Author Topic: Does an accident go on your record if it was under someone else's insurance?  (Read 5154 times)

Offline marie93

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chevy Cavalier
In Dec. 2013 my boyfriend rear ended someone with my car, under my insurance. He did get a ticket at the scene but the cop never filed it so it didn't go on his record. I made a claim through my insurance but since I only had liability coverage I didn't get anything from them. He didn't have any insurance at the time of the accident, it all went through mine.

We haven't had a car since then, but now we can finally afford to get one (unless the insurance is insane). My question is, if I shop around for a good quote I have to tell them there's a 100% at-fault accident on my record (I also have a speeding ticket on there for a few more months). But if my boyfriend shops around, will there be anything on his record since the ticket didn't go through? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Others are more knowledgeable than I am but I believe his record is technically clean as you mention.

However I assume you both live in the same house - so you will both have to be named on the policy, and the at-fault will show up regardless.

There is never any escape :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Tell us what province you are in, insurance differs from province to province.

Why did you put in a claim if you didn't have collision coverage?
Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Others are more knowledgeable than I am but I believe his record is technically clean as you mention.

However I assume you both live in the same house - so you will both have to be named on the policy, and the at-fault will show up regardless.

That's pretty much it.  The only exception would be if you had at the time the "accident forgiveness"  endorsement.  ::) 

Just so you know, even thought the "government" only keeps you in the penalty box for 2 years after a "ticket", they allow the companies to hold that "ticket" against you for 3 years.  :P

Offline marie93

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Tell us what province you are in, insurance differs from province to province.

Why did you put in a claim if you didn't have collision coverage?

Sorry, I'm in southwestern Ontario. I was very overwhelmed, I was pretty young and upset about my car. The cops and the towing company both told me I had to make a claim before I could get my car (or even the things in my car). That ended up costing me an extra $150 in fees since it was a Friday and insurance didn't call me back until Monday. I very much regret it, but nothing I can do now.

Offline marie93

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

That's pretty much it.  The only exception would be if you had at the time the "accident forgiveness"  endorsement.  ::) 

Just so you know, even thought the "government" only keeps you in the penalty box for 2 years after a "ticket", they allow the companies to hold that "ticket" against you for 3 years.  :P

My insurance was kind enough to let me know it would stick for 3 years, only 6 more months! And we don't technically live together. We're getting the car on the road together but it's going to be in his name with him doing most if not all of the driving (I live an hour away, but spend a lot of time at his place since I have to get rides from whoever goes out that way)

Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate it.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki

My insurance was kind enough to let me know it would stick for 3 years, only 6 more months! And we don't technically live together. We're getting the car on the road together but it's going to be in his name with him doing most if not all of the driving (I live an hour away, but spend a lot of time at his place since I have to get rides from whoever goes out that way)

Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate it.

There is some good info to be found here:  https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/brochures/Pages/brochure_autoins.aspx

But, one thought that pops up is that if he is over 25 and you are under 25 you might need additional coverage as an occasional driver.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Others are more knowledgeable than I am
:hello: ;D

In Dec. 2013 my boyfriend rear ended someone with my car, under my insurance. He did get a ticket at the scene but the cop never filed it so it didn't go on his record. I made a claim through my insurance but since I only had liability coverage I didn't get anything from them. He didn't have any insurance at the time of the accident, it all went through mine.

We haven't had a car since then, but now we can finally afford to get one (unless the insurance is insane). My question is, if I shop around for a good quote I have to tell them there's a 100% at-fault accident on my record (I also have a speeding ticket on there for a few more months). But if my boyfriend shops around, will there be anything on his record since the ticket didn't go through? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
That the police officer did not file the ticket (presumably for careless driving under s.130 of the Highway Traffic Act) does not affect who is considered "at-fault" for insurance purposes.  It merely means that he was not convicted of a traffic offence (which is good :)).

What many folks don't understand, yourself included, is that allowing someone else to drive a vehicle that you own does not absolve you of liability for the accident. 

Insurance companies are in the business of weighing risk: that is why premiums are charged as they are.  If you are considered a higher 'risk' driver (by virtue of age, location where you drive, how many kilometres you cover per annum, or prior accidents or tickets), the likelihood of future payouts is considered higher.  On that basis, if you have made a claim to your insurer, it will be held against you as far as premiums are concerned.  That insurance companies only hold it against you for 3 years is actually a bit of a kindness, given that they could hold it against you for longer (there is no law to preclude them from doing so).

Your boyfriend would also have to report to any prospective insurer (while shopping around) that he has been in an accident.  Failure to do so may result in the insurer denying coverage if a claim is made despite premiums being paid (it is considered insurance fraud to omit important details, such as prior accidents, tickets, etc.).  That is a big risk that you would be taking as you could be personally liable for any claims made against you if your insurer denies payment.

The short answer to your question is that you should be honest with the insurer and shop around for the 'best' quotes naming both yourself or your boyfriend as the principal driver and the other as occasional.  You also need not insure both persons (it is perfectly acceptable for you to be the only 'insured' on your policy and let your boyfriend drive it frequently, so long as he is not an 'excluded' driver).  You should know this considering his accident was that exact situation.

Let me know if you need clarification on the above.