Author Topic: Lexus 'chrome' issues  (Read 4780 times)

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Lexus 'chrome' issues
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:38:55 am »
We were car shopping today, and just about pulled the trigger on a beautiful low mileage 2015 RX350.

That is, until we saw all the plastichrome looked like this:

What the hell is it? Sure did not want to come off.

This same trim (around the grill, rear hatch, under the doors) on all the other used RX's in the lot, including those much older. The solid metal chrome of the lettering and badge was fine.

The only thing we could think of was that it had spent it's first few months in BC, could it be effects of salt spray?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Lexus 'chrome' issues
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:40:31 am »
Very good reason to plastidip all the chrome black!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 01:58:00 am »
Depending on how cheap you get it for, if you really love it get new pieces.....I don't imagine they'd be too pricey.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:36:01 am »
Is that on the front grill ?
Would that be covered under factory warranty ?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:00:13 am »
We were car shopping today, and just about pulled the trigger on a beautiful low mileage 2015 RX350.

This same trim (around the grill, rear hatch, under the doors) on all the other used RX's in the lot, including those much older. The solid metal chrome of the lettering and badge was fine.

The only thing we could think of was that it had spent it's first few months in BC, could it be effects of salt spray?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/688810-spots-on-chrome-trim.html
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 08:06:29 am »
Hey!

Why not put that in as a condition of purchase? That they polish out that crap?

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
It didn't look like something that would polish out, like it had etched itself into the plastchrome. The real metal pieces (like the lettering) were fine. Looked at alternatives like getting it replaced under warranty (rejected), replacing (too expensive), or switching with an older car on the lot (too much shop time).

Sucks as would have bought it on the spot otherwise.

Did some research and it looks like magnesium chloride damage from road de-icer:

I live in Denver and frequently drive to the mountains for skiing. Colorado and Denver both use Mag-Chloride to keep the roads from icing. Modern cars are using chromed plastic parts rather than chrome metal parts. These new parts are susceptible to staining by the Mag-Chloride. This staining apparently goes sub surface and seems to be permanent. I have tried just about everything to remove the stains on my Lexus RX to no avail. One source suggested giving the parts a good coating with wax and always wiping the car down after driving on roads with Mag-Chloride

I have now tried all of the above mentioned methods. These might work on fresh stains, but they did not work on the older stains. They did remove some of the color of the stains. They appear to have some yellow or gold tones to them. but the shape of the stain remains. I believe that this is an etched mark on the chrome surface, or the underlying plastic and once etched, cannot be removed.

I spoke with my sales person at Lexus and she said that she has a product that will also remove fresh stains, but not the etching. She will be getting me the name and I will try it as well.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-chromed-bits-on-my-s-have-the-measles.16510/page-2

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:25:23 am »
It didn't look like something that would polish out, like it had etched itself into the plastchrome. The real metal pieces (like the lettering) were fine. Looked at alternatives like getting it replaced under warranty (rejected), replacing (too expensive), or switching with an older car on the lot (too much shop time).

Did some research and it looks like magnesium chloride damage from road de-icer:

I live in Denver and frequently drive to the mountains for skiing. Colorado and Denver both use Mag-Chloride to keep the roads from icing. Modern cars are using chromed plastic parts rather than chrome metal parts. These new parts are susceptible to staining by the Mag-Chloride. This staining apparently goes sub surface and seems to be permanent. I have tried just about everything to remove the stains on my Lexus RX to no avail. One source suggested giving the parts a good coating with wax and always wiping the car down after driving on roads with Mag-Chloride

I have now tried all of the above mentioned methods. These might work on fresh stains, but they did not work on the older stains. They did remove some of the color of the stains. They appear to have some yellow or gold tones to them. but the shape of the stain remains. I believe that this is an etched mark on the chrome surface, or the underlying plastic and once etched, cannot be removed.

I spoke with my sales person at Lexus and she said that she has a product that will also remove fresh stains, but not the etching. She will be getting me the name and I will try it as well.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-chromed-bits-on-my-s-have-the-measles.16510/page-2
Have not noticed that on our 2013 Rx , will take a look today

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:26:11 am »
That liquid road de-icer stuff is nasty, ruins everything.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 10:26:28 am »

Could you replace the items on your own as you find them?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 10:36:22 am »
DAmmit, i hate you for bringing this up.  now i have to go look at mine....

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 11:04:13 am »
All the others in the lot were fine! Looks like Mag chloride is mostly a Colorado thing, maybe the original owner took it on a ski trip.

Edmonton is just starting to use a bunch of pre-emptive deicer in the winter, but it is mostly calcium chloride, apparently not as bad:

According to a city memo, the mix ratio Kortech created has:

26 to 28 per cent calcium chloride
.25 to 1 per cent magnesium hydroxide
-5 to 8 per cent magnesium chloride/sodium chloride and potassium chloride
-64 to 66 per cent water

The problem with this car is all the plastichrome was bad, every single piece. And it's not cheap or (or apparently that easy to change). The price was not that good to make up for it.

So close

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 02:01:56 pm »
Yeah, my dad's 2006 RX has none of that...but I don't think Ontario uses Mg-Cl (I could be wrong...who knows).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 02:25:08 pm »
No problems with our RX or truck
I think the Brine in Southern Ontario is created in a 23% concentration of rock salt to water.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 04:41:41 pm »

Do you a link to the RX

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 06:23:30 pm »
Very strange that they all would have this.  The plastic chrome on my GS350 is fine but there's not much on there anyway.  Only issue i see now is the spotting on the paint from rail dust but that's normal for this time of year. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:26:44 pm by KD »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 07:43:54 pm »
The plastichrome looks similar on certain parts of our MDX, and previously on the CRV. A rag and a little elbow grease and it comes off, in our situation anyway. But ya, doesn’t appear on all plastichrome parts.

Come to think of it, I think it only occurs on the hatch pieces.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.