Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1625901 times)

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #5100 on: July 26, 2017, 11:59:36 am »
That's awesome. How fast does it go?

My 5 year old doesn't even like to ride her bicycle with training wheels.  :P

I haven't clocked it so not sure on the speed.  It's definitely much faster with just him riding it.  I had to really try hard to beat him going on a slight uphill in my bike.

He started riding 2 wheel last year and this year we picked him up a 20" bike with 7 speed.  He loves riding his bike too and it's much easier to maintain a decent pace when we ride as a family vs when he was on his 14" BMX style bike.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5101 on: July 26, 2017, 12:14:47 pm »
Picked this up a couple years ago from Salvation Army for $20. It wasn't working but took a chance that I could get it to work. Turns out all it needed was batteries and some wiring since I didn't have the proper connectors. All in including a new charger I think it was less than $80 including the 20 for the bike.

Anyway, my 6yr old just started riding it by himself this week. I always did it with him before. Weight limit is supposed to be around 200lbs and we're about 20lbs over combined now. He's loving it and always wants to ride now.

That. Is. Awesome!  :winner:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #5102 on: July 26, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »
Picked this up a couple years ago from Salvation Army for $20. It wasn't working but took a chance that I could get it to work. Turns out all it needed was batteries and some wiring since I didn't have the proper connectors. All in including a new charger I think it was less than $80 including the 20 for the bike.

Anyway, my 6yr old just started riding it by himself this week. I always did it with him before. Weight limit is supposed to be around 200lbs and we're about 20lbs over combined now. He's loving it and always wants to ride now.

Very cool!  :thumbup: That picture is awesome as well.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5103 on: July 26, 2017, 03:35:25 pm »

My son found a ev bike that someone was throwing out, new battery , a bit of wiring it was go to go
A month late the granddaughter who was 5 , was on a gas bike
At that age does take much to get them going

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: July 26, 2017, 03:45:50 pm »

That. Is. Awesome!  :winner:

X2.  Coolest kid in the neighbourhood!

My son found a ev bike that someone was throwing out, new battery , a bit of wiring it was go to go

Last pic...the eyes, the big smile...she is cute!  :) Whatever you want sweety...grandpa can't possibly say no to that face (doubts dad can either).  Don't even have girls and grand kids are in the distant future...and I don't know how anyone could say no to that face.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #5105 on: July 26, 2017, 04:10:13 pm »

That's awesome AB  :thumbup:

I'm always scouring Kijiji now for another minibike score.  Hoping to find a nice pocket bike for the little guy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: July 29, 2017, 02:39:06 am »
Got my new wedge I ordered! Going to hit the range tomorrow for some testing.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #5107 on: July 29, 2017, 08:14:54 am »
I didn't know you were a golfer. It's my new 'sport' as well.
Which wedge did you get?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5108 on: July 30, 2017, 04:42:12 pm »
I bought a used pontoon boat.  Yay

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:01:31 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #5109 on: July 30, 2017, 05:07:28 pm »
I bought a used party boat.  Yay

Fixed that for you.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: July 30, 2017, 05:26:23 pm »
Which wedge did you get?

I've pointed out before, when I was a teen I was a junior golfer...good enough to golf in Junior Boys tournament (it used to be sponsored by Burger King). I then quit completely after having a bad round and missing a cut. I think I was 15...never to touch a club again.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago...IQ wanted to learn, so I decided to play again. We both got custom fitted for clubs (this was sooooo interesting, science-ey and fun! ) and away we went. Sadly, I'm positively terrible now...Which I must admit really shocked me. I thought I'd still be good, considering advances in equipment and whatnot. But nope...I'm just not very good. To put into perspective, I golfed much lower scores when I was 15! If you want to read about our fitting session go here https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=93151.msg1110153#msg1110153

I'm a big wedge fan, as I've never been a long hitter, even back when. So my strength was my very short game. I've continued to concentrate on that part of my game and at various times played with up to 5 wedges in the bag.

I've been a huge fan of the Cleveland Niblick/Smart Sole series of wedges. http://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/clubs-/smart-sole-3s-wedge/MSMARTSOLE3S.html They are so incredibly easy to hit, they should be illegal. The wide sole glides across the turf preventing chunking. And they fly super-high and drop down softly with minimal roll. They can also be used as chippers around the green when using a putting stroke. They are very, very versatile. I had the 37, 42, 49 and 56 degree options. I had long wished they made a higher loft club instead of using a traditional sand wedge (they only make 2 lofts now with the new Smart Sole 3). So I was really surprised and happy to see the design of the C3i wedge. It's 100 percent knock off design of the Clevelands! Except in 65 degree.

So I had to have one. And so far I'm really, really pleased!

Over the last 3 years, IQ and I have established a USGA handicap so we can play in tournaments vs "real" players. There's even a golf tour for "hackers" which we're going to play in. IQs skill level is very good for having never golfed...she puts in lots of time practicing and it shows. I'd say she's probably nearly as "good" as me if I'm honest. She's beaten me straight up a few times already, and once handicap was considered, positively destroyed me.

We love the game and we're very fortunate to be close to Michigan and some absolutely world class courses that charge paltry sums to play. Michigan is a golfers paradise as far a bang for buck goes. Our favorites is The Majestic. http://www.majesticgolf.com It's a massive course as the name suggests.

