Author Topic: Some People ...  (Read 450482 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Some People ...
« Reply #840 on: March 23, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
IQ used to say the same thing.  So I bought her one of these. 

No more excuses.

I was considering that. But meh, where I'm moving, I'm going to do a tank a week, and it is being replaced this summer with something with a 13L tank and up to 370 km range anyway.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #841 on: March 23, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
When the dealer ads say:

"No matter your credit history"
"Pay off your trade"
"Get up to $12,000 cash back"
"We'll lend you money even if your momma won't!"

Can you truly blame them?

blame them for what exactly? most of these people did the same thing with the same ads the year before... and the year before... so what makes them think this years ad that says the same thing is somehow more magical than last years?

people have lost the ability to read between the lines...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #842 on: March 23, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »
this one isn't too bad that i am currently working with... but it is the usual type of thing i have to deal with. great people... like them a lot, so i want to make something work... but just reality makes it pretty tough.

but, they bought a new ram about a year ago (feb),.... but also, she just hit 60000km.....

That would ring up quite the fuel bill.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #843 on: March 23, 2017, 01:49:04 pm »
at least it's almost all highway! the hemi when cruising the way she does is not too shabby... she tells me her readout is at 11.4l/100km. from the test drives i've taken with her, i believe it. not too quick on the pedal. and she hauls some kind of table around with her, so a truck is needed.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #844 on: March 23, 2017, 01:50:26 pm »
When the dealer ads say:

"Pay off your trade"

blame them for what exactly? most of these people did the same thing with the same ads the year before... and the year before... so what makes them think this years ad that says the same thing is somehow more magical than last years?

people have lost the ability to read between the lines...

Or they can stop running the ads.

I mean people should be responsible for their own finances but people need to stop giving them hope.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #845 on: March 23, 2017, 02:42:45 pm »
this one isn't too bad that i am currently working with... but it is the usual type of thing i have to deal with. great people... like them a lot, so i want to make something work... but just reality makes it pretty tough.

but, they bought a new ram about a year ago (feb), loaded up (listed out at around 67k iirc) and they got a great deal. came in yesterday wondering about swapping up a year... figured it might cost them 7-8k... first off, no, just not quite the way it will work. new trucks generally go up in price and that first year is a tough one on depreciation. but also, she just hit 60000km. that truck dropped a heck of a lot more than 7-8k after that kind of use, even if we weren't doing a wholesale/retail comparison.

not the kind of thing that i'm sure many people think of, but it's just not how it works... if instead they did a one year lease on a truck like that, allowing 4500km/month, the payment would be astronomical. closest i can work with my program is a 24 month and just 2500km/month and it would be over 1200... one year, and nearly double the kms would be over 2k a month likely... so that truck should have dropped in value from what they paid by at least 20000.

anyway... who knows, they may still do something, but it is just tough having to go over the realities of depreciation and financial math with middle aged folk who aren't dumb by any means.

I don't know what constitutes as 'dumb' if that doesn't...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #846 on: March 23, 2017, 03:04:53 pm »

but, they bought a new ram about a year ago (feb), loaded up (listed out at around 67k iirc) and they got a great deal. came in yesterday wondering about swapping up a year... figured it might cost them 7-8k... first off, no, just not quite the way it will work. new trucks generally go up in price and that first year is a tough one on depreciation. but also, she just hit 60000km. that truck dropped a heck of a lot more than 7-8k after that kind of use, even if we weren't doing a wholesale/retail comparison.

not the kind of thing that i'm sure many people think of, but it's just not how it works... if instead they did a one year lease on a truck like that, allowing 4500km/month, the payment would be astronomical. closest i can work with my program is a 24 month and just 2500km/month and it would be over 1200... one year, and nearly double the kms would be over 2k a month likely... so that truck should have dropped in value from what they paid by at least 20000.

anyway... who knows, they may still do something, but it is just tough having to go over the realities of depreciation and financial math with middle aged folk who aren't dumb by any means.

