Author Topic: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com  (Read 6173 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com
« on: January 08, 2024, 01:41:16 pm »
Guess I'll make a new topic about this one.

December 22nd I ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle GW-2 winter tires from PMCtire.com, received them on Jan 5th.
I looked at the serial numbers and build date and realized the tires are 12 years old already.

Sent a email to PMCtire stating they must have mistakenly sent me 12 year old tires and I am awaiting my fresh set. 
Haven't heard back yet.

Sent an email to Goodyear Consumer relations, they replied with a canned BS answer: "While there is no data that demonstrates a tire is less safe when it reaches a certain age, for consumers who are concerned about the age or condition of their tires, it is recommended they let a tire professional inspect their tires."   So apparently Goodyear tires can last forever, there is no data to determine they are unsafe at any age.   I asked them to clarify, as on the Goodyear.ca website it says 6 years is expected from date of use. (not age)

Mr Pickypants

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 01:48:01 pm »
Never thought that old would be a thing, but it looks like PMC even has a procedure for it:

For tires with a DOT of less than 3 years: We consider these tires to be still at their optimal performance. The manufacturer guarantees these tires for a period of 6 years from the date of purchase. If a problem occurs, we are here to help you file a claim with the manufacturer. However, in PMCtire's 14-year history, this situation has never happened!

For tires with a DOT older than 3 years: If a tire has escaped our vigilance and you wish to return it, we will cover the return shipping costs. Otherwise, we offer financial compensation based on the age of the DOT:

30% discount for a 4-year-old DOT;
40% discount for a 5-year-old DOT;
50% discount for a 6-year-old DOT or older.
To benefit from this compensation, you must provide us with photos of the DOT on the tire as well as a photo of the entire tire. Please note that the tire must not have been mounted on the rims to take advantage of the compensation or free return.

https://pmctire.com/news/what-is-the-dot-on-a-tire-and-what-is-pmctirecom-policy-regarding-dots-pid-144

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 01:58:29 pm »
 :popcorn:
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 02:28:59 pm »
It sounds like PCM is just a middle man and doesn't have stock of its own? I ran into this with motorcycle tires and Fortnine. Fortnine sells the tires but they just come from a 3rd party distributor. Fortnine never lays eyes on tires. My date codes were 3 years old and we arrived at a compromise.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:53:44 pm »
Never thought that old would be a thing, but it looks like PMC even has a procedure for it:

For tires with a DOT of less than 3 years: We consider these tires to be still at their optimal performance. The manufacturer guarantees these tires for a period of 6 years from the date of purchase. If a problem occurs, we are here to help you file a claim with the manufacturer. However, in PMCtire's 14-year history, this situation has never happened!

For tires with a DOT older than 3 years: If a tire has escaped our vigilance and you wish to return it, we will cover the return shipping costs. Otherwise, we offer financial compensation based on the age of the DOT:

To benefit from this compensation, you must provide us with photos of the DOT on the tire as well as a photo of the entire tire. Please note that the tire must not have been mounted on the rims to take advantage of the compensation or free return.

https://pmctire.com/news/what-is-the-dot-on-a-tire-and-what-is-pmctirecom-policy-regarding-dots-pid-144

Extrapolating on their sliding scale compensation, they owe the OP 110% discount for 12 year old tires!  :rofl2:

But seriously, I'd want them to replace with a fresh set. YMMV
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 02:55:04 pm »
It would probably be easier and quicker to resolve with a phone call. 

I'm guessing they'll make you happy with a fresh set however it would be interesting to know how they still have stock of 12 year old tires.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 02:59:10 pm »

Extrapolating on their sliding scale compensation, they owe the OP 110% discount for 12 year old tires!  :rofl2:

But seriously, I'd want them to replace with a fresh set. YMMV

I was thinking the same thing. They might agree to full refund and just tell him to keep the tires to save themselves shipping expense. What are they going to do with 12 year old tire???

I wonder (if free) if a 12 year old tire that has never been exposed to elements might be safe to use.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 03:21:46 pm »
Blur, didn't you work for Goodyear?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 03:49:00 pm »
If they refund the purchase price and leave you with the tires I'd install and use.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 04:11:02 pm »
Must've fell off a forklift  :P

If they ignore your calls, find them on the map and leave a google review, with this picture attached.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 04:34:03 pm »
PMCtire has responded. 
Apparently they knew how old they were, but didn't think I'd mind as it's such a good deal.   :P
They offered to let me return them and they'll sell them to someone else who doesn't understand date codes.   Goodyear seems to be fine with this, no age limits.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 04:36:15 pm »
Blur, didn't you work for Goodyear?

Yup, I posted it to my retiree group and we're having a good laugh at it.

I wonder if any automotive journalists would be interested in writing an article....I mean, it makes the news if someone buys a 3 year old tire, how about 12 years old?

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2024, 04:40:47 pm »
PMCtire has responded. 
Apparently they knew how old they were, but didn't think I'd mind as it's such a good deal.   :P
They offered to let me return them and they'll sell them to someone else who doesn't understand date codes.   Goodyear seems to be fine with this, no age limits.

Holly crap. They knowingly did this and are willing to do it again to someone else!  :o

How in the frig do you end up with 12 year old inventory anyways.  ??? Last in first out warehouse?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 04:46:13 pm »
PMCtire has responded. 

Returning on your dime or theirs?

Seems shady nonetheless, however if Goodyear is fine with it....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2024, 04:48:31 pm »
PMCtire has responded. 

Holly crap. They knowingly did this and are willing to do it again to someone else!  :o

"I have just seen your order and it may happen that this product has a less recent DOT because it is in liquidation. "   Kind of an understatement.

Not sure what I want to do, with my employee rebate applied the total cost to me will be under $350 for the set. 
I could resell them to someone who doesn't care about the age for $400?   
Use them but be paranoid about the age? 
Return them and keep shopping?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2024, 05:45:16 pm »
Wow! Would a tire shop knowingly mount tires this old? I ask because a shop I deal with checks dates on all tires that are customer supplied.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2024, 05:47:38 pm »
In 12 years of storage a tire should acquire hockey puck - like quality to its rubber. It may not crack or blow up immediately but will not be safe in stopping, let alone doing so in winter. Send them back.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 05:53:09 pm »
I'd be more concerned about going with a 12 year old design vs something more modern.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 06:00:17 pm »
GoodenoughYear @ PMStire  :rofl2:

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 06:17:03 pm »
Personally I think it is a liability to sell a tire this old. The right thing to do would be to give you a full refund or get you newer tires with fresh DOT codes, take these back and recycle them so that they don't end up getting resold and installed.