Author Topic: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2024, 08:17:49 pm »
Send 'em back! You, your wife, and your Shelties deserve better! ;)

Seriously, if there's any concern about safety, then don't drive on them.  It's not a great deal unless you're McCheap Finkelberger.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 08:25:35 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2024, 08:22:02 am »
Yeah, no, PMC looks really shady. Whenever I buy tires I tell buddy specifically that I want something made within the last 12-18 months, otherwise don't bother. Only have had Cambodian Tire turn their nose up at my request.

If I remember correctly PMC sent Blueprint a tire and wheel set up that did not meet load specs of the CX90 PHEV. Really makes me want to stay away from them.

On about page 11 of this thread

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=121073.200

They did, but getting early tech info on the CX-90 was tough, even with me going through Mazda (the aftermarket - except for Amazon's Chinese suppliers - doesn't even have floor mats for the thing). They did good on their promise at least and took the whole set back, with shipping, at no cost to me.

As for the teenage tires, if the old Ouback does not see sustained highway speeds, and just putters around town, might as well keep them. I'd never take them above 80-90 though. Had a friend suffer a blowout on no-wear 11 y.o. tires on an eldery parent's little-used car, but that's with 11 year of sunlight exposure though.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2024, 08:45:23 am »
Yeah, no, PMC looks really shady. Whenever I buy tires I tell buddy specifically that I want something made within the last 12-18 months, otherwise don't bother. Only have had Cambodian Tire turn their nose up at my request.

If I remember correctly PMC sent Blueprint a tire and wheel set up that did not meet load specs of the CX90 PHEV. Really makes me want to stay away from them.

They did, but getting early tech info on the CX-90 was tough, even with me going through Mazda (the aftermarket - except for Amazon's Chinese suppliers - doesn't even have floor mats for the thing). They did good on their promise at least and took the whole set back, with shipping, at no cost to me.

As for the teenage tires, if the old Ouback does not see sustained highway speeds, and just putters around town, might as well keep them. I'd never take them above 80-90 though. Had a friend suffer a blowout on no-wear 11 y.o. tires on an eldery parent's little-used car, but that's with 11 year of sunlight exposure though.
For the sake of $200 difference when compared to brand new tires shipped to your door?  ???

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2024, 08:47:25 am »

For the sake of $200 difference when compared to brand new tires shipped to your door?  ???

It's all relative - at 400,000 km, the op's Outback already has one wheel in the junkyard. I'd never use tires this old for a more recent and valuable dd that sees highway use.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2024, 08:57:42 am »

It's all relative - at 400,000 km, the op's Outback already has one wheel in the junkyard. I'd never use tires this old for a more recent and valuable dd that sees highway use.
Of course, it's all relative. :)  If anyone (let alone a relative) is going to be driving this car then intentionally driving on tires which may blow out with prolonged highway driving makes no sense whatsoever. Burl is likely sending those tires back as we speak.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2024, 09:02:26 am »

Of course, it's all relative. :)  If anyone (let alone a relative) is going to be driving this car then intentionally driving on tires which may blow out with prolonged highway driving makes no sense whatsoever. Burl is likely sending those tires back as we speak.
Exactly, if it was going on your mother in laws car, sure put them on.   :rofl2:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2024, 09:07:11 am »

Exactly, if it was going on your mother in laws car, sure put them on.   :rofl2:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2024, 09:08:45 am »
 >:D

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2024, 11:13:49 am »

I happen to be drinking tea when I saw this post.  Needless to say, some of it came through my nose.  Thanks for that.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2024, 11:23:51 am »

I happen to be drinking tea when I saw this post.  Needless to say, some of it came through my nose.  Thanks for that.

You haven't met my MIL  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2024, 04:05:40 pm »
Now 30% off on Motomaster winter edge 2. Guaranteed fresh as they just started selling them last year.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2024, 04:19:43 pm »
You know you want to  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2024, 04:38:23 pm »
You know you want to  ;D

Hercules was acquired by Cooper, who was acquired by Goodyear. So we're back to Goodyear  ;D (and Cooper makes some of the Motomaster tires, who may be related to Hercules  :rofl:)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2024, 06:02:20 pm »

The difference is more like $450 with these, it's so tempting, but I can't do it, gonna sent them back   :'(
It warmed up a bit and I had a better look at them to see if I wanted to mount them and compared them to other tires I have, some near the same age....they are hard like hockey pucks.  Harder than any old tires I have, very much harder than new tires (I was just at CanadianTire and checked), they are almost plastic-like.   
We do drive this car a fair amount and it does see occasional 401 usage, usually full of dogs too.   It's not that I'm scared they'll blow out, I just don't think they'll have much grip and will possibly also chunk in the summer.
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2024, 06:05:18 pm »
You know you want to  ;D

Hercules was acquired by Cooper, who was acquired by Goodyear. So we're back to Goodyear  ;D (and Cooper makes some of the Motomaster tires, who may be related to Hercules  :rofl:)

I wonder if  my new employee rebates will include Cooper or Hercules?  Gonna ask.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2024, 06:08:04 pm »

If only my mother in law drove.   They're as hard-edged as she is

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2024, 06:18:18 pm »
Now 30% off on Motomaster winter edge 2. Guaranteed fresh as they just started selling them last year.

Anyone have any personal experience with these tires? My Civic could use some new winter tires but don't want to break the bank on a 17 year old sh**box.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2024, 06:28:15 pm »

Anyone have any personal experience with these tires? My Civic could use some new winter tires but don't want to break the bank on a 17 year old sh**box.

I'd look for a set of 1-2 year old used tires, to be honest.  Gotta be plenty of Civic-sized tires around.

Here is a set mounted on rims.  Not sure what brand they are, but it's a question that could be asked.  I bet if you offered $450, the guy would take it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/winnipeg/225-40-18-honda-winter-tires-rims-as-new/1682185888
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 06:33:21 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2024, 06:31:23 pm »

What size are they Civic tires? 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.