Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 429973 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:26 pm »
On the seats or the passengers?

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2017, 09:01:55 pm »
I may have a tank bag you can have as I think I'm going to get saddle bags.

Sweet, thanks, let me know.

FWIW, I've seen more disasters with bungies on pillions than I care to remember.

Ok guys, you heard Ron, no bungee cording the pillion.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2017, 10:54:22 pm »
FWIW, I've seen more disasters with bungies on pillions than I care to remember.

I've used the bungee type cargo net.  Better than just having a bungee cord
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/26441/i/drag-specialties-cargo-net

Mr Pickypants

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2017, 05:32:04 am »
^It's gonna be epic!! Will have to meet up with you when you take delivery from Wing  ;D

Meet up!!

Ah yes those are good.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:33:53 am by DKaz »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2017, 03:46:01 pm »

that's what i used back in the day too...they do work good...of course, bags are best (or top case, whatever)...but those bungee nets are pretty cheap and practically universal, so if you just need the occasional cargo tie down, they're tough to beat.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2017, 09:57:06 pm »
I use a tailbag.......but that's for my day trips.

New gloves came in, perfect opportunity to break them in!  :banana:

Did a half-day, 311km round-trip to explore some new roads. Leftover sand on the NC side of things made me ride a bit cautiously (traction control anyone? A bit squirrely. ). Fun stop at the state line. (Fun fact, my bike's seen 4 US states)

Driving/riding in TN is an unwelcome reminder of my Virginia days. No income tax and low fuel taxes mean revenue speed control out the wazoo. Roads are maintained by municipalities, not the state, so signage is sparse and speed maximums are LOW. Perfect example: at the state line pictured above, the NC side is the de facto 90km/h; the TN side drops to 60km/h with no change in road design. At least the chevrons for the corners are a good indicator for when one can really open up the throttle...... :lick:

Of course, because I self-regulate my own maximums, it's mostly irrelevant. Even when I was puttering my usual 50 in the city centre, the town sheriff had to tail me for a few kms.  :banghead:

Clip, no edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O22O5Dwd1b4
Apologise for the inopportune shifts; was my first and only time on the road. Recognise the universal "checkpoint ahead" gesture from the other rider at 6m45s? Merci beaucoup ! Their police are still rolling around in Crown Vics.....hmm short on funding anyone?

After some gelato in the warm 25° heat of the valley, was happy to head back to NC. You can see the A26 as it climbs to Sams Gap. Of course, on the bike I took the local, curvy way up. 9% gradient. Didn't overheat the transmission.

On my way back, rolled past 15k ! Was on the autoroute, but took the next exit to snap the occasion. Celebrations and fireworks !

Lot of bikes out today, mostly cruisers. But in Johnson City, due to its university and younger population, saw a handful of sport bikes.  :hello:. All in all, lot of fun on two wheels today.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:00:22 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2017, 05:49:10 pm »
She sat since last October, but started right up on the third kick today!

Getting ready to head down to the States for some spring riding.  Pretty excited, as I installed a higher-compression head last fall, but never got a chance to try it. Should wake the bike up substantially, from what I've heard.

You can feel the extra compression through the kickstarter, and even at idle she sounds ballsier. I was tempted to go for a burn down the alley, but decided I'd be a good neighbour on this sunny Sunday afternoon. :)

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2017, 06:36:09 pm »
I use a tailbag.......but that's for my day trips.

Driving/riding in TN is an unwelcome reminder of my Virginia days. No income tax and low fuel taxes mean revenue speed control out the wazoo. Roads are maintained by municipalities, not the state, so signage is sparse and speed maximums are LOW. Perfect example: at the state line pictured above, the NC side is the de facto 90km/h; the TN side drops to 60km/h with no change in road design. At least the chevrons for the corners are a good indicator for when one can really open up the throttle...... :lick:

On my way back, rolled past 15k ! Was on the autoroute, but took the next exit to snap the occasion. Celebrations and fireworks !

Good option, I'm going to find out exactly what I need to bring along then decide, and it may not be very much in the end.

I think states are only permitted to charge either income or sales tax. The same for the federal government, so they have an income tax instead of a sales tax. But I do see the correlation -- WA state has a sales tax (no income tax) and have LOTS of speed enforcement, while Oregon to the south with an income tax (no sales tax) seems to have less speed enforcement. But oddly, the speed limits in Oregon also tend to be lower.

Congrats on 15k, here's to many more!  :cheers:

She sat since last October, but started right up on the third kick today!

Sweet! I am curious about that plate on the front. I assume it can't be driven on public roadways without turn signals and tail lights.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2017, 06:42:17 pm »
^^ Yeah, it's not street legal at all. Even if I added turn signals and a tail light, it's still registered as off-road only.

Basically all OHVs (Off Highway Vehicles) in Alberta need to be registered and insured if you want to ride on public land. So you get a license plate, even though it's off-road only.

I think BC has gone to a similar system in the past few years?

And thanks for the reminder about the tail light. You actually need a headlight and tail light to be legal off-road here, but they're pretty flexible about it. I use a little LED bicycle light stuck to the rear fender, but it must have fallen off last year. Usually I get at least a season out of one - just stuck another on now.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:58:00 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2017, 07:17:34 pm »
Good option, I'm going to find out exactly what I need to bring along then decide, and it may not be very much in the end.