I don't know what constitutes as 'dumb' if that doesn't...

yeah...  why do they want new truck anyway if they picked up new one just LAST YEAR? and 60 k km in one year?.... she needs a prius v or something...  how big of a table is she hauling around here?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 23, 2017, 05:09:04 pm »
they live on a farm... so the truck is handy (and goes with the image)... the table and all the other stuff is because they do some physio and massage stuff, so a couple tables and gear in the back so they can have all their stuff with them all the time. they are also "bigger" themselves, so the truck is what fits them comfortably...

and dkaz people need to be responsible for themselves.. not saying that they are all to blame and good on the marketers or anything, but in this life, there will ALWAYS be someone not looking out for your best interests... whether they are trying to part you from your money in perfectly legit, upfront ways or not. the marketers use what works... unfortunately, with a large portion of the buying public being easily convinced to spend money (that they usually don't even have), all they have to do is use certain word tracks or buzzwords.

while i don't like it, they aren't lying. they can do every single thing that they advertise... loan money to crap credit? yep, just high rates or cash down... pay off your trade? yep, and put the negative equity into a new loan... get up to ___ cash back? yep, as long as it is an after tax rebate or equity in a trade...

again... i don't like it, but unless they are lying, it's fair game.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #848 on: March 23, 2017, 05:31:06 pm »
When the dealer ads say:

"Pay off your trade"

That sounds like the ad for a Chrysler dealership in the Vancouver/lower mainland area.
Their latest ad says, "***** dealership, where friends are more important than money". :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #849 on: March 24, 2017, 10:56:21 am »
Because people think "I use a tank a week" or some other measure.  Then if the car they're considering costs $80 to fill, well, then it's $80/week.  Blame the math teachers.  I had to cram calculus down their throats but wasn't allowed to spend time on everyday math.

It's not even the math teachers to blame, these people haven't advanced to simple math yet.

They'd be happier if you told them it was only $30 to fill the tank, they wouldn't buy the car if it cost $80 to fill.   The concept of fuel range and consumption rates is beyond them.
Mr Pickypants

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #850 on: March 24, 2017, 11:51:20 am »
The GTI has a 50 L tank which is a bit on the small side IMO. Even the Mini's tank is a bit bigger.

You know VW is not a trustworthy company.  ;D

In two or three occasions I put 52-54 L in mine, unless Shell gas stations have cheating pumps.

However routinely I put max 50L even if the pump does not click.

What does your gas gauge say before you put in 50 L? I think the most I've put in is 46 L, and the gauge is sitting at the bottom of the red and the remaining range has been 0 for a while.

Needle on E (very bottom) and range 0 or max 5 km. The trick I do is to fill up the last 20L very slowly.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #851 on: March 24, 2017, 02:01:54 pm »
I once looked at a 70s Capri that the owner claimed ran like a top and I would be able to drive home. The starter and transmission were sitting in the passenger seat when I got there.  :rofl2:

maybe "ran like a top" meant it spinned down the road.........
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #852 on: March 24, 2017, 04:10:31 pm »
I once looked at a 70s Capri that the owner claimed ran like a top and I would be able to drive home. The starter and transmission were sitting in the passenger seat when I got there.  :rofl2:

maybe "ran like a top" meant it spinned down the road.........

"Like a top" to me always sounded like "runs for a minute or two and then flops onto it's side and remains motionless."  Perhaps this saying came about to describe the Chevy Vega?  Because that's pretty much what it did.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 25, 2017, 07:59:13 am »
Because people think "I use a tank a week" or some other measure.  Then if the car they're considering costs $80 to fill, well, then it's $80/week.  Blame the math teachers.  I had to cram calculus down their throats but wasn't allowed to spend time on everyday math.
This isn't math.

