Author Topic: Looking For an SUV - Acura RDX Elite vs. Lexus NX Luxury or F Sport 2 vs. ???  (Read 18940 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
As a impartial car guy, no car isnt on my list! heads to subaru website! lol

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile

-yes on the synthetic requirement.  But these engines also require more frequent oil changes increasing cost even more

The oil change interval is 10k MILES (about 16k Kms) or once per year.

Synthetic oil from Toyota is $6 a quart.

Neither is unreasonable IMO.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:57:14 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
FWIW, I'd also look at a full load Rav-4 hybrid.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
And I seem to be the only one with a turbo here.  :rofl2:
Except for my ExTee.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
1.8TSI is running about the same as my 2.0L XV, 2.5L and 3.6L Outbacks as far as maintenance costs.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
22500 or there about. 10k of that was running to the East coast and back.  ;D 

Really, a person can drive it without going much over 2k rpm. It's pretty grunty.

Torque steer isn't improved with the manual transmission. But I do use studded snows. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Except for my ExTee.
or my Sorento.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

-yes on the synthetic requirement.  But these engines also require more frequent oil changes increasing cost even more

The oil change interval is 10k MILES (about 16k Kms) or once per year.

Synthetic oil from Toyota is $6 a quart.

Neither is unreasonable IMO.

Funny.  I never said owning a turbo and the increased maintenance required to be unreasonable.  I simply said that there was increased maintenance, cost, and potential failures.

I was pointing that out because the interval and price doesn't really reflect added cost or additional maintenance.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
You are going to regret it if you get the NX and have a kid or two.
Unless you get one of those umbrella strollers, you're not going to be able to fit anything else other than your stroller in the cargo area of the NX.  My friend thought it could be okay before having his first child -- he is going to get a larger CUV when his lease is over.  If you start shopping and Costco AND have a baby, you're going to want to get something at least in a size of RDX or larger.

Have two or more kids? It's time to look at a minivan.  I know you and your wife probably don't even think about it, but it comes sooner than you might think.  I've been in your shoes just a few years ago, trust me with this.

My local Acura dealer keeps emailing me to trade in my MDX for a new one, but I resist the urge to open the emails.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Unless you get one of those umbrella strollers, you're not going to be able to fit anything else other than your stroller in the cargo area of the NX. 

I just shake my head at comments like that.  Does your friend own the largest stroller in the world?  How big of a stroller is needed to move a child around??  Well we must be awesome because IQ made due with an IS300.  Trunk space was 10 cu feet.  Room for a stroller (not some teeny-tiny thing either), baby bag....the usual things you might take with a day out with baby.  I bet the NX200 cargo space is at least double that.  And your buddy can't find room?  Maybe he needs to shop for a new stroller rather than a new car?

FFS...feel sorry for people who feel like they can't leave the house for an afternoon without packing like they're going away for a week....

Maybe next time you're at your buddies house, snap a picture for us.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:57:19 pm by rrocket »

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
Unless you get one of those umbrella strollers, you're not going to be able to fit anything else other than your stroller in the cargo area of the NX. 

I just shake my head at comments like that.  Does your friend own the largest stroller in the world?  How big of a stroller is needed to move a child around??  Well we must be awesome because IQ made due with an IS300.  Trunk space was 10 cu feet.  Room for a stroller (not some teeny-tiny thing either), baby bag....the usual things you might take with a day out with baby.  I bet the NX200 cargo space is at least double that.  And your buddy can't find room?  Maybe he needs to shop for a new stroller rather than a new car?

FFS...feel sorry for people who feel like they can't leave the house for an afternoon without packing like they're going away for a week....

More important than cargo room is if you can fit the child seat in the back seat while still being comfortable in the front seats. Rear facing child seats take up a s*** ton of space and you will need them for a long time make sure you can both sit comfortably and have enough room.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Ron's right here.

