Author Topic: HUMMER EV!!!  (Read 24965 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: HUMMER EV!!!
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2020, 04:54:00 pm »

I don't see anyone else anywhere near as visionary as Elon Musk at the moment.

And just as our opinions of the word "bias" differ, so does the term "visionary".

LOL, OK, who else in the automotive space is a visionary right now?
Christian von Koenigsegg

Agreed. But so niche as to not matter to major manufacturers. Same as Gordon Murray.
some of his stuff could trickle down and be game changers

such as valveless heads - look up the 3cyl turbo they made with crazy power called "little giant"
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2020, 05:02:10 pm »

And just as our opinions of the word "bias" differ, so does the term "visionary".

Christian von Koenigsegg

Agreed. But so niche as to not matter to major manufacturers. Same as Gordon Murray.
some of his stuff could trickle down and be game changers

such as valveless heads - look up the 3cyl turbo they made with crazy power called "little giant"

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But unless he is denting mainstream manufacturers it's difficult to drive change.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2020, 05:59:45 pm »
the valveless heads are already being mass produced for car companies in China to get bigger power out of smaller engines

He will get there, but I get what you are saying. No denying Musk has really gone from zero to hero in a very short time in terms of the automotive industry.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2020, 06:22:30 pm »

Musk didn't do anything visionary. He didn't invent the EV. Heck, he didn't even start or found Tesla.

He had a) loads of money b) was able to attract investors c) was able to make the product seem like you couldn't live without it d) create a cult of followers that would do the rest while much smarter people than he did the heavy lifting and technical work (see the Jobs/Wozniac Paradigm) d) able to lose vast amounts of money while doing so (ie fake it until you make it)

He's more PT Barnum to me. YMMV.

And large automotive companies weren't avoiding EVs (or hybrids) due to lack of innovation or "vision"...but due to them generally being unprofitable (as Musk is finding out, at least $6 billion worth so far). Even broken GM was able to make a very serviceable EV in the 90s as you know. Ditto with Toyota and their 90s Rav4 electric. With the tech at the time, both had ranges in excess of 150kms.

The "cult of Musk" far exceeds reality IMO. But again, YMMV.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:29:04 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2020, 07:09:58 pm »

Musk didn't do anything visionary. He didn't invent the EV. Heck, he didn't even start or found Tesla.

He had a) loads of money b) was able to attract investors c) was able to make the product seem like you couldn't live without it d) create a cult of followers that would do the rest while much smarter people than he did the heavy lifting and technical work (see the Jobs/Wozniac Paradigm) d) able to lose vast amounts of money while doing so (ie fake it until you make it)

And large automotive companies weren't avoiding EVs (or hybrids) due to lack of innovation or "vision"...but due to them generally being unprofitable (as Musk is finding out, at least $6 billion worth so far). Even broken GM was able to make a very serviceable EV in the 90s as you know. Ditto with Toyota and their 90s Rav4 electric. With the tech at the time, both had ranges in excess of 150kms.

LOL, you might not think much of Musk or Tesla, but the mainstream manufacturers have been caught off guard, and are struggling to react. They weren't being proactive at all.

And yes, he wasn't employee #1, but that's just nit-picking details and you know it. They hadn't really done anything in the first year, and he is legally called a co-founder by law (settled). Building a business around a vision is more than just being an ideas person, you've got to know how to execute too.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2020, 07:53:49 pm »

LOL, you might not think much of Musk or Tesla, but the mainstream manufacturers have been caught off guard, and are struggling to react. They weren't being proactive at all.

And yes, he wasn't employee #1, but that's just nit-picking details and you know it. They hadn't really done anything in the first year, and he is legally called a co-founder by law (settled). Building a business around a vision is more than just being an ideas person, you've got to know how to execute too.

His first title was "investor". :)

Then because of his investments, he was able to stack the BoD and have the originals ousted. I know the story. Sounds like you do too.

Ebergard and Tarpening (spelling? ) founded the company and personally named it "Tesla".

