Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Kia Rio5 LX+  (Read 9301 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 05:40:21 pm »
I think the ability to utilize electric steering to compensate for road crowning, side winds, or torque steer greatly outweigh the marginal loss in "feel", especially for mainstream cars in the compact and sub-compact class.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 05:42:16 pm »
There was no steering feel at all in our Tercel or Corolla. The Vibe wasn't much better, but with electric steering, at lease it had an excuse.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 06:32:06 pm »
The marginal gains in mpg that electric steering brings isen't worth the trade off in poor feedback to me . Excluding the Honda Fit and Mazda 2 in the sub compacts , maybe the Fiesta and Yaris too .
go drive a Rio5 SX (if you are lucky enough to find one a lot somewhere, which is doubtful)...it is one of the better cars out there and has also been hinted at as "GTI-esque"...i'm not saying it's as good as a GTI, but likely reasonably close...it is by far one of the best handling small cars i have driven, and likely one of the better ones out there (realistically speaking).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »
Its a good car offering great value with a ton of features and looks great .
Heres a short review from Car and Driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-kia-rio5-first-drive-reviews

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »
Its a good car offering great value with a ton of features and looks great .
i have read a ton of reviews (especially prior to buying it) to find out what i should look for when i test drove it...while i accept the rear visibility comments (which isn't a big deal to me since i do shoulder checks and the car has a back-up camera anyway), i simply don't agree with the steering and suspension comments...some articles slag the car for it, other articles praise it...so, perhaps it is a subjective thing, or perhaps reviewers either can't be perfectly unbiased or are trying to feel something that isn't there because surely a $20k car can't be as good as $30k car, can it?

example:

The standard 1.6 liter gas direct injection 4-cylinder engine with a 6-speed automatic transmission with active eco system was quick off the draw with 138 horses and handling was a charm with a sport-tuned suspension and electric power steering.

What stands out the most in the ride and performance of the 2012 Kia Rio SX is the smooth ride and ability to absorb bumps and holes in less than favorable road conditions.

http://www.bullz-eye.com/cars/reviews/2012/2012_kia_rio/

As we said after our first drive of the 5-door in South Korea last fall, it's nothing like its predecessor. The chassis in our range-topping SX model feels planted on the 17-inch rubber and is comfortable shooting down the expressway at 70 mph. On center there is some play built into the wheel, but the electric steering system is tuned with a light feel and has reasonable response to be perfect for the majority of the audience. The brakes are a strong suit, with instant and strong grab with a firm pedal feel under foot.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120302/CARREVIEWS/120309979#ixzz1qe4LUQbS

Ride and Handling
With its Volkswagen-esque wheels and stylish exterior, the 2012 Rio SX 5-Door might lead some to believe they’re looking at a genuine sport hatch. But, until Kia fits the vehicle with tighter, more responsive steering, that designation will remain just out of reach.

Fortunately, there’s a deeper story to be told here, one that paints this Honda Fit foe in a more positive light. It starts with easily modulated brakes that are reliably effective and free of fade and shudder after a good bit of heat-inducing abuse, and continues with a chassis capable of tackling gradual, sweeping corners with considerable speed and minimal body roll. Indeed, the SX 5-Door proved to be an entertaining ride along curvy backcountry roads, and was equally nimble when darting in and out of fast-moving traffic on Boston’s busy Interstate 93.

As is typical, especially for subcompact, the Rio 5-Door’s handling accolades come at the expense of ride quality. Bumps are absorbed, but not to the point of isolating them from the cabin, so drivers and passengers should plan on being jostled a bit when pounding over rough pavement.

http://www.vehix.com/blog/reviews/review-2012-kia-rio-sx-5-door-delivers-big-impressions-in-a-small-package

while the above does mention some lack of feel when compared to a VW, it still praises the rest of the car (you can read the whole article if you wish)...one needs to keep in mind, this car is fully loaded at $22k...while perhaps not "the best", it isn't too far off and is very well priced, especially considering everything included (most cars don't even offer many of the included features here as extras, regardless of price)...i suppose if i was going to take my car to a track, and race it around there, i would likely feel the difference between the cars a little more, but from regular driving, the Rio5 SX is no worse than anything else i have driven and better than most.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 09:01:38 pm »
We bought one of these as a second car about three months ago, but ours is the EX UVO model with manual transmission. It mostly gets used as a city car on short trips, and considering it's new and has really only been driven in the winter (well, what there was of it) on winter gas, I've been satisfied with a typical fuel economy reading in the 7.3-7.7 L/100 km range. One time that I filled it up and immediately got onto the highway for about 20 km resulted in a reading of 5.8 L/100 km when I got off. These onboard computers tend to be optimistic, in my experience, but still. Not too shabby.

