Author Topic: Some People ...  (Read 453839 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: Some People ...
« Reply #2460 on: November 26, 2021, 07:10:23 pm »
At work a few years back I had a contractor try to bill 28 hours in a single day for a single person. I questioned it and they tried to double down by telling me what an effective resource he was.  :rofl2:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2461 on: November 26, 2021, 07:32:12 pm »
And then you though in the mechanics .... I don't believe there is a mechanic out there that is proficient in every single car....hence things could go wrong or take longer.

Thoughts?

What part of the country are you talking about?  Ontario salt cars?  Where most fasteners are fused together similar to what you find with salt water marine engines.  That can add 2 hours to a normally 2 minute bolt removal.

Car repair is getting more and more difficult.  Like most trades the independent mechanics are rapidly thinning out due to government over kill regulation.  Add to that real estate inflation, insurance (being a big deterrent), taxes, hydro, et al are killing the independents.  Brand dealerships are primarily owned by big auto groups so the quality of the service department is mediocre at the very best.  Hence ppl are getting absolutely f*cked on used car repairs.

EVs will solve many difficulties for those that have the means and the place to charge one.  But they don't represent the the working poor which will be most Canadians soon enough.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2462 on: November 26, 2021, 07:38:01 pm »
I was just thinking...most of the better auto mechanics that I know, are no longer auto mechanics.

They mostly found there is better and easier money in other trades and businesses.  It just doesn't pay enough
Mr Pickypants

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2463 on: November 26, 2021, 08:05:09 pm »
And then you though in the mechanics .... I don't believe there is a mechanic out there that is proficient in every single car....hence things could go wrong or take longer.

Thoughts?

What part of the country are you talking about?  Ontario salt cars?  Where most fasteners are fused together similar to what you find with salt water marine engines.  That can add 2 hours to a normally 2 minute bolt removal.

Car repair is getting more and more difficult.  Like most trades the independent mechanics are rapidly thinning out due to government over kill regulation.  Add to that real estate inflation, insurance (being a big deterrent), taxes, hydro, et al are killing the independents.  Brand dealerships are primarily owned by big auto groups so the quality of the service department is mediocre at the very best.  Hence ppl are getting absolutely f*cked on used car repairs.

EVs will solve many difficulties for those that have the means and the place to charge one.  But they don't represent the the working poor which will be most Canadians soon enough.

Fully aware of that, BUT.... you cannot play the "rusty bolts", "Ontario car", "old car", etc... card(s) with a straight face without distinction and where not applicable....

Sorry, but if you tell me that, for example, taking out few 8mm x 22 mm bolts, holding a plastic piece (low torque value), under the hood and at the top of the engine (very accessible), could ever present any significant risk of seizure that would warrant the shop to estimate the job at 2hrs, I would take it with a grain of sault.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:12:43 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2464 on: November 26, 2021, 08:08:32 pm »
I was just thinking...most of the better auto mechanics that I know, are no longer auto mechanics.

They mostly found there is better and easier money in other trades and businesses.  It just doesn't pay enough

Yup.  My honey went the union route and now works for a public transit commission.  Job security, benefits, and gets paid regardless of the amount of work available.  Which is how it should be, IMO.  I have slack days at work, but I also have insane days.  Why should my pay fluctuate when I don’t have control over the incoming demand?   I’m not in sales. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2465 on: November 27, 2021, 07:26:36 am »

Yup.  My honey went the union route and now works for a public transit commission.  Job security, benefits, and gets paid regardless of the amount of work available.  Which is how it should be, IMO.  I have slack days at work, but I also have insane days.  Why should my pay fluctuate when I don’t have control over the incoming demand?   I’m not in sales.
A friend start to at a public transit commission, one of the first things we was told was to slow down , he was working to fast  ;D
Over $42 a hour plus benefits, he is happy he finally got in