Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313980 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #8540 on: February 25, 2018, 12:17:59 pm »

belonging in the happy thread, I might have found a temporary and then a permanent job in Ottawa working at the Canadian War Museum. Fantastic.  ;D

on the very, very sad and angry front, I might be heading for a divorce [sorry if TMI, but you [we?] all are a great community of friends here so I thought I would share]. Been together for 15 years. Any advice to get the marriage back on track?  :brkhrt:

That's a great place for you based on your studies!

Like others have said, go to see a counselor together, it's the best way to see if anything is salvageable. Might take some time to just get used to being with each other again, you've been away for a while. Best it luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8541 on: February 25, 2018, 03:30:58 pm »
When I was working on drilling rigs back in 2008 I did a winter up north.  Usually winter is busy season for the rigs since the roads are frozen and it's easier to move equipment(mostly tundra up there).  You try to get as much done before break up(spring melting time).  2 shifts crew working 12hrs shifts(day and night) each from 7 to 7. Shift change happens on the rigs and then you drive to dry camp which is usually another 45min to an hour one way. so more like 13-14 hour shifts+.  One winter I did 40 days straight all night shifts.  Literally did see the sun for those 40 days.  Took 4-5 days off and then went back for 35days straight all night again.  some of those night are -50 with wind chill easy.  One night we had something like -65 with 30km/h+ wind.  At the point you're just running around all shift making sure stuff doesn't freeze. lol

At that time my wife was in college, GF back then, and we were young so it wasn't too bad.  Then I bought my first house and quit the rigs.

I’m up there now. But mostly I just sit in camp and drink coffee all day. :)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8542 on: February 25, 2018, 03:47:37 pm »
thx for the advice guys, working on it
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8543 on: February 25, 2018, 04:08:32 pm »
Yeah, it's hard to give "universal keep your marriage alive" advice because each situation is unique.  We're celebrating our 35th this year, so I'm often asked about the secret to success, but I'm not sure there is one.  Some things I think have contributed:

1. Similar ideological stances and values.
2. Willingness to compromise on things that the partner finds more important than you.
3. Willingness to understand what is more important to your partner.
4. Understanding that each person has their own life as well as one that's intertwined.

In many ways the missus and I are very different people.  She's not a risk seeker and sees the world very differently than I do in that regard.  But she enjoys the culture of adventure that bleeds into our life from it.

I agree that counseling is probably the best first step, as it might bring light to the fundamental issue(s) that are causing the breakdown and then hopefully solutions can be found.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8544 on: February 25, 2018, 06:38:39 pm »
Best of luck Chaosphere.

Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: February 25, 2018, 07:01:30 pm »

Nice! What do you do

They have a medevac helicopter up here in case someone gets hurt, in which case I’d fly them to Fort Mac. But hopefully I just sit here and drink coffee.  ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8546 on: February 25, 2018, 10:49:00 pm »
Sucks that the flying is only when something is really wrong, but I understand that the pay is good.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: February 25, 2018, 11:18:36 pm »
^^ it’s not all bad. While they’ve got me up here, they’re going to do a wildlife survey. We’ll spend a day or two flying around looking for caribou. Should be a nice break from sitting around camp.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: February 25, 2018, 11:19:19 pm »
^^ it’s not all bad. While they’ve got me up here, they’re going to do a wildlife survey. We’ll spend a day or two flying around looking for caribou. Should be a nice break from sitting around camp.
What are you flying?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:06 pm »
^^ Just an Astar. You can pull half the passenger seats and install a stretcher. Patient lies on the floor and the medic sits beside him in the back.

It takes maybe 5 minutes to pull the stretcher & put the seats back in for regular flying.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8550 on: February 25, 2018, 11:39:53 pm »
^^ Just an Astar. You can pull half the passenger seats and install a stretcher. Patient lies on the floor and the medic sits beside him in the back.

It takes maybe 5 minutes to pull the stretcher & put the seats back in for regular flying.
I'm not entirely familiar with all copters.

Is that a Eurocopter?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: February 26, 2018, 12:05:38 am »

Sweet.

I've never ridden in the AS350, supposed to be a nice unit.  I've only been in 407s and 212s.  I think the Astar is about the same size as the 407, no?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8552 on: February 26, 2018, 10:13:22 am »
I might be heading for a divorce [sorry if TMI, but you [we?] all are a great community of friends here so I thought I would share]. Been together for 15 years. Any advice to get the marriage back on track?  :brkhrt:
First, that's never happy news and you have my complete support - no adverse opinions on car commentary for the next little while!  :)

Hard to give advice not knowing the context.
I agree to a degree - share only what you feel comfortable, but a little context will certainly help us give advice.  In Ron's previous case of ploughing a personal trainer, the focus would have been based on Ron's feelings (whether he can accept that or whether it's an immediate termination of the relationship).  In a case of a couple running out of steam, usually there's some sort of complaint that leads to the deterioration (whether it's an issue of intimacy, bad habits, etc).