I think states are only permitted to charge either income or sales tax. The same for the federal government, so they have an income tax instead of a sales tax. But I do see the correlation -- WA state has a sales tax (no income tax) and have LOTS of speed enforcement, while Oregon to the south with an income tax (no sales tax) seems to have less speed enforcement. But oddly, the speed limits in Oregon also tend to be lower.

Congrats on 15k, here's to many more!  :cheers:

Thanks! I'm quite happy with my bike......don't have an urge to acquire another one or upsize on the power/size anytime soon. I am eagerly awaiting my trackdays......first one I'll do is in May. After riding a couple days in Italy  ;)

The US states can do whatever they want with income and sales tax; 36 have both. But having lived/travelled a fair amount, there is no free lunch. I have relatives in Oregon, who say they'd rather have a sales tax because their property tax kills them. And you can't fill up your own petrol.  :nono: I like NC because although the plethora of taxes are high, services are good, roads are well-maintained, and speed enforcement/limits are totally reasonable. State parks are free, the state runs a state zoo, and highway patrol is more concerned about trucks illegally using the left lane and/or speeding than cars/bikes.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 27, 2017, 03:12:30 pm »
Man, July can't come soon enough. I'm seriously so excited about this trip. 110 days left before we leave for Montreal.

Thanks! I'm quite happy with my bike......don't have an urge to acquire another one or upsize on the power/size anytime soon. I am eagerly awaiting my trackdays......first one I'll do is in May. After riding a couple days in Italy  ;)

The US states can do whatever they want with income and sales tax; 36 have both.

Ah I thought it was one or the other.

That's awesome you're happy with your R3. I figured I would've got more longevity from an R3 if I had to go brand new except Yamaha's finance rate is crap compared to Honda's 0.9%. But I went the used route 1. Wing was able to accommodate my family vacation plan and still offer me this wicked deal which I'm thankful for, 2. After dealing with this whole mortgage application crap, I have very little desire to apply for a motorcycle loan.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:44 pm »
LOL at all the construction in Albert / BC border then 1 in Sask then nothing.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2017, 03:51:13 pm »
Lol yep, well there are two traffic incidents (not uncommon on the two lane winding mountain sections), one construction zone in Calgary for the completion of their ring road, and  two sections are under construction as part of BC's 40 year plan to four lane the entire stretch of Hwy 1 from Kamloops to the Alberta border, except for parts within Parks Canada's jurisdiction. It's not a cheap project -- Kicking Horse Canyon section has cost $382 million dollars for a 17.8 km section so far and the final 4 km pictured below is going to cost a whopping $450 million.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2017, 03:54:51 pm »
The best part of your ride is going to be the last few hundred KM.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 27, 2017, 04:19:23 pm »
Hopefully I'm not too exhausted from all that riding to enjoy it.  ;D

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2017, 05:26:15 pm »
Man I'm jealous. No motorcycle license yet, but I'm planning a cross-country trip late August - early Sept. will probably do it by train though. Debated taking the fit, but I'm planning to go by myself and it seems excessive.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2017, 04:02:16 pm »
I took the train from Vancouver to Edmonton once, nice experience but man is that a long ride.

I found some luggage options...

Shad H0CR11ST, $75 from Fort Nine. Only fits SHAD cases but I have no issue with SHAD cases, they come with options like extra brake lights.

Givi HR3 rack and SB137 side bag mounts (one of the only two side bag options I've seen), never available retail in North America so it's rare, and takes about 2-3 months to ship, I think it only fits Givi top cases. $331.
http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/parts-accessories/6233-mounting-rack-givi-e21-e22.html

Honda OE rack from Thailand, also rare but only $105. Universal compatibility.

Hepco & Becker C-Bow side bag mounts. Kinda pricey (costs more than the Givi solution above) and limited to soft bags.
http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-C-Bow-Carrier-for-Honda-CBR300R-CB300F_p_5207.html

Last but not least, Ventura racks. Also starts exceeding $300 but it's versatile.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2017, 04:05:18 pm »
i've always liked the rear racks, but have been disappointed at the weight limits they usually come with (often around 10 pounds)...maybe 10 pounds is more than i'd ever use, but just sounds so wimpy.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2017, 04:26:28 pm »
I wonder if that includes the weight of the top case itself or not? I'm sure there's a big safety factor in there and people can carry 20-25 lbs without issue, but it's a CYA for the manufacturers if something does go wrong.

10lb is a couple of helmets plus a few bottles of water.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2017, 04:48:08 pm »
I have $398 US in parts to order from Partzilla in operation make my Vino 125 nice to ride for the next few months before I sell it. Basically all brand new painted body panels, new mirrors, something I can be proud to ride before I put it on the market in June. I also need a new speedometer cable because the one I have broke after only 5,000km, might as well order a second one just in case, a dozen screws, right brake lever, etc.

Ugh, just made the order. The exchange rate, it hurts. Still cheaper than Canada.

It's really too bad my wife is only letting me keep one bike.