Author Topic: Tundra Winters  (Read 3365 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Tundra Winters
« on: September 12, 2023, 10:03:15 pm »
As the title says, I need new winters for the Tundra. I’m likely going with Hakkas, as I get a discount through work at Kal Tire, and I want to try a Nokian winter. The dealer gave me three options. The R5, 10, and LT3. Price difference between the three is close enough that it doesn’t factor into my decision.

I like the tread design of the 10, but it doesn’t come studless and I’m worried I’ll regret the studs. I think the LT3 is out because I don’t need a 10ply LT tire (they ride rough in comparison). So that leaves me with the R5. However, the truck does spend some time chewing through deeper snow so I’m a little hesitant because of the less open tread design. Any further thoughts?  Pics of each are below. To note, LT3 comes with or without studs.

R5:

10:

LT3:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Tundra Winters
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 10:41:16 pm »
I’d probably go with the 10s. Studs are a bit noisier, but probably not as bad as you’re expecting. I’ve driven pickups on Duratracs and BFG KO2s that were way noisier than either of our vehicles on studded Hakkas.

We’ve had two sets of studded LT2s on the Yukon and will probably buy LT3s for it when the time comes (prob a year from now.) Harder rubber on the LT tires, so I don’t think they’ll be as grippy as the 10s. They’re great with studs, but I wouldn’t be as keen to run them studless. They do wear really well, though. And they start out with lots of tread (17/32”, IIRC) so there’s that. Might be the best option for deep snow.

R5 would probably be fine in the snow too.  :-\

I dunno. Find a three-sided coin and flip it?  ???  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 11:11:13 pm »
Big fan of the studded 10's after last winter. Wish I would have got them for the RX too, instead of the X-Ice North 4 (which are ok, to be fair, just not the same)

Loud for the first 1000 km and then got a lot quieter but stayed just as grippy

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 11:12:59 pm »
Thanks for the input Heli, was hoping you’d chime in. Thanks for pointing out the tread depth difference, that’s significant as the 10s are 12/32nds. Likely still won’t go with the LT tire. You do have me leaning towards the 10s though. With my regular commute and trips ice fishing/sledding the studs would likely be appreciated.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 11:16:01 pm »
Big fan of the studded 10's after last winter. Wish I would have got them for the RX too, instead of the X-Ice North 4 (which are ok, to be fair, just not the same)

Loud for the first 1000 km and then got a lot quieter but stayed just as grippy

Thanks for the input PJ, appreciated. Good to hear they quieten down a bit.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 11:49:30 pm »
Saskatoon and area? I don't think I would bother with studs.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 07:51:56 am »
^ Roads are covered here in packed snow and I’ve from November to March. It never leaves. What more appropriate climate is there? 

Now I’m selling myself on studs  :rofl2:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 08:25:17 am »
Prairie people will know best here. I tend to avoid all studdable options as they imply harder rubber. Studs themselves I can't stand - that NOISE - and you're prohibited from entering parkades with these things. Country living / hard packed snow? Then studs. City / suburban driving? studless Ice tires.

Oh and do check load ratings! Ditto with the wheels - learned that lately  ::)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 08:32:05 am »
Load  rating checked :)

What most people from outside of Manitoba and Saskatchewan don’t understand is that the roads don’t typically clear here at all through the winter. Even the highways always have some pack on them, with the tracks being clear. The main freeway I travel in on everyday is a skating rink 90% of the time through winter.

But ya, I appreciate your viewpoint. Still on the fence.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 08:37:09 am »

What most people from outside of Manitoba and Saskatchewan don’t understand is that the roads don’t typically clear here at all through the winter. Even the highways always have some pack on them, with the tracks being clear. The main freeway I travel in on everyday is a skating rink 90% of the time through winter.