I've been married for <2 years (together for 9 years total though).  I do not pretend to be an expert here, but my wife has so much to offer, which came at the price of her having high expectations/demands of me earlier on in our relationship.  We were on the verge of breaking up what seemed like monthly (it might actually have been) in our first 2-3 years together, but since then I've taken her criticisms constructively, made myself a better person, and we're so much stronger for it.

It's not necessarily that you've done something wrong, nor that she has...but sometimes people change their wants/needs and expect their counterpart to just simply "keep up" (oftentimes without notice).

My opinion may be unpopular, but I am 100% AGAINST formal counselling.  While much of what I do is mediation with a neutral third party at work, I find that the thought of "needing" counselling often forms resentment for the process.  Ultimately, that may limit the potential for success.

My recommendation is to have an open, level (NON-HEATED) discussion where you two work together to find the root of the problem.  If it's something that can be fixed, even if it takes a long time and a lot of work, absolutely you have a duty to each other to try that route before calling it quits.  The important thing is to be cognizant of emotional intelligence - this is not about blame; rather, it's an attempt to repair.  Avoid using the word "but", try to focus on the positives, and accept that you have some responsibility in everything.  Show a willingness to work together and change gradually over time.  Don't proclaim, "I CAN CHANGE!", but accept that there are subtleties than can be effected to produce the outcome desired.

For example, my wife originally was the type to say, "it's fine".  Clearly, she didn't mean "it's fine"; rather, she meant "I don't like this and I expect you to know that!"  It took years for me to pick up on her clues, but in those years, I blamed her for not communicating with me effectively.  She was doing the best she knew how to, and over time she opened up to me and now probably tells me things too bluntly :P, and I can look at her face and know when she's happy/unhappy.

If we called it quits, my life would be different.  Easier, perhaps...but not as rewarding.  You're 15 years in - you know what each other are like, you know the pros/cons of each other.  But you're not the same kids you were when you started dating, and life changes can have effects on the way we interact with our significant others.

I wish you the best of luck and offer my continued support throughout.  Let me know (PM or otherwise) if you have any questions/thoughts/etc.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #8553 on: February 26, 2018, 10:24:09 am »
Here's hoping for the best outcome possible Chaos.  I spent some time this weekend with a buddy who's in a similar situation (marriage failing after 15yrs).  All I can offer is that if you're both in it to make it work, get some counselling and make it your main focus. 

Along the same lines, got some terrible news yesterday from close friends/family.  Two very close cousins spouses were caught cheating with each other.  The worst part of it is that the corresponding male/female counterparts were also best friends.  My wife and I are very close to both couples are shocked by the news.  The one cousin suspected something was up (but didn't suspect it was his best friend) and caught the cheaters with a hidden camera.  Fack me.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8554 on: February 26, 2018, 10:44:45 am »
Along the same lines, got some terrible news yesterday from close friends/family.  Two very close cousins spouses were caught cheating with each other.  The worst part of it is that the corresponding male/female counterparts were also best friends.  My wife and I are very close to both couples are shocked by the news.  The one cousin suspected something was up (but didn't suspect it was his best friend) and caught the cheaters with a hidden camera.  Fack me.

So the cousins were banging?  ???

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: February 26, 2018, 10:48:44 am »

So the cousins were banging?  ???

Ha ha, no.  Sorry for my poor explanation.  The cousins spouses were banging.  One cousin is a male, the other female.  The female cousin was best friends with the male cousins wife, and the male cousin was best friends with the female cousins hubby. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8556 on: February 26, 2018, 10:53:20 am »
Ah, ok. That makes more sense. Pretty :censor: up though.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: February 26, 2018, 10:57:29 am »
Ah, ok. That makes more sense. Pretty :censor: up though.

Once he had the video, the male cousin got the cheating spouses together and hit play on the video without any warning of what he knew.  I would have loved to see their faces.  Pretty :censor: up is right.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8558 on: February 26, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »
Being lucky enough to buy a fun cruiser like a Maxima and then nine months later getting diagnosed with post traumatic arthritis in both hips and likely elsewhere.  >:(
What is post traumatic arthritis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8559 on: February 26, 2018, 05:44:29 pm »
Being lucky enough to buy a fun cruiser like a Maxima and then nine months later getting diagnosed with post traumatic arthritis in both hips and likely elsewhere.  >:(
What is post traumatic arthritis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't Stodge have a really bad skiing accident many years back?  Legs and knees all broken?  Or am I thinking of someone else?