For interest's sake, I just looked up the US EPA fuel economy figures for this car: 30/40 mpg (US) or 7.8/5.9 L/100 km. Seems like ours is right on the money.

There are some things I don't love about the car but fuel economy isn't one of my complaints.

I wonder if the reviewers here should forget about quoting Canadian fuel economy numbers and just use the US EPA results. They seem far more relevant and "real world".

Sad thing is the Canadian numbers used to be correct.  I've owned 5 different cars from the 90's over the years and everyone could match or beat the Canadian numbers with ease.  Can't seem to do it on new cars though.  My guess is the auto makers put a lot of effort into tweaking the modern computer systems in order to get the best possible "test" results even if they know they aren't repeatable in normal driving.

Makes great advertising numbers but disappointed custumers.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
my first tank of gas was at 8.5...currently, about a 1/4 way through my second tank, it is down to low 7s...the rental i had (had about 15,000 kms on it) i was got 6.5 for the two days i had it...i have no worries about getting the 6.9 rated number once it is broken in.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 05:02:07 pm »

What stands out the most in the ride and performance of the 2012 Kia Rio SX is the smooth ride and ability to absorb bumps and holes in less than favorable road conditions.

I was interested to read this because I recall a recent article, from the same publication no less, that placed the Rio5 (in SX trim) mid-pack in a test of subcompact cars citing the following:

"The Kia was the slick ticket in stop-and-go ’round-town traffic, where the upscale cabin surfaces, foot-free transmission, and load o’ features could be contemplatively inhaled. When asked to samba in the back country, however, our not-from-Rio Rio5 was difficult to place with any accuracy, ever vague, tentative, and imprecise."

The initial quotes are more referring to harshness over bumpy roads. This article I'm quoting from refers more to 'fun-to-drive' handling feel, which is I think what we're talking about. It should also be noted that they're not comparing the Rio5 to BMW's or GTI's here, it's the immediate competition - Accent, Fit, etc.

Anyways, if interested, you can read more here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/best-small-cars-two-great-two-good-and-two-more-comparison-test

It just goes to show not one car will suit all drivers. While others may marginalize the importance of 'feel' and find much more value in luxury features, my priority list looks much different. In an ideal world I would love to have a car with it all, but until such time as I can buy a BMW M3, something has to go, and for me I'd toss luxury features far before I got rid of handling and driving 'feel'.

At the end of the day a Rio5 will meet the needs of most and it does a good job of being a multitasker. You can't ask a $22K car to be perfect at everything - the Rio5 isn't, nor is any of the competition.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 08:01:10 pm »
well, i'll be taking it out of town on Saturday...i will report back with its ability to handle the 401 and back country roads (going to a small town just outside of Tillsonburg).

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:41 am »
well, i'll be taking it out of town on Saturday...i will report back with its ability to handle the 401 and back country roads (going to a small town just outside of Tillsonburg).

Ingersoll??? We were there last weekend - never been before but a nice area, certainly lots of back roads!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:29 am »
no, Langton...Ingersoll is a city, Langton is very small town...same idea though...plenty of back country roads.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 03:05:08 pm »
We bought one of these as a second car about three months ago, but ours is the EX UVO model with manual transmission. It mostly gets used as a city car on short trips, and considering it's new and has really only been driven in the winter (well, what there was of it) on winter gas, I've been satisfied with a typical fuel economy reading in the 7.3-7.7 L/100 km range. One time that I filled it up and immediately got onto the highway for about 20 km resulted in a reading of 5.8 L/100 km when I got off. These onboard computers tend to be optimistic, in my experience, but still. Not too shabby.

For interest's sake, I just looked up the US EPA fuel economy figures for this car: 30/40 mpg (US) or 7.8/5.9 L/100 km. Seems like ours is right on the money.

There are some things I don't love about the car but fuel economy isn't one of my complaints.

I wonder if the reviewers here should forget about quoting Canadian fuel economy numbers and just use the US EPA results. They seem far more relevant and "real world".

Sad thing is the Canadian numbers used to be correct.  I've owned 5 different cars from the 90's over the years and everyone could match or beat the Canadian numbers with ease.  Can't seem to do it on new cars though.  My guess is the auto makers put a lot of effort into tweaking the modern computer systems in order to get the best possible "test" results even if they know they aren't repeatable in normal driving.

Makes great advertising numbers but disappointed custumers.

I suspect you might be right, PJ. A side effect is that many cars have become less enjoyable to drive - not necessarily slower, but with degraded throttle response - as a result.
I used to work here.