Author Topic: Did you buy a used car recently?  (Read 58561 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Did you buy a used car recently?
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:41:44 am »
If so you should call the manufacturer.

I know it sounds odd -- I have never done it.  But you may have available recalls or warranty etc available that you may or may not know about.

The APA has a list of phone numbers to call for the manufacturers here:
http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253

I just called Nissan Canada for my Titan, they took all my information and then forwarded me to Nissan North America where they took the info again (very efficiently I might add) they then told me I had a recall and to take it to any dealer to have this done free of charge.

I was also able to confirm my powertrain warranty in Canada.  Of course now I'm sure I'll get flyers every few months from Nissan but it is good to know if anything comes up I will be informed.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Did you buy a used car recently?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:02:54 am »
For a used car that was originally sold here when new surely one can just go into any dealership and have them enter the new owners details. Or, should one be so lucky as to have the original owners handbook,fill in and post the form in the back...every car I have had in NA has had an owners transfer/change of address form with it.

I suppose for the 75% of people who never open the owners manual.... ;D
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:08 pm »
The dealership cannot do this -- the dealership has their own records that are not tied to the manufacturers.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:17:24 pm »
For sure Canadian BMW dealers can get  the ownership that is registered with BMW by entering the VIN.   Maybe they can't change it. tho'

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:27:10 pm »
When I bought my used Honda, I filled out a form and sent to Honda as the new owner and hopefully get updates on any recalls.  Also to get transfered to what's left of the extended warranty.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:08:06 pm »
The dealership cannot do this -- the dealership has their own records that are not tied to the manufacturers.

When I bought my Pathfinder, the local dealer updated the records for me, told me no outstanding recalls and said only 1 warranty claim had been made (water pump).  Easy Peasy to do   :D

And yes, you will get stuff from Nissan, forever   ;)
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:40:32 pm »
My dealer registered the SRX with GM Canada the first time I had it in for service and a warranty repair.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:49:49 pm »
For each used car we bought, we called their head offices in Canada and registered our vehicle with them.  :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:22 pm »

And yes, you will get stuff from Nissan, forever   ;)

I have a Nissan:  sweatshirt, snowbrush, thermos, first aid kit, sunshade, ice scraper,  tire pressure gauge,...  :)

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 06:08:37 pm »
Of course the dealership can do this. How the heck do you think they find out what recalls need to be done and what warranty is left of the car/truck. They can also tell what warranty repairs were done at another dealer.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 06:11:30 pm »

With a BMW key, the dealership can get the vin # and mileage on the car , and then the complete history

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 10:19:40 pm »

My Jeep came from out of province, and the local dealer knew which recalls have been done and which ones were outstanding.   

Honda Owner

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 12:07:37 am »

This is incorrect. All manufacturers, by law, must keep a database of all vehicles and records if outstanding recalls have been done. They also must make every effort that the recalls get done. When the dealer performs the recall, the warranty claim enters the complete recall in the corporate database. These records must go back 20 years. The same data base will also show who was the original purchaser, selling dealer and all warranty claims performed. However, this report is the property to the manufacturer and is not to be given to the customer. It will also show the complete run sheet of the vehicle, including options.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03:00 am »
But they cannot change the owner of the vehicle on the records from the Manufacturer, yes they can find out recalls, but you are not going to get a letter in the mail from Nissan Canada or whom ever if you bought a used vehicle.

I've bought many used vehicles, never bothered to register them with the manufacturer and never received anything (despite visiting a dealer for repair / etc).  If you call the manufacturer they will have you on record as the owner for future problems that could come up.

P.M.O.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:59 pm »
Dealers are tied to GM main frame for Warantee and history

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:00 pm »
Honda wants nothing to do with my S600  :rofl2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 01:49:57 pm »
But they cannot change the owner of the vehicle on the records from the Manufacturer, yes they can find out recalls, but you are not going to get a letter in the mail from Nissan Canada or whom ever if you bought a used vehicle.

I've bought many used vehicles, never bothered to register them with the manufacturer and never received anything (despite visiting a dealer for repair / etc).  If you call the manufacturer they will have you on record as the owner for future problems that could come up.
Every car I have bought has a reply paid card in the owners manual for the next owner to send in so that they will get recall notices.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 03:45:27 pm »
Dealers are tied to GM main frame for Warantee and history

True Wing, still a good thread though, I recommend all my customers go to the franchise store service dept and have them registered as the owner for recall info.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 12:11:47 pm »
even though i'm months late on this one...

dealerships can do it. but not the service or sales guys. you need the company administrator to go in and do it. or at least that's what we've always done. they get a copy of the new ownership and send all the info in. bam. you are now the owner on record at the manufacturer level.

the recall stuff is nothing. i can look up anybody's recalls and where and what warranty work has been done though our service department. all you need is vin#, current kms and owners name... (technically, i can make up anything but the vin and still get the info, but it makes the info not all 100% accurate [amount of warranty left, etc.])
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:03 pm »
Bought a 2003 Expedition a couple months ago as my "new " tow vehicle.  I haven't checked but seriously doubt it has any warranty left on it.