Other favorites are Coyote http://www.coyotegolfclub.com and especially the Coyote Preserve ( Arnold Palmer designed) http://www.coyotepreserve.com/course/

We've also done week stays at The Loon Resort http://www.loongolfresort.com and live just down the road from http://www.kingsvillegolf.com  When I was a junior, I was a caddie at and practiced at http://www.essexgolf.com which held the Canadian Open for PGA, Senior PGA and LPGA..the only club in Canada to do so.

If you ever want to try and set up a time to golf, please let me know! I'm sure I won't give you much of a game, but I sure love getting out to play!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:33:52 pm by rrocket »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: July 30, 2017, 05:29:21 pm »
My son in law went to the U of Tennessee on a golf  scholarship

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: July 30, 2017, 05:36:35 pm »
My son in law went to the U of Tennessee on a golf  scholarship
The guy we golf with is a scratch golfer...since he was in his teens. Could have went anywhere for golf scholarship...but said "meh, don't want to".

What a ding dong!

I read an article awhile ago saying universities are having a really hard time finding golf scholarship kids because kids aren't playing the game much anymore. (attention span too short and game too expensive to play)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5113 on: July 30, 2017, 06:47:15 pm »

Boss!  (channeling Railton)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: July 30, 2017, 07:22:44 pm »
Nice !

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5115 on: July 30, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »

Boss!  (channeling Railton)
Neat! The ultimate lounge boat!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5116 on: July 30, 2017, 11:23:41 pm »

Nice! 

I put 20 hrs on our boat this past month, after it had only 89 hrs for the first nine years of its life with the previous owner.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: July 31, 2017, 12:09:48 am »
Which wedge did you get?

I've pointed out before, when I was a teen I was a junior golfer...good enough to golf in Junior Boys tournament (it used to be sponsored by Burger King). I then quit completely after having a bad round and missing a cut. I think I was 15...never to touch a club again.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago...IQ wanted to learn, so I decided to play again. We both got custom fitted for clubs (this was sooooo interesting, science-ey and fun! ) and away we went. Sadly, I'm positively terrible now...Which I must admit really shocked me. I thought I'd still be good, considering advances in equipment and whatnot. But nope...I'm just not very good. To put into perspective, I golfed much lower scores when I was 15! If you want to read about our fitting session go here https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=93151.msg1110153#msg1110153

I'm a big wedge fan, as I've never been a long hitter, even back when. So my strength was my very short game. I've continued to concentrate on that part of my game and at various times played with up to 5 wedges in the bag.

I've been a huge fan of the Cleveland Niblick/Smart Sole series of wedges. http://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/clubs-/smart-sole-3s-wedge/MSMARTSOLE3S.html They are so incredibly easy to hit, they should be illegal. The wide sole glides across the turf preventing chunking. And they fly super-high and drop down softly with minimal roll. They can also be used as chippers around the green when using a putting stroke. They are very, very versatile. I had the 37, 42, 49 and 56 degree options. I had long wished they made a higher loft club instead of using a traditional sand wedge (they only make 2 lofts now with the new Smart Sole 3). So I was really surprised and happy to see the design of the C3i wedge. It's 100 percent knock off design of the Clevelands! Except in 65 degree.

Over the last 3 years, IQ and I have established a USGA handicap so we can play in tournaments vs "real" players. There's even a golf tour for "hackers" which we're going to play in. IQs skill level is very good for having never golfed...she puts in lots of time practicing and it shows. I'd say she's probably nearly as "good" as me if I'm honest. She's beaten me straight up a few times already, and once handicap was considered, positively destroyed me.

We love the game and we're very fortunate to be close to Michigan and some absolutely world class courses that charge paltry sums to play. Michigan is a golfers paradise as far a bang for buck goes. Our favorites is The Majestic. http://www.majesticgolf.com It's a massive course as the name suggests.

Other favorites are Coyote http://www.coyotegolfclub.com and especially the Coyote Preserve ( Arnold Palmer designed) http://www.coyotepreserve.com/course/

We've also done week stays at The Loon Resort http://www.loongolfresort.com and live just down the road from http://www.kingsvillegolf.com  When I was a junior, I was a caddie at and practiced at http://www.essexgolf.com which held the Canadian Open for PGA, Senior PGA and LPGA..the only club in Canada to do so.

If you ever want to try and set up a time to golf, please let me know! I'm sure I won't give you much of a game, but I sure love getting out to play!
I love Cleveland Golf wedges too. I use their old CG15s style wedges because I love the classic look and their performance.
My game just needs a little more consistency, especially with the long stick.
If I can just get my driver in play often enough, I can consistently shoot in mid to high 80s.

I would love to come out there and play, but  with time limitations, I have to stick with local courses, at least until kids are old enough.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: July 31, 2017, 12:29:54 am »
Which wedge did you get?

I love Cleveland Golf wedges too. I use their old CG15s style wedges because I love the classic look and their performance.
If I can just get my driver in play often enough, I can consistently shoot in mid to high 80s.

I would love to come out there and play, but  with time limitations, I have to stick with local courses, at least until kids are old enough.

Seriously...go get fitted for a driver. Professionally fit to your swing it helps tremendously.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: July 31, 2017, 06:48:31 am »
Which wedge did you get?

Seriously...go get fitted for a driver. Professionally fit to your swing it helps tremendously.
Yeah I know but I'm too cheap. Also, I feel what I'm doing wrong with my bad shots so I keep telling myself that I can fix it myself.
Having said that, I'll look into getting one next chance I get.