Author Topic: 8-Vehicle 3-Row SUV Comparison - Mazda CX-90 v. (nearly) Everyone  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: 8-Vehicle 3-Row SUV Comparison - Mazda CX-90 v. (nearly) Everyone
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2023, 08:26:51 am »
I don' find that for the top tier as follows:

The Savage and Jack are hands down so far ahead of the pack.  I love their vehicle under body commentary.  They move through their commentary quickly.  Next is the Sports Driving TV guy; another American and the Canadian Straight Pipes.

Gotta admit I like what I've seen from this guy, and he tackles real roads and goes off-road, even with a Crosstrek. Sarah-n-Tuned is kinda fun to watch, and she tackles mechanical and body stuff too. But a lot of people are producing filler stuff and endless blabber. I watched just about everything that came out of the earlier CX-90 reveal, and Motormouth was just about the best at covering the feature set of the vehicle - worse were the two guys someone posted the link to and that just kept joking around. But watching videos is way more time consuming than reading articles.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2023, 08:37:59 am »
Answering the Subaru AWD question is complex because they have 4 systems as of 2017.  The STi's system is not germane to this slip and grip thread.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a10261193/how-subaru-awd-works/

One cannot assume that 99.9% of all buyers of these tubs are morons and can't ascertain the driving feel between the Hyundai, CX-90, MDX.  The number is at least 99.8%.  :)

Here is the lastest Savage on the Telluride vis-a-vis the CX-90 and the Pilot.  He comments that Pallisade and Telluride are technically identical.  He and Jack never want to drive them again.

"Amazing interior.  Good mini van alternative, but drives worse than a Sienna".

However, "no existing driving dynamics.  Lifeless engine.  Poor mpg.  Cumbersome.  Hates driving it"

Yet it's number one in this shoot out.

... and yet Telluride is a repeat 10-Best winner with C/D. That's why you have to read / view many reviews before making up your mind. I don't typically watch reviews, I prefer reading them (is there an acronym for Too Long To View Did Not Watch ?  ;D). Savage Geese has slick productions but I dearly hope they don't only drive on these deserted rural roads they film on. I found the Telluride's engine responsive, and the dynamics reasonnable for what it is - it's a 3-row family car with a 5,000 lbs tow rating, after all, not a BRZ. Minivans like the refered Sienna indeed drive pretty well because they have less unsuspended mass down there and a lower center of gravity.
….and by MT, CR, so many others that is tough to list but obviously SG is right [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2023, 11:56:55 am »

The Savage and Jack are hands down so far ahead of the pack.  I love their vehicle under body commentary.  They move through their commentary quickly.  Next is the Sports Driving TV guy; another American and the Canadian Straight Pipes.

Savage Geese have such a strong technical understanding that for those who want a really deep dive into that stuff, they're a great resource. Their on-camera presence requires the viewer to have a bit of coffee first to stay awake, but it's worth hanging in there.

Steve, your observation that this test doesn't dive deep into the tech details as much as you'd like is a fair point -- but I think most readers / viewers will glaze over and tune out with that much tech, and really, as others have said, any of these systems will do what 99% of consumers want/ need (which is to say give them peace of mind, if not any actual, practical application).

My involvement with this test was somewhat limited, though I did benefit from getting to drive all of them back-to-back. 

I had preferred the Pilot as my top choice, but the Ascent also rated much higher too.  It's simply so easy to live with and represents a great value.   
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2023, 11:57:27 am »
Mazda did enable the touchscreen in the CX-90 for Apple Carplay and Android Auto while moving.  I believe this is a first for Mazda.  You still need to use the rotary dial for other functions, although I spend most of my time in CarPlay for navigation, music and other Apple apps.

The CX-50 has the same system.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2023, 12:08:46 pm »

Savage Geese have such a strong technical understanding that for those who want a really deep dive into that stuff, they're a great resource. Their on-camera presence requires the viewer to have a bit of coffee first to stay awake, but it's worth hanging in there.

