Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Limited  (Read 9107 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: CD Article: 2008 Ford Escape Limited
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 05:48:01 am »
That's a well reasoned response. ::)

I had a 1968 Buick Wildcat that had drums on all four wheels. Aluminum finned drums on the front, steel drums on the rear. Sintered metallic lining all round. They were good for a number of high speed stops before they faded. They were much better than period disc brakes. Moderrn metals and engineering could make them better yet.

Having said that, The front drums were massive and completely filled the rim in order to get enough swept braking area. Discs make sense on the front for this reason alone. They are also not subjected to all of the road crap that gets sprayed on read discs. I don't know how many people I know that have had to have rear discs replaced due to pitting and corrosion, or completely seized up parking brakes, problems that just don't happen with maintained rear drums. The tendency to have extended life brake pads basically turns discs into the wear item also, which makes for some pretty expensive brake jobs.

Don't be a slave to fashion.

That's your opinion and I respect it.  But it's not like the feature was not on the previous Escape,  It was.  They actually went back to drums...sorry but I'm just a car enthusiast that have been driving a lot of cars and nobody will convince me that drums are as good or better than disc brakes.  Plus read the articles.  Brake distances have increased over last year model and it's the same truck.

link? :popo:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 08:55:38 am »
  FWUNT DISHCS AWRE KWOOL MANW. GWEAT FWASHIN STWATEMWENT.................... ::) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

coldcase

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 03:56:26 am »
That's a well reasoned response. ::)

I had a 1968 Buick Wildcat that had drums on all four wheels. Aluminum finned drums on the front, steel drums on the rear. Sintered metallic lining all round. They were good for a number of high speed stops before they faded. They were much better than period disc brakes. Moderrn metals and engineering could make them better yet.

Having said that, The front drums were massive and completely filled the rim in order to get enough swept braking area. Discs make sense on the front for this reason alone. They are also not subjected to all of the road crap that gets sprayed on read discs. I don't know how many people I know that have had to have rear discs replaced due to pitting and corrosion, or completely seized up parking brakes, problems that just don't happen with maintained rear drums. The tendency to have extended life brake pads basically turns discs into the wear item also, which makes for some pretty expensive brake jobs.

Don't be a slave to fashion.

That's your opinion and I respect it.  But it's not like the feature was not on the previous Escape,  It was.  They actually went back to drums...sorry but I'm just a car enthusiast that have been driving a lot of cars and nobody will convince me that drums are as good or better than disc brakes.  Plus read the articles.  Brake distances have increased over last year model and it's the same truck.

link? :popo:

It was a paper publication...don't remember which one but you can find reviews on the web that complain about the brake performance which never was the Escape forte.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2008/review.html