Author Topic: E92 M3  (Read 6276 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
E92 M3
« on: December 04, 2020, 04:09:16 pm »
Figuring that it's the last proper, sporting Euro V8-with-stickshift, those e90/92 BMW M3s have got to be poised for a massive upward trajectory in value in the coming years, right?  Potential for investment aside, how terrible an idea would it be to pick up a well-maintained M3? 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: E92 M3
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 04:51:00 pm »
Figuring that it's the last proper, sporting Euro V8-with-stickshift, those e90/92 BMW M3s have got to be poised for a massive upward trajectory in value in the coming years, right?  Potential for investment aside, how terrible an idea would it be to pick up a well-maintained M3?

Terrible as an investment, they made a lot. Great car though.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:09:51 pm »
You WILL be doing rod bearings at some point during long term ownership, so budget for that.

If you buy a car that hasn't had them done yet...get them done and budget accordingly.

And spend the extra $$ and get bearings that are WPC treated.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:37:25 pm »
You WILL be doing rod bearings at some point during long term ownership, so budget for that.

If you buy a car that hasn't had them done yet...get them done and budget accordingly.

A friend is making a coffee table out of a block from one of them, it has a big hole in the side that is kind or irregular  :P

Get an E46 M3
Mr Pickypants

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:22 pm »

A friend is making a coffee table out of a block from one of them, it has a big hole in the side that is kind or irregular  :P

Get an E46 M3

Nah, the E46 M3 has been sort of ruined for me now with there being so many horribly modded ones around. 

Z3 or Z4 M is also floating around in my mind...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 09:31:18 pm »

Get an E46 M3

Nah, the E46 M3 has been sort of ruined for me now with there being so many horribly modded ones around. 

Who was talking about getting a clown shoe last year?
Are they crazy money already?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 10:07:15 pm »

A friend is making a coffee table out of a block from one of them, it has a big hole in the side that is kind or irregular  [emoji14]

Get an E46 M3

I was looking at Z4Ms last year. Did the research, made some calls.

You'll likely be exploring rod bearings at some point with a Z4M too. Spoke to one of the ultimate authorities and they said 60-75k you'll want to do the rod bearing if it hasn't been done. You'll want to do UOA with every oil change looking for high lead and copper.

So I've thought lots about whether I wanted to deal with IMS issues or rod bearing issues! LOL

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 02:46:40 pm »

A friend is making a coffee table out of a block from one of them, it has a big hole in the side that is kind or irregular  [emoji14]

Get an E46 M3

You'll likely be exploring rod bearings at some point with a Z4M too. Spoke to one of the ultimate authorities and they said 60-75k you'll want to do the rod bearing if it hasn't been done. You'll want to do UOA with every oil change looking for high lead and copper.

So I've thought lots about whether I wanted to deal with IMS issues or rod bearing issues! LOL

I hear ya...

Last night I spent much too much time looking through various classifieds.  Seemed to come full circle to 996s with the expectation of whatever it is, it'll need a few grand of love, even if it seems perfect.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 04:52:23 pm »

Get an E46 M3

I hear ya...

Last night I spent much too much time looking through various classifieds.  Seemed to come full circle to 996s with the expectation of whatever it is, it'll need a few grand of love, even if it seems perfect.
Look for a 99! They have the dual row bearing

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 11:50:12 am »

Get an E46 M3

I hear ya...

Sure!  Wanna spot me the extra $25k?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 02:52:12 pm »

They made a lot of E46s too, and they've appreciated nicely. And stick shift E9xs are on the rarer side.

Some of them have already started going up in price, so I think you've already missed the bottom of the market for clean ones.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »

They made a lot of E46s too, and they've appreciated nicely. And stick shift E9xs are on the rarer side.

Some of them have already started going up in price, so I think you've already missed the bottom of the market for clean ones.

I do believe the price will go up but it will take time. Anything with a manual and a V8 will be worth something in 20 years.

The downside is that you have to treat your car like a work of art. Not what I'm into.

I dunno. High mileage M3s still go for good money on BaT if they're well taken care of.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 03:29:47 pm »

Get an E46 M3

I hear ya...

What?

The 1999s (996) came with a dual row bearing vs. the more problematic single row in later 996s.

A 1999 doesn't cost $25k more than other 996s.

Unless I misunderstood your post?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 03:31:28 pm by rrocket »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 03:53:49 pm »

Get an E46 M3

I hear ya...

What?

The 1999s (996) came with a dual row bearing vs. the more problematic single row in later 996s.

He probably though you were referring to 991 not the year 99

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 04:17:14 pm »

I do believe the price will go up but it will take time. Anything with a manual and a V8 will be worth something in 20 years.

The downside is that you have to treat your car like a work of art. Not what I'm into.

I dunno. High mileage M3s still go for good money on BaT if they're well taken care of.

Good counterpoint. I suppose I would FEEL that way. IE I'd be worried about driving it if I was keeping it as an "investment."

Still don't think its a great investment. Though a different way to look at cars like this would be "least depreciating" or "least to loose money on".

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 04:54:53 pm »

Get an E46 M3

I hear ya...

What?

Oh!!  He probably mistook my exclamation point (!) for a one (1).  Probably looked like a 1 on a cell phone screen.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 04:59:44 pm »

Good counterpoint. I suppose I would FEEL that way. IE I'd be worried about driving it if I was keeping it as an "investment."

Still don't think its a great investment. Though a different way to look at cars like this would be "least depreciating" or "least to loose money on".

There are a few cars where you'll break even after a few years...and if you're lucky make a few bucks.  Those are the ones to try and buy.

I've been fortunate with my last several purchases (Audi TT excluded).

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 10:48:38 am »

Get an E46 M3

I hear ya...

What?

Oh!!  He probably mistook my exclamation point (!) for a one (1).  Probably looked like a 1 on a cell phone screen.

Yup!  That's exactly what happened!

Honestly that one you brought up from Atlanta would've been spot-on.  Too bad we haven't timed out our ownership experiences appropriately.  ;) 

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 10:52:00 am »

Right, exactly.  That's a more appropriate way to look at it.  I've been very fortunate the last few years that the 'toys' I've bought I've either been able to sell off for what I've paid or with only losing a couple hundred bucks, rather than thousands and thousands in depreciation. 

If the E9X M3s even slightly resemble the trajectory of air cooled 911s, it's a sure win, even if you do drive the hell out of 'em!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 11:19:46 am »

There are a few cars where you'll break even after a few years...and if you're lucky make a few bucks.  Those are the ones to try and buy.

I've been fortunate with my last several purchases (Audi TT excluded).

I just read an article about cars to collect now that might appreciate in value soon, Audi TT was on the list  :rofl: