Author Topic: 2019 Ford Ranger  (Read 15182 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: 2019 Ford Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 04:30:06 pm »
Great looking truck, had no idea the Ranger was returning.  It's been out of Ford's lineup for a number of years now, hasn't it?

Yeah, 2011 was the last model year for the Ranger in the U.S./Canada.

Ford is also developing a new Bronco based on the Ranger, it should debut in a year or so. I'm really looking forward to seeing that.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 04:33:51 pm »
Great looking truck, had no idea the Ranger was returning.  It's been out of Ford's lineup for a number of years now, hasn't it?

Ford is also developing a new Bronco based on the Ranger, it should debut in a year or so. I'm really looking forward to seeing that.

Here it is, put the Ranger front in it and you have the Bronco...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 04:40:30 pm »

That thing is going to be so expensive, and will be 4 door only. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 05:07:28 pm »

you bet...it should slot between the Expedition and the Explorer, so perhaps $40k to start? they could even go higher, given the Expedition is now $60k to start...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 05:34:04 pm »

you bet...it should slot between the Expedition and the Explorer, so perhaps $40k to start? they could even go higher, given the Expedition is now $60k to start...

After the first 3 years, I hope its sell numbers end up like the Hummer H3 or the Toyota FJ Cruiser. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:13 pm »

After the first 3 years, I hope its sell numbers end up like the Hummer H3 or the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Why?  ???

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 05:58:40 pm »

Why?  ???

Don't like the segment.  Over priced, only useful for off roading, but 90% off people don't use it for that...

Just like I couldn't stand a 2 door Chevy Blazer.  How is a 2 door practical?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 08:11:20 pm »
It is a truck not a race car.   240-250 bhp with the low down torque of a turbo ( multiplied by the transmission torque converter ) should be plenty. In fact I wonder if the truck version will have less bhp but have the big torque number starting at 1600-1800 rpm.  And I bet Ford North America knows full well that the 10 people who would buy the manual can be ignored. (Same as the people who want a diesel in brown)

Hmmm ur wrong, in this competitive market power is extremely important. If it doesn’t perform close to the competition, buyers will either walk away or just get into a F150 with the 2.7TT.

I can see some people doing that...nothing I can say will stop the fascination for buying vehicles by the pound in North America.   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:09 pm »
Meh, too big. Might as well get the full size. I liked the size of the previous Ranger but put in a more fuel efficient engine.
I guess I'm in the minority . That is a Ranger in name only.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 09:32:42 pm »
Meh, too big. Might as well get the full size. I liked the size of the previous Ranger but put in a more fuel efficient engine.

Somewhat agree, but they are trying to match the competition in size.  It will start at a higher price, and won't be as fuel efficient as the mid size trucks with the smaller engines..

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 09:41:57 am »
The Tacoma, Canyon, and Ranger is not competing with the Tundra, Silverado, and F150. It's for people who want something more offroad capable with a shorter wheel base they can go mudding in, or they live in the city but love to head out to the country over the weekend, or people who just don't want to deal with a gigantic truck. My dad is a contractor with a Tacoma and when I asked him why he didn't just go with a Tundra especially since I personally helped him load a 13 foot long kitchen hood onto it once, he preferred the Tacoma's more manageable size. It's his third Tacoma.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 09:45:37 am »
The Tacoma, Canyon, and Ranger is not competing with the Tundra, Silverado, and F150. It's for people who want something more offroad capable with a shorter wheel base they can go mudding in, or they live in the city but love to head out to the country over the weekend, or people who just don't want to deal with a gigantic truck. My dad is a contractor with a Tacoma and when I asked him why he didn't just go with a Tundra especially since I personally helped him load a 13 foot long kitchen hood onto it once, he preferred the Tacoma's more manageable size. It's his third Tacoma.

I know that Ranger's competitors.  When I say trying to match the competition, those are the ones I am referring too.  The previous gen Ranger was a lot smaller, was not called a midsize truck.  Some are saying these midsize trucks are too close in size to the fullsize in dimension and price, that the benefits are minimal. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 01:50:53 pm »

I know that Ranger's competitors.  When I say trying to match the competition, those are the ones I am referring too.  The previous gen Ranger was a lot smaller, was not called a midsize truck.  Some are saying these midsize trucks are too close in size to the fullsize in dimension and price, that the benefits are minimal.

Same can be said for mid-size sedans and full-size sedans.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 02:40:50 pm »
My comment was mostly in response to whoever said "may as well get an F150".

I guess the only problem with midsize trucks is that even a double cab has a pretty tight interior if you want to carry four or five passengers. Probably the best truck for someone who doesn't need a truck is the Ridgeline which is small like a midsize truck yet has the interior room of a full size crew cab.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 03:14:12 pm »

Somewhat agree, but they are trying to match the competition in size.  It will start at a higher price, and won't be as fuel efficient as the mid size trucks with the smaller engines..

That's where Ford could differentiate themselves.  Give us something that is truly more compact.  Something like my old '94
As it is, my hypothetical pickup buying $$ is a Silverado

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »
^^ yep...it’s one size fits all! I was hoping for the 2.7...I’m not sure that 2.3 will be able to give me the performance I want.

That's coming in a Raptor version...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 03:31:21 pm »
Isn't that the same 2.3 that's going boom in the Focus RS??

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, and several other Fords, see post #5

Yup but the RS is the only where the problem happens - the engine is probably working at capacity in the RS application. Yet another reason to put a 2.7TT or the 3.3 V6 in it...

They used the wrong head gasket (from the Mustang 2.3) in the Focus RS from what I read. The Focus RS gasket is unique to the Focus.

Online Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 04:16:30 pm »
I'll take a close look at these and the pricing when they come out, but I have a feeling it will be bigger than what I was hoping for as well.  I was in South Africa this summer and I saw piles of what looked like car based pick ups, but I never got a chance to see one stopped so I could see what they were.  Kind of like a modern version of a mini El Camino, they were kind of fun looking, but something between that and this new Ranger would be a perfect size.  Like they used to be, or the S/10

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 04:18:50 pm »

Chevrolet Montana?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 04:46:11 pm »
Yes, that's definitely what they looked like, I didn't think they had a chevy badge though, but I could be wrong.  They were everywhere (usually carrying about 10 people!), but I only saw them when we were on the move so couldn't get a good look