Author Topic: Costs and Process of Private Selling in ON  (Read 185024 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Costs and Process of Private Selling in ON
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2007, 12:08:19 pm »
Try calling the MTO on that one.  Implications are that if the guy leaves the car in a ditch and your name is on the ownership YOU will be called and will be paying the cost to towing etc etc.

But I would call the MTO to find out, if you signed the ownership over they have a few days (3 or 5 I forget) to transfer the car or they are in trouble.

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2007, 12:08:14 am »

What is the process and cost if I sell 'as-is'?

Well if you are a nice person, you can drive it over to the new owner's place or to a garage of their choice to have the safety inspection performed.

It is up to the buyer to pay for the Safety Standards Certificate, any required repairs and the Used Vehicle Information Package.

The buyer pays for the UVIP? I thought it was the seller. So if I'm buying an uncertified car I have to buy the UVIP?
05 Pontiac Vibe, 02 Acura 1.7EL (both passed on to kids), 03 CRV, '12 Civic (wife's)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2007, 08:42:28 am »
Seller is typically suppose to buy the UVIP

barrie1

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2007, 07:30:35 pm »
Knulkez just drive your car to the wreckers of your choice and they usually buy it right there and then. They don't pay much but it is worth more if you can drive it in instead of them picking it up. The selling Owner and the buyer of any car transaction are both on the hook to have the paper work changed over within 6 days in Ont I believe it is now.  They can both be charged with a offence if this is not done. The seller is responsible for the $20.00 green package on the vehicle as well. Bak12lan if you sold the car as-is then you have NO liability to the new owner on this matter at all as he purchased the car AS-IS. You are liable tho if he has not transferred the ownership within the 6 day time period tho the same as him.  :)

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2007, 11:19:46 pm »
Try calling the MTO on that one.  Implications are that if the guy leaves the car in a ditch and your name is on the ownership YOU will be called and will be paying the cost to towing etc etc.

If he leaves the car in the ditch then the police will be called. We'll call you and you'll say "I sold it". We'll then tow it to a tow compound who will then contact you again a few times. Once it sits in the tow compound for XX number of days the tow company gets to change the ownership to their name and they can scrap it.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2007, 09:10:00 pm »
Really?  That's good to know ;)  I know someone that sold a car to someone it turned up burned out in a ditch and he was called and paid a bunch of fines.  I guess he should have ignored them.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2007, 02:52:10 pm »
This is sad. I'm having to re-read my own thread. What'd ya'all tell me again?  :think:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:00:21 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2007, 03:09:55 pm »

If he leaves the car in the ditch then the police will be called. We'll call you and you'll say "I sold it". We'll then tow it to a tow compound who will then contact you again a few times. Once it sits in the tow compound for XX number of days the tow company gets to change the ownership to their name and they can scrap it.

Would that mean if you took it back, you could resell it / sell twice?  ;D

ceato

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2010, 10:28:00 am »
Looking at selling my own Nissan Altima so this is a great post. Enjoyed reading the looooooong....thread.

mikemcm

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2010, 01:09:29 pm »
Seven years ago I sold a Ford Tempo to a guy "as-is" for < 1k. I sold it cheaper because it had a bad transmission. It was a BC car moved to Ontario so no rust. He asked me to leave the name blank on the ownership change as it was for his Dad who was sick. Stupidly I did but still put the date in. I also had a bill of sale from him. About 10 days later I get a call from a new guy who says I sold him a bad car and wanted his money back. Of course I said I had sold it to another guy. The buyer of my car was a "curb sider". He could get the car easily certified because transmissions aren't part of the certification. He then just flipped the car for 5k. He whited out the sell date on the ownership and tried to say he was selling the car for me. The guy who got ripped off said he was going to the cops and that's the last I heard of it. Lesson learned is fill out the ownership change meticulously.

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2011, 09:49:59 pm »
Sorry, without reading back through this whole long thread, what if you buy a car from a relative (mother-in-law in this case)? What is the paperwork involved, can you save any time and/or money because it's a relative?

I'm not worried about the idea of getting a bad car from a friend or relative causing bad feelings, because it's a 10 year old car for about $2000, just for a 3rd car for the kids.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2011, 09:52:52 pm »
Between husband and wife , no tax in Ontario, but between kids and parents taxes, is what I was told , in Ontario anyway

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2011, 04:04:51 pm »
Sorry, without reading back through this whole long thread, what if you buy a car from a relative (mother-in-law in this case)? What is the paperwork involved, can you save any time and/or money because it's a relative?

To receive tax exemption from mother-in-law you both need to sign a form in front of a person who can swear Affidavits.  It's a stupid rule meant as a road block.  The will do this free at Service Ontario.

Other than that, it's the usual safety certificate and e test.

Offline stevek

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 08:26:52 am »
Yeah, I was told if it goes from mother-in-law to my wife, her daughter, then it's a parent-child gift and you save in fees or taxes. So we would just do that, put in in my wife's name.

So if the in-laws decide to get a new car, we'll take their '02 Sebring for a couple thousand. If not, I'm looking for a reasonable 3rd car for the kids, maybe the 03 CRV in my other thread.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 10:36:10 pm »
I was told if it goes from mother-in-law to my wife

It can also go from mother in law directly to you.

So we would just do that, put in in my wife's name.

Best to put the "kids" car in the name of the spouse who has the least assets.

Or if this is your 3rd vehicle then just register the car in one of the kids name and insure them on a separate policy.  They become primary status either way on a "third" vehicle.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2011, 07:09:07 am »
New etest laws.  7 years and non for lease buyouts

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »

I thought once married you are joint and severally liable for this stuff.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 09:11:21 pm »
Lesson learned is fill out the ownership change meticulously.

And even that isn't good enough.

I would not sign over an ownership simply because its still in your name till the buyer registers it, if they even do. In the meantime, the buyer may put some bogus plates on it and drive it without insurance. Its still in your name and you are responsible for any actions done with the vehicle.

I take the buyer to the MTO and have the vehicle transferred into their name on the spot, either fit or unfit.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2011, 09:29:28 pm »

I thought once married you are joint and severally liable for this stuff.

NO

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:29 pm »
The exception, and this is somewhat difficult to enforce, is the following example:

Vehicle is husband's name; accident; for whatever reason judgment exceeds insurance limit or perhaps  DUI and insurance void.  Assets, including house in wife's name.  Wife has never reported an income or an income so low that she could never have accumulated X assets.  Wife has never inherited or won money.  How did wife obtain these assets?  Are they in fact assets of the husband in most cases.

Being guarantor on a mortgage has no relationship to ownership.