Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Saturn Astra, 2008-2009  (Read 14249 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Saturn Astra, 2008-2009
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:06:05 am »

In terms of reliability, 'there aren't too many serious issues to look out for in the Astra,' says Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Saturn Astra, 2008-2009
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:51:26 am »
This is a slick package and something I took a really close look at when a desperate GM was dumping them for cash.

For a few weeks you could get one for under $10k.  Simply a killer deal if the shoe had fit.  It didn't - just slightly too little space (Echo has more) and the fuel efficiency was mediocre to say the least.

Also, at the time it was far from certain there would be any parts or warranty in the future.

But a very nice car which should have sold decently if economic hiccups had not disrupted things.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:03 am »
I was pretty high on these as a used car buy at first. You can get fairly low mileage 08s for less than 10 K easily and they have ea pretty good feature content for the $. I test drove a 3 dr XR and fond the interior to be "unusual' but comfortable and decent for the price. Handling and ride on the sportier XR was quite good but I crossed this car in in shape or form off my list. Why? The ridiculous gearing. The car is by no means quick in fact even in a 5 speed it felt sorry SLOW. But to get it to feel even SLOW they have geared it way too low. I'd hate to see how slow it would feel with proper gears.

At 100kph it was up over 3000 rpm. Its not a nice high reving Honda hum either. Its a booming drone and 120 at 3500 rom or so to me would be unbearable. They majorly blew it with this car's powertrain. Especially since they had so many choices as to what to put in there.

If my car never left the city limits I might consider it but these things are not for me .

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:35 am »
I test drove a 4 door when new, went well

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/6287367577/

Offline JPS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Macan S; Mercedes C250; BMW X5; Ford Fusion
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:04:32 am »
I bought a new Astra XR coupe automatic in late 2009 for my daughter. It is a great little car with features usually found on more expensive cars. Handles well, and has sufficient power. I also find the 2 door much more attractive looking than the 4 door. Drives well on the highway, easily maintaining speed with no significant wind, engine or road noise.
The only issue I have had is the generally poor service by GM dealers. The 160 000km power train warranty is a sham. The car has been exhibiting shift-flare when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. The dealers that I have visited refuse to repair this under warranty, and tell me that this is something we should just live with. GM's hotline for Saturn owners is also unable to resolve the issue. Other than this, I would say that it is a good car, let down by a poor dealer network.
Please note that if your XR has the optional 18inch wheels, that these tires are high-performance summer tires. You will still need a set of winter tires, as the car is undrivable in winter with these tires. Our salesperson insisted that these were all-season tires!

Dansnap

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:10 am »
I purchased a 2008 XR model with very low mileage early in 2009. So far I haven't came across any issues with this car. It's powerful enough for urban driving, and gets decent enough mileage proving you don't drive the snot out of it. The best economy reading I managed to achieve with this car was 7.1L/100km on a 600km round trip.

However I am not normally concerned with fuel ecnonomy numbers while driving :rofl2: and for the last 10,000kms I put on the car I achieved an average of 8.7L/100km (70% city/30% highway). This is on an automatic equipped 3dr model.

It has excellent highway manners, extremely stable and quiet on highway speeds (easy to go over the limit with this car when not paying attention/not using cruise control). The engine doesn't drone, and the standard lighting is excellent at night. The Astra also holds a ton of supplies once you drop the rear seats and actually take advantage of the hatchback design.

Overall compared to my previous car (2005 CTS) this is a very competent, well equipped vehicle. Considering I normally hate small cars, I really can't complain about this car. Everything just fits together as it should providing you take the time to learn the car and figure out its little euro quirks.

On a side note: The brakes don't squeal, I do not have issues with brake dust. Plus that 'faulty" fuel cap issue is not really a problem. The only time that shows up with this car is when the owner (or gas station attendant) is too lazy to close the gas cap with a full turn.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:42:30 am »
I purchased a 2008 XR model with very low mileage early in 2009. So far I haven't came across any issues with this car. It's powerful enough for urban driving, and gets decent enough mileage proving you don't drive the snot out of it. The best economy reading I managed to achieve with this car was 7.1L/100km on a 600km round trip.

However I am not normally concerned with fuel ecnonomy numbers while driving :rofl2: and for the last 10,000kms I put on the car I achieved an average of 8.7L/100km (70% city/30% highway). This is on an automatic equipped 3dr model.

It has excellent highway manners, extremely stable and quiet on highway speeds (easy to go over the limit with this car when not paying attention/not using cruise control). The engine doesn't drone, and the standard lighting is excellent at night. The Astra also holds a ton of supplies once you drop the rear seats and actually take advantage of the hatchback design.

Overall compared to my previous car (2005 CTS) this is a very competent, well equipped vehicle. Considering I normally hate small cars, I really can't complain about this car. Everything just fits together as it should providing you take the time to learn the car and figure out its little euro quirks.

On a side note: The brakes don't squeal, I do not have issues with brake dust. Plus that 'faulty" fuel cap issue is not really a problem. The only time that shows up with this car is when the owner (or gas station attendant) is too lazy to close the gas cap with a full turn.

So what does the Auto rev on the highway?

Not to pick on the ca(I think there are many positive things and you obviously like it) but 8.7 l per 100km isn't very impressive for a 140 hp 1.8 l 4cyl econo car. I tracked my 200 HP GTI for over 18000 KM with the same mix of driving and got 8.8l per 100. Had they put a better engine transmission combo in this car it would have been really pretty darn good.

Dansnap

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:03:15 am »

Not to pick on the ca(I think there are many positive things and you obviously like it) but 8.7 l per 100km isn't very impressive for a 140 hp 1.8 l 4cyl econo car. I tracked my 200 HP GTI for over 18000 KM with the same mix of driving and got 8.8l per 100. Had they put a better engine transmission combo in this car it would have been really pretty darn good.

Revs around 2450RPM at 105km/h. That 8.7l/100km is mostly due to me being bored with the 1.8L 138HP engine and accelerating "briskly". Most people who wouldn't be bored with such a commuter car would obviously get far better mileage. When the car is equipped with the advanced audio package you get multiple trip computers to track long term/short term and instant fuel economy ratings. In the last 5 months I've been tracking the mileage on my daily commute to work and when driving it normally I get 7.9L/100kms (about 2000km roughly of city driving). This car would benefit greatly with a 6-speed.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 12:00:11 pm »

Revs around 2450RPM at 105km/h. That 8.7l/100km is mostly due to me being bored with the 1.8L 138HP engine and accelerating "briskly". Most people who wouldn't be bored with such a commuter car would obviously get far better mileage. When the car is equipped with the advanced audio package you get multiple trip computers to track long term/short term and instant fuel economy ratings. In the last 5 months I've been tracking the mileage on my daily commute to work and when driving it normally I get 7.9L/100kms (about 2000km roughly of city driving). This car would benefit greatly with a 6-speed.

Wow that's a big difference in gearing between Auto and manual.

Dansnap

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:15:47 pm »
Wow that's a big difference in gearing between Auto and manual.

Might just be due to the lay of the land around here. Most of the highways I travel are flat with occasional curve and small hill... zzz

Offline JPS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Macan S; Mercedes C250; BMW X5; Ford Fusion
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 04:28:20 pm »
Fuel economy is reasonable, not great like some Japanese imports. What you get though is a great handler with peppy performance and excellent safety features like ABS, traction and stability control and 4 wheel disc brakes. Not to mention 6 airbags. Similar to a GTI but not as quick.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 10:06:31 pm »
I'm a fan of Chris Chase's used car reports but he left out one obvious source of research material for this
Belgian built automobile. A Google search for Vauxhall Astra or Opel Astra reliability will undoubtedly lead to the the realization that these cars are utterly mediocre . Simply slapping a Saturn badge on the hood will not enhance their dubious pedigree.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 07:49:50 pm »
I was alongside a 2-door model yesterday and I was reminded of the Hyundai Veloster.

Is the 1.8 in these the same engine Chevy uses for the Cruze LS?
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 09:08:39 pm »
I was alongside a 2-door model yesterday and I was reminded of the Hyundai Veloster.

Yes according to Chris's article.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:07:54 pm »

Yes according to Chris's article.

Yup. Ecotec Family I: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_1_engine#DCVCP
I used to work here.