...buy the correct stroller and car seat, not the largest car you can find.  If you end up with twins, that's another story, but I'm sure a simple Google search will show that you can buy "compact" strollers that work perfectly.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Ron's right here.

...buy the correct stroller and car seat, not the largest car you can find.  If you end up with twins, that's another story, but I'm sure a simple Google search will show that you can buy "compact" strollers that work perfectly.

Says the guy without kids. 

Running strollers are FAR AND AWAY the best thing ever invented for carting around kids.  They're also quite large and bulky, even when folded down.

I'm not saying a running stroller won't fit in the back of an NX, but you won't get much more in there after you've maneuvered it in.  When we had the Altima, we had to make a choice:  Do we bring the running stroller and only a couple of small items, or do we bring the umbroller and more bulky items (let's say you're going out and bringing a cooler for lunch).  Is it doable?  Yes, absolutely, but you have to make choices and compromises. With the van (or a larger CUV), no such compromises are made.  That being said, we don't bring the running stroller out much anymore, as our kid is at an age where it just feels silly to put her in a stroller (still happens sometimes though, especially when a lot of walking is necessary, like the Zoo).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
i don't have kids, but to be fair, the stollers nowadays are massive...when i was little, they were basically a couple of folding umbrellas...now, they have larger wheels, coffee holders, suspension systems...i get that their nicer, but they are massive and expensive (some are almost $1000).

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
A few years back our Pilot was in the shop after smacking a deer.  Our rental at the time was the previous gen Escape.  A standard sized stroller took up nearly 100% of the footprint of the rear cargo area.  Hauling groceries and such was a pain in the ass.  Where do you pile them, on top of the stroller?  When you open the hatch there was a good chance some would roll out.  In this case where the stroller is eating up most of the footprint of the cargo space, a sedan would be better than a CUV.

Can you make it work?  Absolutely.  However, you could absolutely forget about putting two standard size strollers in the back  and having room for anything else.  I guess on the floor in the back seat.  And ya, then there's car seats. 

I like some space.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
Ron's right here.

Good luck with that! :rofl:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-432
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Ron's right here.

Says the guy without kids. 

Running strollers are FAR AND AWAY the best thing ever invented for carting around kids.  They're also quite large and bulky, even when folded down.

I'm not saying a running stroller won't fit in the back of an NX, but you won't get much more in there after you've maneuvered it in.  When we had the Altima, we had to make a choice:  Do we bring the running stroller and only a couple of small items, or do we bring the umbroller and more bulky items (let's say you're going out and bringing a cooler for lunch).  Is it doable?  Yes, absolutely, but you have to make choices and compromises. With the van (or a larger CUV), no such compromises are made.  That being said, we don't bring the running stroller out much anymore, as our kid is at an age where it just feels silly to put her in a stroller (still happens sometimes though, especially when a lot of walking is necessary, like the Zoo).

A sidewalk sweeper eh? I find the use of running strollers in busy public places to be inconsiderate of fellow citizens. With my kids we had a semi fancy portable rig that folded up like those cheap umbrella units. Soon we were using the $30 cheap umbrellas or making the kids walk. ;D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L

I said the same thing when he told me that.  I said, "Why don't you load the folded stroller on its side and put your other stuff in?" He said tried that but didn't make much difference with the strollers large wheels.  I think they're at least 10 or 11" in diameter. 
This is the one he has, I think:
https://www.bugaboo.com/CA/en_CA/strollers/bugaboo-cameleon3

I don't expect guys who had kids years ago to understand the 'issue', the strollers weren't this big back then.
And no-san, you don't get a say until you have a kid or two, lol

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Ughhh, i hate those people with a Kia hatchback sized stroller in public. Its like they think they deserve the right of way or something. Either get a proper, decent sized stroller that doesn't occupy as much footprint as a Japanese apartment, or park your kid and its stroller in the parking lot with the other vehicles.
Lighten up Francis.....