Author Topic: Some People ...  (Read 453793 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Some People ...
« Reply #820 on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:17 am »
W140 S-Class holds 100L.  Some pick ups hold way more than that.
i think the fuel tank in my buddy's F150 is about 150L.

EDIT: just checked Ford's website...136L...i'd hate to fill that.  ;D

Trust me, I much prefer 136l to the 99l tank.  I wonder if it's even still available in Canada...maybe on the 2wd base model.  Had it on the '11, feckin' stupid size tank.  Horrible for towing...oh damn, we have to fill up again.  If only I had that extra 37l I could've made it to the gas station... (one time we just got to a station east of Regina with 20 km left, towing the trailer.  That was a crap shoot. Cussed Ford all day for that stupid 1st Edition EcoBoost faux-pas.  Extra 36l I could've made it past Regina, or at least had breathing room.)

My Tundra is 80L. Talk about undersized.

Yeah, that's not the greatest! My GC has a 93L tank, so full of diesel & I'm looking at ~1100km of all hwy in the summer, winter it's more like ~900km  :o
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 22, 2017, 09:46:39 am »
this one is an upside down one, but the sheer idiocy of the guy makes me think it goes in this thread...

guy was bankrupt... got out of that... then into proposal... slowly getting out of that...

but this guys smart idea is to lower his payments... on a 2016 base sxt van... financed sub prime... with a 41k buyout. because it costs too much on gas. so he wants a 200, or "possibly a 300"... so he's like 23000 upside down, and thinks it a smart plan to do that... you know.... to save a bit on fuel.

lucky for him, no bank seems to want to touch him.

How is that even possible that he got a loan for a 2016 after what is essentially two bankruptcies? I wouldn't lend that guy a dime no matter the interest rate. ???

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #822 on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:18 am »
yeah... higher rate... but surprisingly, not as bad as many i see... i think it was 11.9 or something...

... now, working the math backwards, it does mean if he sees the van loan out, he will have paid something like 65 grand for it including interest... good deal bud.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #823 on: March 22, 2017, 03:49:47 pm »
W140 S-Class holds 100L.  Some pick ups hold way more than that.
i think the fuel tank in my buddy's F150 is about 150L.

EDIT: just checked Ford's website...136L...i'd hate to fill that.  ;D

Trust me, I much prefer 136l to the 99l tank.  I wonder if it's even still available in Canada...maybe on the 2wd base model.  Had it on the '11, feckin' stupid size tank.  Horrible for towing...oh damn, we have to fill up again.  If only I had that extra 37l I could've made it to the gas station... (one time we just got to a station east of Regina with 20 km left, towing the trailer.  That was a crap shoot. Cussed Ford all day for that stupid 1st Edition EcoBoost faux-pas.  Extra 36l I could've made it past Regina, or at least had breathing room.)
yes, some of their models do have the smaller tank, which is 87L...his truck has the "tow package" and he thinks the larger fuel tank is part of that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:53:31 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 22, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »
My wife's Ford F150 has that big tank. It lasts a long time but it sure hurts the wallet filing up from close to empty.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #825 on: March 22, 2017, 04:34:36 pm »
so often i get the customers who don't ask the fuel economy.. they ask how much it costs to fill the tank... then don't ask the follow up of how many kms they should expect from that.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #826 on: March 22, 2017, 04:46:35 pm »
so often i get the customers who don't ask the fuel economy.. they ask how much it costs to fill the tank... then don't ask the follow up of how many kms they should expect from that.

Km per tank is a pretty usually measurement when you are comparing cars

Prius maybe 40 L tank , and I can get 800 Kms
Truck , 92 L tank , I can get maybe 600 Kms

Offline ngorongoro

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 22, 2017, 04:46:57 pm »

God help modern society...
23 Mazda CX-5 Past - 15 Volvo XC60 T6, 16.5 Mazda CX-5, 07 Honda Ridgeline, 13 Police Interceptor, 15 VW Golf, 12 Mazda3, 10 MX-5, 07 4Runner, 08 Mazda3, 10 Suzuki Swift, 08 MX-5, 08 Mini Cooper, 07 Mazda3, 01 Nissan Altima, 98 Pontiac Grand Prix, 84 Mazda RX-7, 93 Eagle Talon, 91 VW Jetta

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 22, 2017, 05:23:16 pm »

Km per tank is a pretty usually measurement when you are comparing cars

Prius maybe 40 L tank , and I can get 800 Kms
Truck , 92 L tank , I can get maybe 600 Kms

well, kms per tank only makes a difference if you know how big it is... same as the dumb question i get about how much to fill it... you need to know both numbers or you have one unknown variable which is highly important!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #829 on: March 22, 2017, 06:47:53 pm »
Because people think "I use a tank a week" or some other measure.  Then if the car they're considering costs $80 to fill, well, then it's $80/week.  Blame the math teachers.  I had to cram calculus down their throats but wasn't allowed to spend time on everyday math.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #830 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:31 pm »
Because people think "I use a tank a week" or some other measure.  Then if the car they're considering costs $80 to fill, well, then it's $80/week.  Blame the math teachers.  I had to cram calculus down their throats but wasn't allowed to spend time on everyday math.