Yeah, we get our snow storms, immediately followed by a cold front that plunges temps down to -25C and colder.  Salt doesn't work at those temperatures, and traffic packs down the snow.  End result is road crews just can't get the snow off the road.  it stays there until the temperature warms up closer to spring. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 08:54:36 am »

Yeah, we get our snow storms, immediately followed by a cold front that plunges temps down to -25C and colder.  Salt doesn't work at those temperatures, and traffic packs down the snow.  End result is road crews just can't get the snow off the road.  it stays there until the temperature warms up closer to spring.

Yup, that's stud conditions alright (comment not addressed at forum members  ;D)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2023, 09:19:07 am »
I've got the 10s for the Ridgeline and it was not that bad at all with the studs. Having to do the drive from Edmonton to Brandon during the winter a few times, boy I'm happy to have them when the wind is blowing and you could hold the brier on the highway. I wouldn't buy a winter tire without studs again.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2023, 09:36:09 am »
Yeah, me the same. I'd had the old fashioned type before and wasn't impressed, but these Nokians are a whole different animal

Edmonton has been going to lots of freezing rain in winter, so they have been a godsend in the city, especially on polished intersections and fighting through the Whitemud. You can still slide, but they never completely let go like regular snow tires can at times

They are for people who change their tires late and take them off early, not as tempting to keep them on in shoulder seasons, and they are expensive. And they do sell out. When we looked for a pair for the RX in November they were gone already

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 09:56:09 am »
Yeah, me the same. I'd had the old fashioned type before and wasn't impressed, but these Nokians are a whole different animal

Edmonton has been going to lots of freezing rain in winter, so they have been a godsend in the city, especially on polished intersections and fighting through the Whitemud. You can still slide, but they never completely let go like regular snow tires can at times

They are for people who change their tires late and take them off early, not as tempting to keep them on in shoulder seasons, and they are expensive. And they do sell out. When we looked for a pair for the RX in November they were gone already

Funny, here the studded tires are usually the cheapest options as the rubber compunds aren't as complex as the "ice" tires.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 10:00:34 am »
^ Roads are covered here in packed snow and I’ve from November to March. It never leaves. What more appropriate climate is there? 

Now I’m selling myself on studs  :rofl2:

Typically colder and much much much less humidity (that is why vehicles rust slower). Now in BC where rain/snow/rain conditions are common? Studs for sure. In the dry ass cold prairies a pliable non stud winter has worked ok.  For a heavier vehicle I would look to LTs too. As long as the rubber is pliable then studs are ok. Three things about stud's that are significant downsides: 1) Concrete damage on driveways/garages 2) noise. 3) longevity. Studs become quite dull in 2-3 seasons.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2023, 10:15:20 am »

Funny, here the studded tires are usually the cheapest options as the rubber compunds aren't as complex as the "ice" tires.

Not the Hakka 10's for sure, they are pricey, and don't seem to come on sale. Best I could do was 5% off with CAA

Not in front of me right now, but I believe they have a softer compound. Might be why the stud bases are so large on them, so they can still anchor

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2023, 12:34:47 pm »

Those are the old-school “studdable” tires. Not at all the same thing as modern studded tires.

These are studded at the factory and use modern rubber compounds.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2023, 01:06:13 pm »
Hakka 10s have been put on hold until I need install.  Thanks for the advice everyone.  I still have about a month to change my mind  :P ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 03:51:16 pm by bridgecity »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2023, 02:04:21 pm »
I called Kal Tire this morning and booked an appointment for install on Thursday, and changed my choice from the 10s to the R5 SUV.  Reason; company was over on the weekend and they had studded tires.  They parked on the driveway and left significant scrape marks from the studs.  Obviously this can be avoided by not turning your tires aggressively on the concrete, however I'd rather not worry about it.  I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the R5. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2023, 02:40:17 pm »
Funny, here we just had our first snow. It's been snowing all day and of course the first bit of it melted and froze and got polished on the intersections. My co-worker was just telling me about how a friend of hers had gotten t-boned this morning at an intersection by another driver sliding through a light

Went from bare roads to the worst of winter overnight!