Author Topic: 2FA for this site?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon
2FA for this site?
« on: January 14, 2020, 11:17:47 pm »
I have just "returned" recently to autos.ca and am hoping that like more and more of the other forums that I am a member of that this site supports some form of 2FA...an authenticator? Is this available here?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:28:19 pm by 21Rouge »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: 2FA for this site?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:31:13 pm »
I don't believe this board has support for two factor authentication but an admin might know better.

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 04:56:12 am »
Thanks for the reply "Arthur". I hope you are not correct or at the least 2FA is soon to come.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:09:31 pm »
Why would we need two-factor authentication for this swamp? 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 05:05:50 am »
I see no reason for 2FA  on what is a chat site.   No money changes hands here.   No private data in the profiles.  Just no point.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 05:43:19 am »
(At the least I would not want someone else posting on autos.ca under my credentials) but much more importantly it is the cumulative acquisition of one's "personal information", bit by bit, from a variety of on-line sources that at some point can lead to a perfect storm of some form of identity theft.

Off the top of my head I would bet that in one's account, at the least, there is listed one's email address.

And there is the option on this site to send and receive PMs "Messages" (between registered forum members). I can imagine that more personal information might appear here, likely one's name and likely more. (Looking now I see there is a CLASSIFIED subFORUM on Autos.ca with the recommendation please read the stickied rules beware of scam / spam, please use PM for initial contact information.)

So say your autos.ca login/account has been comprised (maybe because of a poorly chosen password or the like).

And this piece of information i.e. at the least one's email address, coupled other "pieces of the identity puzzle", gotten say through social engineering i.e. "data mining" which results in additional personal information e.g. address, confirmation of your (full) name or maybe even a cell phone # (maybe obtained through FB or some other social media sites or other forums that one might belong to under the same username and or email address).

Nothing good can come of someone comprising any login that you have. And I know that we can underestimate what we consider as "personal" info. So in this day and age I appreciate the option to upgrade the security of any of my site logins. I do belong to other forums similar to this one in that at first glance may seem innocuous i.e. no obvious daily financial transactions take place and yet they offer upgraded security. It isn't a big ask anymore.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:56:57 am by 21Rouge »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 08:11:55 am »
(At the least I would not want someone else posting on autos.ca under my credentials) but much more importantly it is the cumulative acquisition of one's "personal information", bit by bit, from a variety of on-line sources that at some point can lead to a perfect storm of some form of identity theft.

Off the top of my head I would bet that in one's account, at the least, there is listed one's email address.

And there is the option on this site to send and receive PMs "Messages" (between registered forum members). I can imagine that more personal information might appear here, likely one's name and likely more. (Looking now I see there is a CLASSIFIED subFORUM on Autos.ca with the recommendation please read the stickied rules beware of scam / spam, please use PM for initial contact information.)

So say your autos.ca login/account has been comprised (maybe because of a poorly chosen password or the like).

And this piece of information i.e. at the least one's email address, coupled other "pieces of the identity puzzle", gotten say through social engineering i.e. "data mining" which results in additional personal information e.g. address, confirmation of your (full) name or maybe even a cell phone # (maybe obtained through FB or some other social media sites or other forums that one might belong to under the same username and or email address).

Nothing good can come of someone comprising any login that you have. And I know that we can underestimate what we consider as "personal" info. So in this day and age I appreciate the option to upgrade the security of any of my site logins. I do belong to other forums similar to this one in that at first glance may seem innocuous i.e. no obvious daily financial transactions take place and yet they offer upgraded security. It isn't a big ask anymore.

You can piece all that together by just reading posts lol
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 08:18:46 am »

No, as was written, one can get information such as an email and much likely more from an account that has been inappropriately accessed. 2FA for logins would lessen the chance that your account will be comprised. It seems odd to argue that less security is okay when it isn't unusual to have 2FA available on "non critical" sites.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:39:40 am by 21Rouge »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 08:22:08 am »

No, as was written, one can get information such email and much likely more from an account that has been inappropriately accessed. 2FA for logins would lessen the chance that your account will be comprised. It seems odd to argue that less security is okay.

Step back and look at the forest...you are underestimating people's proclivity to simply leave private pieces of information in the public...you can't code for that.

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 03:24:28 am »
We've just wrapped up a major software update to the autotrader.ca editorials site, and our next project is to look at autos.ca and CMG. I don't have a timeline yet, but I'll keep you guys informed.

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 02:26:25 pm »
We've just wrapped up a major software update to the autotrader.ca editorials site, and our next project is to look at autos.ca and CMG. I don't have a timeline yet, but I'll keep you guys informed.

Just wondering ALin if you have an update re any update to autos.ca? (And will the update include an option for 2FA via an authenticator app?)