Is it the math teachers that develop the curriculum?  Or the "new" math? 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #831 on: March 22, 2017, 07:21:37 pm »

I wish.  Here it's Alberta Education, and they do hire math consultants, but they frequently have little in-classroom experience and lots of theoretical knowledge.  They also get a LOT of input and pressure from post-secondary institutions.  Which is why we've had a lot of outcomes pushed down from university to high school.  There's pressure from parent groups as well to increase the level of high-level theoretical math taught in high school.

I didn't enjoy teaching the university prep math classes very much.  So much pressure to teach to the standardized test and such stressed students.  I loved teaching every-day math skills in my "healthy and active living" program for special needs kids.  It was awesome.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #832 on: March 22, 2017, 07:28:24 pm »

I wish.  Here it's Alberta Education, and they do hire math consultants, but they frequently have little in-classroom experience and lots of theoretical knowledge.  They also get a LOT of input and pressure from post-secondary institutions.  Which is why we've had a lot of outcomes pushed down from university to high school.  There's pressure from parent groups as well to increase the level of high-level theoretical math taught in high school.

I didn't enjoy teaching the university prep math classes very much.  So much pressure to teach to the standardized test and such stressed students.  I loved teaching every-day math skills in my "healthy and active living" program for special needs kids.  It was awesome.

Seems to me that's what regular HS math should do.....teach math skills suited for everyday living in modern society. It's fine to offer courses for kids on the university BSc or engineering track but other than that..... :-\
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 22, 2017, 08:12:35 pm »

They also want to know the monthly payment, not the number of years....

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #834 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
Seems to me that's what regular HS math should do.....teach math skills suited for everyday living in modern society. It's fine to offer courses for kids on the university BSc or engineering track but other than that..... :-\
that's what they did at my high school...they offered "math for business" or something like that...i took it in Grade 12...no calculus, no trigonometry, etc...if you were going to university and/or into a field that needed it, you'd still have to take the math class that offered it as part of its curriculum...since i knew i'd never use that math, i took the "new" course instead...no point in stressing, struggling and/or failing (i likely wouldn't have failed) a course based on stuff you'll never use...to this day, i've never had to use it.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #835 on: March 23, 2017, 08:05:39 am »
that's what they did at my high school...they offered "math for business" or something like that...i took it in Grade 12...no calculus, no trigonometry, etc...if you were going to university and/or into a field that needed it, you'd still have to take the math class that offered it as part of its curriculum...since i knew i'd never use that math, i took the "new" course instead...no point in stressing, struggling and/or failing (i likely wouldn't have failed) a course based on stuff you'll never use...to this day, i've never had to use it.

I remember that as well.  You took business math if you weren't going to university.  Just wanted to do high school or college.  But it still lacked the everyday stuff in life.  I had some, but not enough. One chapter on how to calculate compound interest.  So you would get the idea.  But not enough on how it applies in the real world.  More emphasis should be made on car loans, mortgages, budgets, rrsp, investing. 

Advanced math that universities want lack all of the everyday stuff.  IMO, if you wanted to take the advanced math, the business math should be a prerequisite.  I remember it being a big jump from grade 10 math. 

Also wish there was a course that helped more with business.  I think there is now.  But starting a your business, stuff like that. 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #836 on: March 23, 2017, 08:33:48 am »
The GTI has a 50 L tank which is a bit on the small side IMO. Even the Mini's tank is a bit bigger.

You know VW is not a trustworthy company.  ;D

In two or three occasions I put 52-54 L in mine, unless Shell gas stations have cheating pumps.

However routinely I put max 50L even if the pump does not click.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:36:08 am by carcrazy »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 23, 2017, 12:35:07 pm »
this one isn't too bad that i am currently working with... but it is the usual type of thing i have to deal with. great people... like them a lot, so i want to make something work... but just reality makes it pretty tough.

but, they bought a new ram about a year ago (feb), loaded up (listed out at around 67k iirc) and they got a great deal. came in yesterday wondering about swapping up a year... figured it might cost them 7-8k... first off, no, just not quite the way it will work. new trucks generally go up in price and that first year is a tough one on depreciation. but also, she just hit 60000km. that truck dropped a heck of a lot more than 7-8k after that kind of use, even if we weren't doing a wholesale/retail comparison.

not the kind of thing that i'm sure many people think of, but it's just not how it works... if instead they did a one year lease on a truck like that, allowing 4500km/month, the payment would be astronomical. closest i can work with my program is a 24 month and just 2500km/month and it would be over 1200... one year, and nearly double the kms would be over 2k a month likely... so that truck should have dropped in value from what they paid by at least 20000.

anyway... who knows, they may still do something, but it is just tough having to go over the realities of depreciation and financial math with middle aged folk who aren't dumb by any means.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #838 on: March 23, 2017, 12:42:48 pm »
The GTI has a 50 L tank which is a bit on the small side IMO. Even the Mini's tank is a bit bigger.

You know VW is not a trustworthy company.  ;D

In two or three occasions I put 52-54 L in mine, unless Shell gas stations have cheating pumps.

However routinely I put max 50L even if the pump does not click.

What does your gas gauge say before you put in 50 L? I think the most I've put in is 46 L, and the gauge is sitting at the bottom of the red and the remaining range has been 0 for a while.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #839 on: March 23, 2017, 12:51:19 pm »
When the dealer ads say:

"No matter your credit history"
"Pay off your trade"
"Get up to $12,000 cash back"