And after the out of court settlement (alleged to the tune of 50,000+ shares of Tesla stock! ) was the agreement struck to have 5-6 "co-founders".

I still think Musk's other venture, X-com/Paypal was far, far more visionary than Tesla. Shame about partnering up with Peter Thiel though (yuck).

Did I ever mention how Musk grew up wealthy off the fruits of slave labor? [emoji2] Perhaps another time...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2020, 08:18:42 pm »

His first title was "investor". :)

Then because of his investments, he was able to stack the BoD and have the originals ousted. I know the story. Sounds like you do too.

Ebergard and Tarpening (spelling? ) founded the company and personally named it "Tesla".

And after the out of court settlement (alleged to the tune of 50,000+ shares of Tesla stock! ) was the agreement struck to have 5-6 "co-founders".

I still think Musk's other venture, X-com/Paypal was far, far more visionary than Tesla. Shame about partnering up with Peter Thiel though (yuck).

Did I ever mention how Musk grew up wealthy off the fruits of slave labor? [emoji2] Perhaps another time...

You're proving my point by painting him with the tar of his parents/ancestors. Let's not start on the history of every major auto manufacturer.

Anyway, who are your current auto-visionaries then?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2020, 08:45:56 pm »

Anyway, who are your current auto-visionaries then?

I work in the industry and have for well over 2 decades but don't think there are any TBH. More like a continuous refinement rather than revolutionary or visionary.

New and novel technologies, production methods, materials, etc. Even in the techniques, software, machinery and tooling I use daily. A steady technical march forward.

But nothing "visionary". I too like Koenigsegg quite a bit..but can't call him a visionary. When Toyota and Honda released the first production hybrids...was that visionary or evolutionary? I think probably an evolution...

YMMV.

Like I said...I still think his first "real" venture was far more visionary.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:50:35 pm by rrocket »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2020, 12:14:23 am »
Christian von Koenigsegg

Tesla owner.  Loves his Tesla as a great daily driver. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »
https://insideevs.com/news/450900/video-gmc-hummer-ev-moving-prototype/

It turns out, despite previous reports, GM has built an actual Hummer prototype. Here it is. The guy is super annoying though.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:50:28 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2022, 10:09:26 pm »
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/02/23/2022-gmc-hummer-edition-1-weight/

Spoiler: it's a porker. With such an enormous battery I'm surprised it doesn't cost much more. Is there a vehicle weight limit for a G license in ON?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2022, 10:22:44 pm »

Spoiler: it's a porker. With such an enormous battery I'm surprised it doesn't cost much more. Is there a vehicle weight limit for a G license in ON?

I read somewhere the batter weighs over 3,000 lbs

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2022, 05:58:08 am »

I read somewhere the batter weighs over 3,000 lbs
I read a story a couple of years ago, that there was better tax deductions for heavier vehicles , so people would buy top of the line 3/4 tons vehicles
I would if this case also  ???

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2022, 10:45:53 am »
Shouldn't have drove it in the rain  :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXfp7pVFV4
TFL truck

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2022, 09:39:50 am »
Yep things are not going well for the Hummer - online forums are lit on fire. Piles of issues left and right…

TFL also tried to off-road it but…suspension levelling system failed, front diff lock didn’t work, dashboard buttons were ‘falling apart’ - I am a tad concerned about these issues and really wondering if I will move forward with my Silverado EV order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2022, 10:49:23 am »
https://www.thedrive.com/news/gmc-hummer-ev-taillights-cost-an-eye-watering-6100-to-replace-plus-labor

This particular owner was quoted $4,040 for just the Hummer's passenger taillight, not including labor. While this might seem like a typo, we can assure you that these taillights truly are expensive. After digging up the part number and giving a few dealers a call ourselves, The Drive was able to confirm GM's list price of $3,045.48 per side, meaning a full set will run nearly $6,100—more than 5% of the Hummer EV's MSRP—before installation.

This seams a bit pricey.  :)

Offline carmechanicuk

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: amg
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2022, 12:20:22 pm »
this actually looks amazing, will have to save for years to get one though

Offline leo chen

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0