience", especially if some are "talkers"  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 04:19:39 pm »
I can't stand com devices as I ride a motorcycle to unplug from the world. Even GPS devices are a sometimes necessary evil and I try to minimize it's use. I do understand coms are a required piece of kit for those who are trying to ride in a group but they do diminish the "experience", especially if some are "talkers"  ;D .
It depends.

We used to use them to warn the group of hazards, mostly.

And off road, with many trails, the lead rider would call out which trail fork he's going.

Also came in handy for riders saying to hold up, they fell down, mechanical, etc

We didn't really use it for chatty Kathy purposes. Just the basics.

The units we used also picked up trail groomer beacons in the winter so you knew if there was a huge trail groomer around the corner.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 04:24:55 pm »
That's a good price, just a tiny bit more than what I paid for my 30K. My 30K's jogdial failed after three years though, or at least I only noticed after I wrote this post:

I like my Sena 30K.

I can use the app to turn up and down the volume, use Siri to skip tracks, and use autoscan to change FM stations, but it's a bit of a pain. People were noting the 30K was not waterproof and although I did use my unit just fine in the rain, I wonder if it eventually degraded the mechanism for the jogdial.

Sena's claim to fame was their indestructible and simple to use SMH5 and SMH10 which could not be destroyed. Until it unlatched itself from my helmet at about 6 years old. But the thing spent its entire life in Vancouver where they get rain.

Ultimately, people get whatever their riding buddies use. You could pair a Sena with a Cardo but it's a bit of an involved process. For mostly city rides where cellular connectivity is not an issue, people started creating Discords to talk in so it's less of an issue. If you're mostly riding alone or two up, yea just get the same thing.

Sorry what?!? You can talk in a Discord whilst riding? How does that work?

Boy I feel old.  :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 04:37:45 pm »
Sorry what?!? You can talk in a Discord whilst riding? How does that work?

Boy I feel old.  :rofl2:

Lol I've never used Discord before so I wouldn't know. My kids use it. Probably the same way except everyone is riding.

I can't stand com devices as I ride a motorcycle to unplug from the world. Even GPS devices are a sometimes necessary evil and I try to minimize it's use. I do understand coms are a required piece of kit for those who are trying to ride in a group but they do diminish the "experience", especially if some are "talkers"  ;D

I got a raise while I was on my motorcycle on my way in to the office so there's that.  ;D A few times the kids needed something.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 03:18:19 pm »
Has anyone tried units from Lexin? Reviews on Amazon seem pretty decent and the price is a fair bit cheaper than Cardo or Sena. Not really interested in listening to music/GPS, primary use would be for communication with my wife while snowmobiling.

Finally tried these out over the break and they work pretty well for keeping in touch while riding. Range is not great in the bush trails but they easily lasted the 2+ hours in frigid temperatures. These are the ones I bought: https://www.amazon.ca/LEXIN-Motorcycle-Communication-Cancellation-Technology/dp/B07DGX2DTK

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 12:51:12 pm »

You probably got yours and are likely happy with it, but for anyone else, if you want my opinion, they are useless above 80 kph because with the volume at maximum, you can hardly hear anything. I have the Sena 10R.

The set I have is installed as per the real simple instructions and the speakers are in the approved speaker pockets of the helmet.

Its a nice $300+ accessory that I no longer use. The only way I'd buy another communicator is to borrow a demo unit from a shop and try it out before spending $$$.

And some of us do not use it to communicate to other riders; I ride alone. Some of us use it via BT to listen to music, the built-in radio, GPS instructions, mobile phone, etc.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 11:02:30 am by No H2O »
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 02:23:21 pm »
I use a thumb (either up or down)  or a finger depending on the circumstances. Cost is $0.   ;D

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 11:22:40 pm »
I like my Sena 30K.

One local guy also recommends Sena. My friend is looking for a set for our next ride. A couple of us are newbies so good communication is a must.  There will be a few off-road going to the camping site. I'll be taking the truck to carry our stuff, got to finish installing the new pads and toyo tires this week.