Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Toyota Matrix  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Toyota Matrix
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:32:35 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2007 Toyota Matrix

2007 Toyota MatrixBase w/ 5-speed manual:
Five model years after its inception, the 2007 Toyota Matrix is still a viable, functional automobile, says Assistant Editor, Jil McIntosh, with the perfect footprint for a cargo-friendly wagon.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2007 Toyota Matrix
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:20:31 pm »
This vehicle would be suited best with the 5MT. I was in a Matrix with 4 others, with the 4AT...and wow, I couldn't feel the thing accelerate.  :o Scary.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:50:11 am by 2hondas »

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:35:39 pm »
2hondas,

Could you repost that without all the HTML gobbledygook?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:49:51 am »
Whoa...Definitely didn't see that. Sorry.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:56:19 am »
Jill, if you read these comments, the Matrix will be replaced by a restyled-for-NA Toyota Blade, a larger car powered by the corporate 2.4 litre four.  Internet rumours have Toyota benchmarking the Mazda 3 Sport.

A new Vibe has also been spotted (spy pics of both cars can be found on the net).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:09:27 am »
Handling is exceptional for the price: the Matrix responds quickly to steering input, with feedback that lets you know exactly what the wheels are doing. Despite the higher centre of gravity, it never feels tippy, even on hard curves, and the tight turning radius lets you park it in tight spots on the first swing, without the need to back up and aim again

I guess everything is relative because recently I had the chance to drive a friends Matrix and I found it slow to respond to steering input and tippy.  Not saying it was SUV level tippy but compared to what I'm use to driving.

Otherwise a nice little car. 

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:41 am »
A great runabout with more usable cargo space than many cars that appear twice as large.  The lack of ABS and side airbags in a 2007 model is inexcusable, especially when Pontiac had managed to cram them in.  I'd be taking a look at a Vibe instead for this point alone.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:01:46 am »
It is completely uncompetitive now.  The 2008 Impreza is slightly more money but has side bags, curtain bags, ABS and AWD.  The Mazda 3 offers better value.  A Mazda 5 can be had as well in the same price range.  The Honda Fit is an older design, but the utility of the seating arrangements is far superior to the Matrix and the Honda offers better safety gear too.

Also, having driven the AT version, I will agree that it is somehow the poorest engine/trans match I have driven in a  long time.  The ratios just don't suit the power curve of the engine and it just wheezes its way along.  Time to move on Toyota...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:03:21 am »
I checked out the base Matrix when I was car shopping in 2005, and aside from being a little smaller and having 14" wheels in base SE trim (the SX has 15" alloys...), the Aerio SE came with standard A/C, power windows, power mirrors, side airbags (front seats only, though - still better than none at all...) and a 2.3l engine with 155hp.  Even with the AT option, the Aerio SE was only a little more expensive than the MT Matrix.  Add in 0% financing, the dealer making the first month's payment, a $750.00 graduate rebate, free roof racks, and one free oil change per year for as long as I own the car, and it was easy to ignore the smaller size and smaller wheels.

In some ways today's base SX4 isn't as well equppied as the Aerio SE, but it has standard side (front seat)  and curtain airbags, ABS, power locks and windows, and a 2.0l engine with 143hp for a base price of $15,995.  Again, smaller wheels than the Matrix (15") and slightly smaller size, but it offers a lot for the $$$.  Zack gave it high praise on DT.  Too bad Suzuki Canada does such a crappy job of promoting itself and this car.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:40:37 am by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 11:44:32 pm »
It is completely uncompetitive now...Time to move on Toyota...

:iagree: I am a big fan of the overall design, but Toyota has been complacent with this model and is being left far, far behind by its competition. We test drove both the auto and the manual. The auto was painful to drive, with the manual being better but still betraying the weak powerplant.

Throw in safety features now considered standard by your competition and either give it some more power or keep the power the same but make it much more fuel efficient, and it would still be a viable model, Toyota.

detremental

Soresohjkg viarete
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 12:14:45 am »
medicaments honor nation understood figures fantastic availability exception muster scholarship resource
ambisoltersos makalavertonicos
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:42:07 pm by detremental »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 11:01:55 am »
..Matrix...yesterdays LUNCH at Todays Prices...."Brand " Buyers keep it going.....

I agree Scaerio the Suzuki SX4 gets forgotten....even by me...and i have a copy of the Brochure on my desk as i type......!!!!!.....I chatted  to a salesman 3 months ago and tried to get wifey to go for a TEST drive.....she hummed and hawwed..but the salesman never even did a follow up call???? Now the Mazda 3 seems to hold more appeal......dealer in town,plus previous  pleased Mazda ownership..yup I know U can't get 4 wheel drive..maybe when they intoduce the sauced up RALLYE model to compete with the MazdaSPEED 3....ah perchance to dream.......a BMW 1 Hatch experience at 30% OFF....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 11:52:07 am »
..Matrix...yesterdays LUNCH at Todays Prices...."Brand " Buyers keep it going.....

I agree Scaerio the Suzuki SX4 gets forgotten....even by me...and i have a copy of the Brochure on my desk as i type......!!!!!.....I chatted  to a salesman 3 months ago and tried to get wifey to go for a TEST drive.....she hummed and hawwed..but the salesman never even did a follow up call???? Now the Mazda 3 seems to hold more appeal......dealer in town,plus previous  pleased Mazda ownership..yup I know U can't get 4 wheel drive..maybe when they intoduce the sauced up RALLYE model to compete with the MazdaSPEED 3....ah perchance to dream.......a BMW 1 Hatch experience at 30% OFF....

I can actually understand your posts for once.  ;D :o I would get the Mazda 3 over the SX4 anyday.

avtoller

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 12:07:46 pm »

I can actually understand your posts for once;D :o I would get the Mazda 3 over the SX4 anyday.

Don't worry, Saffy just had a minor slip. I'm sure he'll return to his usual form soon.  ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 02:36:57 pm »
.. :o It's showing..............I must sacrifice a dozen Vegans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cor look at the tubers on that one....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 02:42:38 pm by safristi »