Author Topic: Tires on Kijiji and Marketplace  (Read 2027 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Tires on Kijiji and Marketplace
« on: December 20, 2023, 10:33:26 am »
I've been trying to buy a set of used tires for the Subaru, noticed one front was getting down, put it on the back, but want better tires.

So I've been looking on Kijiji and marketplace, so far, Kijiji person hasn't responded about a set of Dunlops, but I've gone to see a few sets off marketplace and got people to take pictures of the date codes when they were too far.
Be very wary, the latest one is advertised as "New tires, round and perfect", forgot to mention that they are 14 years old!     At least the previous guy didn't actually know his tires were in their teens and said he was taking them to the dump when he found out, this guy doubled down.

Couple of days ago saw a set of "practically new, used one year" tires.  Two were at the wear bars and they were 7 years old, guy relisted them $100 cheaper when I left.

There is crap out there, be very wary.
Mr Pickypants

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Tires on Kijiji and Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 10:42:35 am »
Ya, a person has to be careful. Most people have no idea about date codes and often tires are advertised as near new when they are 10 years old, but have lots of tread.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 11:02:30 am »
Kijiji/Marketplace is always buyer beware, no matter what you are looking for. Both platforms full of clueless buyers and sellers. However, its still a good place for scooping up bargains if you care to weed through the garbage. Also a good way to de-clutter.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 11:19:19 am »
Remember selling tires on Kijiji, not a real fun time either

2 studded tires, good shape $50.00

-can't pay you now, how about in 6 months when I get my truck running?
-can you deliver? (far side of the city)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 11:37:53 am »

LOL

Sold a motocycle on kijiji.  a DRZ400.

- I can't pay now,  Can i give you $200.00 now and take it and ill give you  $200 a month until it's paid...

- How about no. :rofl2:

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 11:43:47 am »
Lol at people offering monthly payments...  :rofl2: MAYBE (stressing the maybe) acceptable for close family or friends, but then it wouldn't be on Kijiji in the first place. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 11:58:23 am »

LOL

- I can't pay now,  Can i give you $200.00 now and take it and ill give you  $200 a month until it's paid...

Yeah this is very common. Also never sell bikes from your residence as potential buyers look, case the place and Boom! everything stolen a few days later..  It has happened more than once.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 12:05:18 pm »

LOL

Yeah this is very common. Also never sell bikes from your residence as potential buyers look, case the place and Boom! everything stolen a few days later..  It has happened more than once.

KIjiji now have a user reviews which helps a bit.  If someone if using their full name on the app with an account over 10 years old and a fair amount of review it helps.   I recently bought a treadmill based on that.    people selling used cars usually their account had bad reviews (business), same on market place but i use that one rarely.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 03:35:33 pm »
Whenever I have sold tires on the classifieds I always posted the DOT code and tread depth. Helps to sell them and gives buyer confidence in what they are buying. But I think a lot of consumers simply are not informed.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 02:02:15 pm »

Someone is trying to sell this   :shake:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 02:08:41 pm »
playground tire lol

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 02:45:18 pm »
Whadya mean?  There's some sipes left. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 02:53:47 pm »
Its usually the same crowd on Kijiji that I deal with, the "I pay cash, today, here is an offer of 15-20% of your asking price" types, that are just insufferable. I was looking at a set of tires and rims for the Jeep. These jackwagons had listed the rims as off a JK and that the tires had almost 90% tread. Get there and no, the rims are off of a TJ and they took a picture of the unused spare, the other tires were ready for tire swing duty. Luckily he was only a few minutes out of the way home, he got all offended when he thought I was calling him a liar, I made sure he got the point that I was calling him a liar. He swore at me in whatever language and called his son outside, his 12 year old son. I laughed, got in my car and drove away. I hate kijiji, facebook marketplace and all of that.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2023, 05:31:48 pm »
I haven’t sold a bunch on kijiji, but haven’t had any bad experiences so far. Guess I’m just lucky. I also price stuff to sell, as I usually just want to get rid of it. Think I only bought stuff once. That was used rims for the Yukon, and that went painlessly as well.

It’s nice living an hour outside the city though. Had more than one person call and say they’re on their way to come get whatever I’m selling, then when they get here they try to negotiate the price.

Uh, you just spent an hour of your time to get here, and fifteen bucks in gas. The price is the price. You’re really going to turn around now and drive home empty handed?  :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2023, 06:45:53 pm »
I haven’t sold a bunch on kijiji, but haven’t had any bad experiences so far. Guess I’m just lucky. I also price stuff to sell, as I usually just want to get rid of it. Think I only bought stuff once. That was used rims for the Yukon, and that went painlessly as well.

It’s nice living an hour outside the city though. Had more than one person call and say they’re on their way to come get whatever I’m selling, then when they get here they try to negotiate the price.

Uh, you just spent an hour of your time to get here, and fifteen bucks in gas. The price is the price. You’re really going to turn around now and drive home empty handed?  :rofl2:

Yeah I think your location minimizes the idiots.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 07:50:58 pm »

I always expect a reasonable amount of barter, like if you're asking $300, I'll offer $250, and expect the same if selling.   Don't care too much either way if they say take it or leave it, I almost always take it if it's as I expected it to be.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2023, 08:30:24 pm »
I sold 12 year old summer Kumho tires last year for $80 (asking $125), full disclosure in the ad. They had almost new tread, no cracks, but just old. Some used car dealer guy came by and bought 'em after a few days of posting.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2023, 08:33:12 pm »
Oh, remember once I drove to Calgary to buy a dirt bike. Kijiji ad said $6,300 obo, so I went to the bank and got $6,000 cash.

Bike was great, guy seemed ok, so I offered him the $6k. He had a fit! “I’m sick of low ballers! This thing is worth $7k! The accessories alone are worth $2k! It’s $6,300, firm! No way I’m letting it go for $6k! You may as well just turn around and go home!”

What the hell?  ??? Since when does obo mean firm? Or does $6,300 obo mean I was supposed to offer $6,295?   :rofl2:

Anyway, guy calmed down and we worked it out. Apparently the original ad was $7,000 obo, then he dropped the price but forgot to remove the obo. I went to the bank again and got another $300.  ::)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 08:28:20 pm »
Frak it, ordered this.  I also have a GT retiree coupon that should give me a $200 rebate.   No brainer. 

Goodyear - Eagle Ultra Grip GW-2 - 225/60R16 97V BCS

SHIPPING Nationex or Fedex - Ground (Estimated date /Date estimée :$ 0.00 Dec 28, 2023)
HST (13%) $ 61.16
DISCOUNT $ 52.27
TOTAL PAID $ 531.61

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 08:31:22 pm »
Nice!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...