Steve, your observation that this test doesn't dive deep into the tech details as much as you'd like is a fair point -- but I think most readers / viewers will glaze over and tune out with that much tech, and really, as others have said, any of these systems will do what 99% of consumers want/ need (which is to say give them peace of mind, if not any actual, practical application).

My involvement with this test was somewhat limited, though I did benefit from getting to drive all of them back-to-back. 

I had preferred the Pilot as my top choice, but the Ascent also rated much higher too.  It's simply so easy to live with and represents a great value.

:cheers: Fully agree here. Subarus are so easy to live with on a daily basis.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2023, 12:12:20 pm »
Until you hear the buzz of the CVT that is.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2023, 12:14:51 pm »
Until you hear the buzz of the CVT that is.

Oh the CVT itself is quiet - but it makes the engine noisy  ;D With the Ascent, it's really when it's cold. Once warmed up Subies get quieter, but nowhere as silent as the Kyundais with the 2.0/CVT combo.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2023, 12:17:12 pm »
Yeah, that seems to be how it works. On the Crosstrek you do hear some engine racket when accelerating, but just loafing along the engine/CVT combo is almost eerily quiet

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2023, 12:20:40 pm »

Agreed.  Also don't like the snark schtick that the lean into quite heavily, or the fratboy humour.  But overall very good.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2023, 12:32:41 pm »
So, I'll drop this here, because it's as good a place as any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWviCsf6afQ

I think THIS video demonstrates the Mazda's transmission system - that is the lack of a torque converter, with the electric motor taking up the low-speed, get-the-car-moving duties before the clutches in the transmission take over and start transmitting engine power to the wheels.  The Mazda seems to have quite a weak launch compared to the MB and the BMW, but then doesn't lose any more ground once it's behind - I think the engine is just as powerful as the Krauts, it's the launch that really kills it.

This is borne out in the roll race, which removes the Electric motor launch completely - the CX-90 is neck and neck with the two Germans. 

Also, in the race against the Palisade, the Palisade has as good of a launch (if not better) as the Mazda, before the Mazda's greater horsepower takes over and it leaves the Palisade behind. 

Zero journalists are talking about this system, though.  It's a completely different way of getting a vehicle moving, for better or for worse - quite revolutionary I think.  I'm hoping Savage Geese brings it up, due to their technical nature.  Again, not sold on if it's a good thing or not - for some people, that immediate launch is a big selling feature for having a 340hp drivetrain. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 12:37:59 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2023, 04:47:03 pm »
If we were to buy today, it would probably be between the Pilot and the CX-90. Did a quick check of prices though and  :o. Glad we bought when we did.

Top trim Pilot (Black Edition) is just shy of $65K MSRP. When we bought our MDX a couple years ago, MSRP was $67K and we got a couple thousand off. Current MSRP of MDX platinum elite is $73K :fall:

No wonder we keep getting messages from the dealer to buy back our MDX at 110% of market value. New price is way higher and probably have longer wait times.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2023, 04:49:45 pm »
So, I'll drop this here, because it's as good a place as any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWviCsf6afQ

I think THIS video demonstrates the Mazda's transmission system - that is the lack of a torque converter, with the electric motor taking up the low-speed, get-the-car-moving duties before the clutches in the transmission take over and start transmitting engine power to the wheels.  The Mazda seems to have quite a weak launch compared to the MB and the BMW, but then doesn't lose any more ground once it's behind - I think the engine is just as powerful as the Krauts, it's the launch that really kills it.

This is borne out in the roll race, which removes the Electric motor launch completely - the CX-90 is neck and neck with the two Germans. 

Also, in the race against the Palisade, the Palisade has as good of a launch (if not better) as the Mazda, before the Mazda's greater horsepower takes over and it leaves the Palisade behind. 

Zero journalists are talking about this system, though.  It's a completely different way of getting a vehicle moving, for better or for worse - quite revolutionary I think.  I'm hoping Savage Geese brings it up, due to their technical nature.  Again, not sold on if it's a good thing or not - for some people, that immediate launch is a big selling feature for having a 340hp drivetrain.

Mistake. Average Jane/Joe drive the torque..