Author Topic: Test Drive: 2018 Chevrolet Equinox 2.0T AWD Premier  (Read 5759 times)

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Chevrolet Equinox 2.0T AWD Premier
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 02:14:03 pm »
We looked at one and the Mineral Pearl green with light white cashmere-esque interior really could be confused for a Lexus at first sight and feel.
...so you admit that Lexus is a benchmark for "sight and feel"?

The GM gods are going to smite you hard for that blasphemy.

No, actually quoting a Chevrolet commercial where the female says thr unbadge Malibu reminds her of Lexus.  :)

A lady a work traded her 2012 Equinox 2.4l for a 2018 Equinox Premier  1.5T.  Says the car does more than she needs it too and loves the luxury and power.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 02:18:28 pm »
We looked at one and the Mineral Pearl green with light white cashmere-esque interior really could be confused for a Lexus at first sight and feel.
...so you admit that Lexus is a benchmark for "sight and feel"?

The GM gods are going to smite you hard for that blasphemy.

No, actually quoting a Chevrolet commercial where the female says thr unbadge Malibu reminds her of Lexus.  :)

A lady a work traded her 2012 Equinox 2.4l for a 2018 Equinox Premier  1.5T.  Says the car does more than she needs it too and loves the luxury and power.

https://youtu.be/xTfS0nAgfuE

This is what I think of someone thinking its a lexus.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 02:28:39 pm »
https://youtu.be/xTfS0nAgfuE

This is what I think of someone thinking its a lexus.
i don't think anyone in here would pretend it's actually a Lexus...it's just a significant improvement over the previous models, and is now very competitive in it's class (which couldn't really be said before).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
so how does this compare to CRV(true benchmark) or new tiguan?  nobody's asking the important questions here!!!

i watched edmunds video on this and the equinox was significantly more expensive, and when i checked gm website, it WAS expensive. 

i figured they were back to playin the "sky high MSRP, massive incentive on the hood" game again.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 06:53:58 pm »
so how does this compare to CRV(true benchmark) or new tiguan?  nobody's asking the important questions here!!!

i watched edmunds video on this and the equinox was significantly more expensive, and when i checked gm website, it WAS expensive. 

i figured they were back to playin the "sky high MSRP, massive incentive on the hood" game again.

really?  when I compare the CRV-V EX or EX-L to the Equinox Premier AWD 1LZ, the price is pretty close.  When you don't click any options on the Equinox, you miss out on a sunroof.  But thats the name of the game, its all in how they package things. 

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 08:32:57 pm »

really?  when I compare the CRV-V EX or EX-L to the Equinox Premier AWD 1LZ, the price is pretty close.  When you don't click any options on the Equinox, you miss out on a sunroof.  But thats the name of the game, its all in how they package things.

On cars dot com a 2018 Equinox AWD vs CR-V EX-L.and the Honda is $5,000 more.  We still get the base CR-V L and it is US $2,000 more than a 2018 Equinox 1.5T.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 07:42:56 am »

having recently shopped these vehicles, i can confirm the Equinox is competitively priced in the market...the key is packaging...in my parents case, because they didn't care about AWD or a sunroof, the Equinox was about $3000 cheaper than the CRV Touring and had more of the features they wanted (features not available in the top trim CRV).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 07:53:04 am »
There a lot running around here, I think the New GMC looks a lot better

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 08:32:46 am »

having recently shopped these vehicles, i can confirm the Equinox is competitively priced in the market...the key is packaging...in my parents case, because they didn't care about AWD or a sunroof, the Equinox was about $3000 cheaper than the CRV Touring and had more of the features they wanted (features not available in the top trim CRV).
Who ever buys a cuv without Awd and sunroof will regret it in the long run because nobody will buy it used
Second thing you say the gm had features the Honda didn't have what?
The Honda has the better engine and transmition and will be more realible and have better reasale ....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 08:39:42 am »

Who ever buys a cuv without Awd and sunroof will regret it in the long run because nobody will buy it used
The Honda has the better engine and transmition and will be more realible and have better reasale ....

So what the heck are you doing with a Mazda3 and not a Civic? 

There are tons of vehicles without sunroofs, they sell fine.  AWD is more of an important issue with an SUV, but if his parents are hanging on to it, resale value is less of an issue.  It's your opinion that Honda engine is better. 

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 08:45:55 am »

So what the heck are you doing with a Mazda3 and not a Civic? 

There are tons of vehicles without sunroofs, they sell fine.  AWD is more of an important issue with an SUV, but if his parents are hanging on to it, resale value is less of an issue.  It's your opinion that Honda engine is better.
Pathetic answer from you saying I have a Mazda what does this have to do with this discution!
As for the resale you say they will keep it for long time hopefully they will become very good friends with the dealer for reparations!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 09:07:15 am »
on the CUV we bought a year ago, we got AWD...we drive a fair amount and need to get to work, so AWD was a feature we wanted...my parents, on the other hand, drive about 8000 kms a year, and if the roads are that bad, they'll just stay home for the day...they've never had AWD and have never been stuck or needed it so they were fine with getting another FWD vehicle...it will also likely be the last vehicle they purchase and will have it for 10-15 years, so resale value isn't much of a concern.

lots...360 degree camera, audible parking sensors, height adjustable passenger seat, as well as a few nice things they liked...an aluminum hood, so it is very light and easy to lift...the transmission shifter is labelled better to know what gear you are in easily (the Honda, for some odd reason, has permanent red markings at R and L (?) and doesn't change when you shift from park, so you need to either count in your head how many notches you are going down, or check the small central display in the dash to know what gear you have shifted into...the Chevy is like a normal car, as you move the shifter, the gear you have moved into is indicated in red...the display in the Chevy is also crisper and brighter (likely a newer screen from the supplier).

as i said, resale is a non-issue...Honda engines and transmissions are usually pretty good too, but most big brands are pretty good that way now...the Chevy felt a little peppier (maybe because of its increased torque numbers)...neither is "fast".

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:17 am »

I compared 2017 CR-V and Equinox base models with AWD and the Equinox was less exoenisve.  Looked at 2014's coming off lease and the the Equinox was actually more used with similar miles.  This all based on cars dot com.  Honda and media support are really blowing smoke up your buttocks.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:38 am »
As for the resale you say they will keep it for long time hopefully they will become very good friends with the dealer for reparations!
the GM dealer was very friendly and great to deal with (as was the Honda)...some of the other dealerships weren't nearly as good...they've had a GM before and had no issues with it...there are plenty of people at work with GM products and they are fine as well...everything nowadays is pretty good...the differences between the brands is nowhere near as big as it was 20-30 years ago.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 09:58:08 am »
the GM dealer was very friendly and great to deal with (as was the Honda)...some of the other dealerships weren't nearly as good...they've had a GM before and had no issues with it...there are plenty of people at work with GM products and they are fine as well...everything nowadays is pretty good...the differences between the brands is nowhere near as big as it was 20-30 years ago.

With reference to your last sentence, you don't seem to be aware of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep terrible reputation for unreliability.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 04:50:26 pm »

With reference to your last sentence, you don't seem to be aware of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep terrible reputation for unreliability.
i know they typically own the bottom of the reports, but i'd guess they're better than they were 30 years ago...and to be fair, i know of a few people here at work that have JGC that have been pretty much trouble free for several years.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 03:08:59 pm »
Base unit in AWD is priced low and @ 1.5%/60 with very adequate features.  Hard to beat.  The top trims would be a dumb purchase though.  Kind of a GM thing.  :)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 02:18:48 pm »
Base unit in AWD is priced low and @ 1.5%/60 with very adequate features.  Hard to beat.  The top trims would be a dumb purchase though.  Kind of a GM thing.  :)

Indeed.  The depreciation on these in the used market is going to be brutal.  Probably best to lease.
i don't think you want to lease something with huge depreciation...your payments are going to be relatively high to account for the lack of residual...if you're going to lease, lease something with strong resale values to keep your payments to a minimum.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 03:26:39 pm »

Indeed.  The depreciation on these in the used market is going to be brutal.  Probably best to lease.
i don't think you want to lease something with huge depreciation...your payments are going to be relatively high to account for the lack of residual...if you're going to lease, lease something with strong resale values to keep your payments to a minimum.

Edmunds has the Equinox residual 1-3% less than a Honda CR-V.  But interest rate is lower on Equinox 12/36 lease with lower money factor,  $5,000 lower transaction price based on cars.com, $1,000 lease, and approximately  $1,000-2,000 lease loyalty cash.  All around the Equinox is much less than the CR-V.

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/45748/chevrolet/equinox/2018-chevrolet-equinox-lease-deals-and-prices/p10