Author Topic: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com  (Read 6168 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 06:20:47 pm »
Not sure what I want to do, with my employee rebate applied the total cost to me will be under $350 for the set.
I could resell them to someone who doesn't care about the age for $400?   
Use them but be paranoid about the age?
Return them and keep shopping?

You'd resell those tires for $50. profit thinking that they are possibly unsafe ???

There is nothing wrong with those tires.  Use them.  They look like snows in the pic.

Regardless, they are at least "GOOD FOR A YEAR".

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2024, 07:21:13 pm »
If you see no cracking then I would go for it.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 07:46:05 pm »
Not sure what I want to do, with my employee rebate applied the total cost to me will be under $350 for the set.
I could resell them to someone who doesn't care about the age for $400?   
Use them but be paranoid about the age?
Return them and keep shopping?

You'd resell those tires for $50. profit thinking that they are possibly unsafe ???

There is nothing wrong with those tires.  Use them.  They look like snows in the pic.

Regardless, they are at least "GOOD FOR A YEAR".

Just rounding up, don't care about profit, if I did I'd ask $500, marketplace folks would probably offer me $200 anyhow.  It's just so I would save the hassle of having to ship them back
They are winter performance tires, I've had them before and they are decent tires for the winters we have and I'd probably leave them on the beater all year round.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 07:47:58 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2024, 09:18:36 pm »
Yes, offers are always at 50% of new, if new.

People in the last 20 years have developed this false impression of what the real world actually is.  Those tires 40 years ago in this country or yesterday in the ROW would be considered awesome.

You are paying next to nothing.  I do not see a problem.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2024, 09:51:56 pm »
PMCtire has responded. 
Apparently they knew how old they were, but didn't think I'd mind as it's such a good deal.   :P
They offered to let me return them and they'll sell them to someone else who doesn't understand date codes.   Goodyear seems to be fine with this, no age limits.

Returning on your dime or theirs?

Seems shady nonetheless, however if Goodyear is fine with it....

I assume return on their dime.
 If they had told me beforehand how old they were I could have made an informed decision, we were already in email contact before they were shipped.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2024, 10:39:32 pm »
I'd be more concerned about going with a 12 year old design vs something more modern.
This is why there's still leftovers?  Wasn't a great seller?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2024, 08:23:34 am »
I'd be more concerned about going with a 12 year old design vs something more modern.

Maybe.  I seem to recall Good Years were slightly lower tier (ranking below the top 4-5) when it came to winter tire ratings and reviews but still fairly pricey back in the day. I was doing a lot of winter tire research in 2011 for the new ML350  and remember thinking I could do better for similar money.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2024, 09:30:15 am »

People in the last 20 years have developed this false impression of what the real world actually is.  Those tires 40 years ago in this country or yesterday in the ROW would be considered awesome.

This, cost is low enough, just run them. Leave them on all year and burn through them.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2024, 09:37:58 am »

This, cost is low enough, just run them. Leave them on all year and burn through them.

Not a bad idea. With ratings I sometimes wonder if the #1 rated item is actually only marginally better than the product finishing 4 or 5 places back.  Sometimes good enough is, in fact, good enough.  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2024, 10:05:56 am »

Maybe.  I seem to recall Good Years were slightly lower tier (ranking below the top 4-5) when it came to winter tire ratings and reviews but still fairly pricey back in the day. I was doing a lot of winter tire research in 2011 for the new ML350  and remember thinking I could do better for similar money.

These were police car tires for the most part from what I gather, at least the size I got was.   They are certainly not the best winter tire, but they are a pretty much a good all-weather tire as they also handle decently.   Going on an old Outback with almost 400k.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2024, 10:17:38 am »
Going on an old Outback with almost 400k.

So the tires won't be what you are really worried about  :rofl2:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2024, 10:22:14 am »

I think I will use them, but only because I can get my employee rebate as well, which makes them stupid cheap and it appears Goodyear will honour warranties.    Again, I don't like that PMCtire didn't inform me the tires were that old, they just hope people don't notice the dates, that seems really sketchy of them.   I wonder if someone (not me)  asked them how old can a tire be and still be safe what they'd say?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2024, 10:23:25 am »
Going on an old Outback with almost 400k.

So the tires won't be what you are really worried about  :rofl2:

Yup, to a large degree.   
Next thing it needs is front axles, they're clicking on turns.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2024, 10:28:02 am »

I think I will use them, but only because I can get my employee rebate as well, which makes them stupid cheap and it appears Goodyear will honour warranties.    Again, I don't like that PMCtire didn't inform me the tires were that old, they just hope people don't notice the dates, that seems really sketchy of them.   I wonder if someone (not me)  asked them how old can a tire be and still be safe what they'd say?
I totally get it.

If I'm spending my dough on something "new", I expect it to be mostly that....Not 12 years old!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2024, 11:31:05 am »

I totally get it.

If I'm spending my dough on something "new", I expect it to be mostly that....Not 12 years old!

I just found out from Goodyear that these tires are still in production, so not discontinued and can't get new ones as PMCtire  told me was the situation.    PMCtire is saying their supplier bought a large amount of old tires from Goodyear  and are passing the savings on to me, didn't address that he lied and told me they were out of production.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2024, 11:48:19 am »
I guess if you are just running a beater around town and they've been kept inside out of the sun all this time.

My BIL drove a motorhome to us with old tires, and when he arrived after a 10 hour trip they were disintegrating, steel belts poking out everywhere

Does the tread still seems reasonably soft? Not much of a winter tire if that hardened up

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2024, 11:49:16 am »
Regardless, I agree about PMC Tire coming off looking pretty sketchy

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2024, 12:49:35 pm »
Yeah, no, PMC looks really shady. Whenever I buy tires I tell buddy specifically that I want something made within the last 12-18 months, otherwise don't bother. Only have had Cambodian Tire turn their nose up at my request.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2024, 01:28:36 pm »
Yeah, no, PMC looks really shady. Whenever I buy tires I tell buddy specifically that I want something made within the last 12-18 months, otherwise don't bother. Only have had Cambodian Tire turn their nose up at my request.

If I remember correctly PMC sent Blueprint a tire and wheel set up that did not meet load specs of the CX90 PHEV. Really makes me want to stay away from them.

On about page 11 of this thread

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=121073.200

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2024, 01:35:02 pm »
Holy crap.

Light them on fire and send them back.

I kid, I kid.