Poll

Do you run winter tires or all-seasons during the winter months?

Winter Tires
354 (76.5%)
All-Season Tires
109 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: POLL: Winters vs All-Season Tires  (Read 358209 times)

morty

POLL: Winters vs All-Season Tires
« on: October 01, 2005, 06:06:01 pm »
We want to get an idea about what Canadians are running during those crazy and unpredictable winter months. Just for curiosity sake let's find out. What are you running? Do you think A/S tires live up to their claims or are Winter tires a necessity?

It's anonymous, so make sure you vote!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 06:08:47 pm by morty »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: POLL: Winters vs All-Season Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 06:15:50 pm »
No need to hide.  I haven't used an all-season tire in nearly 20 years and unless things change radically, never will again.  In fact, winter tires are getting better all the time and I don't see all-seasons advancing at any fast pace.  It seems that manufacturers have been spurred on by the awareness in winter tire usage to put lots of R&D into their winter tires, and that is GREAT news for all of us.

When I lived in the Yukon, I ran snow tires, and they looked alot different than they do today.  Big, lugged beasts of tires they were.  Looked hilarous on my little Civic, but they worked.  When we moved to Edmonton back in the early 80's I was convinced to try all-season tires since we would be driving in the city all winter.  Whooops!  After a few frustrating winters, went back to winter tires and haven't looked back.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 06:21:14 pm »
On any vehicle I drive in the winter months, 4 snows on dedicated rims. Have been doing that for quite a while now.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

robarakira

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 06:28:39 pm »
Living in Victoria there is only a need for winter tires for about 1 week every year.  The temperature is so mild that the softer compound isn't needed.

My tires only see about an inch of snow here for a couple days, and the same just at the peak of driving to the ski hills.  All seasons with accountable tread are fine.

Traum

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 07:36:33 pm »
Being in Vancouver, I hardly think there is a need for snow tires unless you are living in North/West Van where the elevations are higher and the terrain much more hilly.

-Rick

avtoller

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 07:48:32 pm »
Snow? We don't get no stinkin' snow!!  ;D We had a total of 1 snowfall day last year in beautiful uptown Port Alberni. It would have been nice to have snows that day, but I still managed to get around OK. Fortunately there is little traffic here at any time, and most people seem to hibernate when their lawns turn white.  8) ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 08:40:22 pm »
this will be the first year since 1985 that I will be running snow tires

crolly

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 08:52:51 pm »
ran AS tires on my old corolla for 2 winters and then my wife and i encountered a close call that could have easily been a nasty fender bender. the AS tires just didn't give sufficient traction.  i swore never to under-equip my vehicles again!  never!

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 06:45:30 pm »
There is lots of talk in car mags,forums etc about suspension -shocks, spring etc, power, ABS etc. Despite this, it all still relies on 4 contact patches that are not all that big-one on each corner of your car. Under (most likely ) the worst conditions most drivers will encounter with the most marginal grip (winter) why would you not use proper tires?

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 09:16:04 pm »
I don't have snow tires, but I have a four wheel drive pickup truck.  As mentioned by Ross, it doesn't snow that much in the Vancouver/Vancouver Island area.  Having said that, if my daily driving was two wheel drive I would invest in a set of snows.  As for the V8 Miata.....it gets parked in the garage, with a new coat of wax and a car cover. ;D
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 10:08:15 pm »
I used to run all-seasons on my little '88 Sentra in Montreal.   I drove through many snow storms with them in my younger days.  :) 

Traum

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 10:35:42 pm »
Yeah, when I was doing school in Ontario, I was too cheap to get a set of new rims and snow tires. Besides, I wouldn't have any space at the dorm for that anyway. So I just braved it out with my set of all-seasons for 3 years, and luckily I have never been stuck.

-Rick

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 12:35:05 am »
Live near Toronto, and wouldn't be caught dead without winter tires.  Having a heavy snowfall prevent me from going skiing is an irony I will not accept.

robarakira

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 01:25:31 am »
woudn't it be safe to say all Canadians should have winters on their winter drivers unless they live on the Southern BC coast?

http://weathernetwork.com/weather/stats/pages/C02046.htm?CABC0313

avtoller

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 02:07:19 am »
I think that would be a fairly reasonable statement. I particularly worry about people with 4-wheel drive who seem to think they don't need snows. Yes, they can accelerate well, but their stopping and turning is really little better (if any) than with 2-wheel drive. I've seen a lot of 4WD vehicles in the ditch every year with even minimal snow falls. Over confidence can be a real killer.

robarakira

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 02:56:39 am »
stopping and turning is really little better (if any) than with 2-wheel drive.

Actually a heavy tall 4WD SUV with a high center of gravity without snows will corner and brake worse than 2wd sedan without snows.  Pretty much 4WD/AWD is helpful when you have your foot on the gas, otherwise you can be worse off.

mark

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 12:02:20 pm »
I've been using winter tires since getting my second car in 1996, and can't ever see myself not using them in the future unless I move.

avtoller

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 12:07:15 pm »
stopping and turning is really little better (if any) than with 2-wheel drive.

Actually a heavy tall 4WD SUV with a high center of gravity without snows will corner and brake worse than 2wd sedan without snows.  Pretty much 4WD/AWD is helpful when you have your foot on the gas, otherwise you can be worse off.

I assumed that went without saying.  ;D  Comparing apples to apples though (eg Impreza vs Corolla) there might be SOME tiny advantage - engine braking on all 4 wheels - but not very significant.

nefcanuck

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 03:33:02 pm »
I've run all seasons here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) since I got my license in '93.  If the weather gets that bad that only snows would get me where I wanted to go, I just wouldn't go thanks  ;D

Besides, I took driving lessons in the winter and remember the #1 rule I was taught It doesn't matter what kind of tires or drive system you have (FWD/RWD/4WD/AWD) if you overdrive for the conditions you'll just end up in the ditch that much faster

NefCanuck

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 03:27:45 pm »
The GTA roads are full of people who have to commute to work.  The only excuse most employers will accept is if the roads are closed or police are advising commuters to stay home.  That takes a major snowfall.

For conditions between flurries and road closures, everyone is stuck driving at the speed of the slowest car (or group of cars) in front of them, so I suppose if crawling along with traffic is acceptable to you in the GTA, A/S tires will suffice.  What I like about winter tires, is that I can get out of the way of cars sliding towards me, and that my car is also much less likely to become that sliding brick.