This is basic common logic.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 25, 2017, 10:00:34 am »
agreed that it can hardly even be considered math... sure it involves some numbers, but how they work is more a logic issue.

so i'm working on one now... think the customer is upset with me. have a pacifica hybrid on "hold" for him. our first one. in build status. the guy is.... interesting. the usual first mover on something like this. wants to talk about things more than just buy something. wants my opinion on everything... wants to explain everything that he knows to me...

and this is the kind of case where "the customer is always right" comes in... i'm not going to debate with him or explain where he is overlooking certain things, i'll just sell him the car he wants.

but at this point, he comes in or talks to me a couple times a week and takes me off the floor, costing me money. this has been over two months. and all this time, i have his signature on something, but nothing super official, and no money from him. gave me a cheque, but with nothing on it. after a month, he stopped in to proudly say we should make it official and put something on that cheque... super! how much? "i'm thinking 100... actually.. you know what, you might have to hold off on that until i check the account".

he is buying it "cash", so i don't even have a finance approval or anything.. all i can go off is his word and any money down... i told him this and he still just doesn't get it. this is going to be a 57 grand cheque, yet he can't give me a hundred bucks.

i hate to turn away business, but at this point, i don't think it's worth me making a couple hundred bucks and the dealer making 600 to deal with him.... and that is only IF he actually buys the thing.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #855 on: March 25, 2017, 10:11:22 am »
agreed that it can hardly even be considered math... sure it involves some numbers, but how they work is more a logic issue.

so i'm working on one now... think the customer is upset with me. have a pacifica hybrid on "hold" for him. our first one. in build status. the guy is.... interesting. the usual first mover on something like this. wants to talk about things more than just buy something. wants my opinion on everything... wants to explain everything that he knows to me...

and this is the kind of case where "the customer is always right" comes in... i'm not going to debate with him or explain where he is overlooking certain things, i'll just sell him the car he wants.

but at this point, he comes in or talks to me a couple times a week and takes me off the floor, costing me money. this has been over two months. and all this time, i have his signature on something, but nothing super official, and no money from him. gave me a cheque, but with nothing on it. after a month, he stopped in to proudly say we should make it official and put something on that cheque... super! how much? "i'm thinking 100... actually.. you know what, you might have to hold off on that until i check the account".

he is buying it "cash", so i don't even have a finance approval or anything.. all i can go off is his word and any money down... i told him this and he still just doesn't get it. this is going to be a 57 grand cheque, yet he can't give me a hundred bucks.

i hate to turn away business, but at this point, i don't think it's worth me making a couple hundred bucks and the dealer making 600 to deal with him.... and that is only IF he actually buys the thing.

That guy isn't buying anything. Just some a dreamer with nothing to do....

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #856 on: March 25, 2017, 10:25:42 am »

That guy isn't buying anything. Just some a dreamer with nothing to do....

Yup. Sounds like he's wasting your time. I buy cash but I buy when I'm ready to buy and not waste the salesman's time with pipedreams.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #857 on: March 25, 2017, 10:46:14 am »
so i'm working on one now...

Good luck with that one Mike. When I did a factory order for the GoRf there was a fully-refundable $500 deposit which to me makes sense. You have a great deal of patience for dealing with him, random walk-ins etc. Couldn't email updates suffice as the build moves along ?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 25, 2017, 12:23:00 pm »
he came in on my day off yesterday and wanted to sit down with the general manager... he basically kicked him out since we were swamped and run a bit of a skeleton crew on fridays....

people look at it as, i'm a customer, i should be treated with the utmost respect... see if i spend my 60k here!!

we want to help... we really do. but we want to actually respect *your* time... so do our job to the best of our ability... you show up while we're busy, talk to multiple employees from the store, never make appointments, don't follow our processes.... you're gonna have a bad time. in the end, we'll look at it and say, you aren't worth the money... and keep in mind... not the 60k, it's the grand or so that we might make on a car... that is what we'll see.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 25, 2017, 01:19:54 pm »
gave me a cheque, but with nothing on it. after a month, he stopped in to proudly say we should make it official and put something on that cheque... super! how much? "i'm thinking 100... actually.. you know what, you might have to hold off on that until i check the account".

That's not a customer. That's a mental case.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis