Author Topic: Housing  (Read 932657 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Housing
« Reply #900 on: February 12, 2017, 07:58:45 am »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #901 on: February 12, 2017, 03:41:36 pm »
Britain with its own housing problem.
Railton
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/worldpolitics/britain-wakes-up-to-the-end-of-home-ownership/
Not surprising.
Really cumbersome planning and zoning.
They don't build condos
They insist on slow expensive brick construction and then complain that the houses are difficult to insulate.
The buying and selling attracts very high transaction fees (stamp duty )
NIMBYs...thousands of like cockroaches
Getting a mortgage is compared to here relatvely difficult mainly because of the prices of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #902 on: February 12, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
Railton
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/worldpolitics/britain-wakes-up-to-the-end-of-home-ownership/
Not surprising.
They don't build condos
They insist on slow expensive brick construction and then complain that the houses are difficult to insulate.
Getting a mortgage is compared to here relatvely difficult mainly because of the prices of course.

I've always understood that you can ammortize your mortgage for up to 100 years in Britain.  Is that correct? 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #903 on: February 12, 2017, 05:44:58 pm »
They build condos now , 3000 are going up now
This is from a friends place in London

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #904 on: February 13, 2017, 01:32:30 pm »
Railton
Not surprising.
They don't build condos

This makes a hell of a lot more sense after you explained it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/targeted-vandals-bright-yellow-car-blamed-ruining-viewin-cotswold/
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #905 on: February 13, 2017, 02:03:31 pm »
^ Good for him buying a lime green car... I suppose the vandals prefer he "drive" around in a horse and buggy to match the aesthetics of the neighborhood.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 13, 2017, 04:27:13 pm »
   There is a great market in the UK for prefabbed Canadian wood frame houses with concrete basements I would have thought. There are companies here in NB that do this pre-fab construction...quick to assemble on site and warm in the winter and better quality control. Needs a selling job.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 13, 2017, 04:36:52 pm »
   There is a great market in the UK for prefabbed Canadian wood frame houses with concrete basements I would have thought. There are companies here in NB that do this pre-fab construction...quick to assemble on site and warm in the winter and better quality control. Needs a selling job.
There companies everywhere that does that

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 13, 2017, 04:44:35 pm »

Rupert. The selling job needs to start with  the local councils and also with the mortgage providers...and thirdly I think with the builders.

Basements would cost more and require the councils to insist that sewers are deeper... nobody is going to have pumped toilets and remember they still build houses on flood plains just to make basements more expensive. Nothing that can't be done and is done here all the time but it would be new there.

Wood framed houses as in North America.   Mortgages companies probably don't know how to value them and fire insurance companies don't know how to insure them.  AND find a builder, especially the big sub division builders who know how to build them!   AND  find people who will buy them.

I think that part of the problem is that people in Europe in general have been building houses out of mud ( aka bricks and concrete) and stone  for thousands of years  but the first Europeans to come to NA brought few masons and few quarrymen with them and of course there was/is and enormous amount of cheap wood that had to be cut down anyway to clear the land for farms.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #909 on: February 13, 2017, 04:46:19 pm »
^ Good for him buying a lime green car... I suppose the vandals prefer he "drive" around in a horse and buggy to match the aesthetics of the neighborhood.

The vandals probably drive an old hatchback with a fart can. Perfect for blending in with the old architecture....

I think you'll find the vandals here are more the 60yr old NIMBY types...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 13, 2017, 04:48:38 pm »

The vandals probably drive an old hatchback with a fart can. Perfect for blending in with the old architecture....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://youtu.be/uel1vfAQ52M

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 13, 2017, 05:19:32 pm »
   You know it does not have to be wood framed at all, at this point. Frames can be roll formed steel...just as easy to assemble. I imagine drywall is the same anywhere also roofing plywood. I think shingles are a thing of the past and formed steel sheeting roof and aluminum siding (or vinyl). Should meet a reasonable code I would have thought. Built-up wooden floor beams for silence and ok a crawl space.

Assembly is a piece of cake old boy for a 'City and Guilds' man with basic tools. We need trade with other than below and they need trade with anybody...maybe even Vladimir might be interested.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #912 on: February 13, 2017, 07:01:35 pm »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://youtu.be/uel1vfAQ52M

Exactly!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 14, 2017, 09:23:17 am »
   It seems that roll formed steel joist and stud houses are made by many companies on examination. Funny I have never seen one or been in one to my knowledge. Maybe you can't tell the difference.

The east coast is a great area for industry and people to expand into to spread the population out. It just needs power...and there is lots there just waiting to be routed across the river. Major ports and plenty of farm land for summer produce and livestock. Bit of snow.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:40:06 am by Rupert »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 15, 2017, 11:15:13 am »
Railton
Not surprising.
They don't build condos

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/targeted-vandals-bright-yellow-car-blamed-ruining-viewin-cotswold/

He should get a lime green F150.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: February 15, 2017, 11:18:15 am »
Railton
Not surprising.
They don't build condos

If we started to get the hemp sandal/tye dye crowd moving into our neighborhood, I would own the dirtiest, most obnoxious diesel dually that I could get my hands on  ;D If I was him, I would double down, get a convertible something in the same color and park it in the town square.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 15, 2017, 07:03:18 pm »

Railton
Not surprising.
They don't build condos

If we started to get the hemp sandal/tye dye crowd moving into our neighborhood, I would own the dirtiest, most obnoxious diesel dually that I could get my hands on  ;D If I was him, I would double down, get a convertible something in the same color and park it in the town square.

You and I could get along.

Only if it's a Sierra or F150.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 16, 2017, 01:17:00 pm »
$440,000 in our area , 100 KM east of the GTA
http://realtyservices.ca/1276ontario/

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #918 on: February 16, 2017, 01:40:37 pm »
$440,000 in our area , 100 KM east of the GTA
http://realtyservices.ca/1276ontario/
The lot looks pretty big. What are the dimensions?
Railton

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 16, 2017, 02:19:37 pm »
That looks like a 1.25 times version of our house  but on a lot at least twice as big.