Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1638978 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #3560 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:25 pm »
Picked up this spay nozzle at HD on Friday and it works great!

Are you moonlighting as a veterinarian, now?   ;)

:rofl:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3561 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55:01 am »
Installed about 300' of fencing at the cottage to keep the pups corralled.

Fun part was when I hit a rock and the end of the post pounder broke the threads off resulting in me taking a T-post in the face, chin is still a bit swollen, scraped up and sore, but the fence is in.

Mr Pickypants

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: May 20, 2015, 02:40:06 pm »
That sounds incredibly painful.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3563 on: May 20, 2015, 04:19:05 pm »

Fun part was when I hit a rock and the end of the post pounder broke the threads off resulting in me taking a T-post in the face, chin is still a bit swollen, scraped up and sore, but the fence is in.

Ouch!....nice to see a cottager make an effort not to let their dogs have a free run of the area and bother neighbors  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3564 on: May 20, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

Ouch!....nice to see a cottager make an effort not to let their dogs have a free run of the area and bother neighbors  :thumbup: :thumbup:

In my experience it's not the regular cottagers and people who live along here that let their dogs run, it's visitors and renters.   Nice thing about a fence is it keeps them out as well as ours in.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3565 on: May 20, 2015, 05:48:45 pm »

In my experience it's not the regular cottagers and people who live along here that let their dogs run, it's visitors and renters.   Nice thing about a fence is it keeps them out as well as ours in.

:thumbup: :thumbup: we think alike  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: May 20, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »
I wonder if an Invisible Fence may have been easier in that ugly terrain?  Although trenching may not have been any easier.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: May 20, 2015, 08:36:30 pm »
I wonder if an Invisible Fence may have been easier in that ugly terrain?  Although trenching may not have been any easier.

Easier yeah, but doesn't keep out other dogs.  Also does't work on power failures and dead batteries, plus they have to wear those pokey collars all the time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: May 20, 2015, 08:48:35 pm »

Easier yeah, but doesn't keep out other dogs.  Also does't work on power failures and dead batteries, plus they have to wear those pokey collars all the time.

Still not sure the trenching would have been easier on that ugly terrain.  Anyways, I loved my Invisible Fence.  Dog only had to wear the collar when outside.  We kept it on the coat rack.  It was a small collar.  Same collar for toy breeds and cats (not sure how it would work on a cat??).  So pretty small.

You have a problem with dogs coming into your yard?  Like larger dogs attacking your smaller dogs??

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3569 on: May 20, 2015, 09:20:43 pm »
I had to fence in front part of my cottage property because my dog scared the guy next door.  Fair enough.  Cost me about $3K 10 years ago because I needed to run heavy fencing right into the water about 20 feet into Georgian Bay. Used gabions loaded with rocks to withstand the storms.  Dog died 10 years ago and therefore so did the fence. 

2 years ago this guy's daughter unloaded her cat on him.  They spend the entire summer at their cottage so of course the cat roams.  I asked Vic, where's the cat fence?   :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: May 20, 2015, 09:35:59 pm »
I had to fence in front part of my cottage property because my dog scared the guy next door.  Fair enough.  Cost me about $3K 10 years ago because I needed to run heavy fencing right into the water about 20 feet into Georgian Bay. Used gabions loaded with rocks to withstand the storms.  Dog died 10 years ago and therefore so did the fence. 

2 years ago this guy's daughter unloaded her cat on him.  They spend the entire summer at their cottage so of course the cat roams.  I asked Vic, where's the cat fence?   :rofl2:

Huh...I have never seen a by-law that make you erect a fence because someone was "scared".

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3571 on: May 20, 2015, 09:49:20 pm »
Some ppl don't understand dogs.  Just like some ppl aren't too crazy about snakes.  It's his property and he has the right not to deal with a dog that took no instructions.  I'd let the dog out early in the morning and go back to sleep and the dog would still find it's way over.  He didn't make a big stink about that.  He just didn't want the dog over on a regular basis so a fence on his side showed some respect.  Very good friends to this day.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: May 20, 2015, 09:52:16 pm »
Some ppl don't understand dogs.  Just like some ppl aren't too crazy about snakes.  It's his property and he has the right not to deal with a dog that took no instructions.  I'd let the dog out early in the morning and go back to sleep and the dog would still find it's way over.  He didn't make a big stink about that.  He just didn't want the dog over on a regular basis so a fence on his side showed some respect.  Very good friends to this day.

Oh...so your dog was going into his yard?  That's different.  I thought maybe your dog just looked menacing or something.

BTW...isn't it irresponsible to leave your dog out wandering around with no supervision?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: May 20, 2015, 10:21:33 pm »
He'd go visit them.  Sometimes lie down on their deck and sleep in front of their door and he was 110 lbs of menacing.  Looked like a giant Rotweiller.  I was the only one that could get aggressive with him and I'd still needed to watch where I'd put my hands.  When we'd go to the VET I would have to get him in a head lock before they worked on him.

BTW...isn't it irresponsible to leave your dog out wandering around with no supervision?

Not where I grew up.  The only thing I worried about were cars.  He was stupid that way.  Got hit once.  Still didn't figure it out.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: May 20, 2015, 10:23:25 pm »

Not where I grew up.  The only thing I worried about were cars. He was stupid that way.  Got hit once.  Still didn't figure it out.

That's where I'm coming from.  With no supervision, you aren't protecting him from harm.

As you point out...some dogs aren't overly bright.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: May 20, 2015, 11:00:49 pm »
As you point out...some dogs aren't overly bright.

I just pointed out that he didn't understand the nature of vehicles.  He always thought he could stop them.  He'd try and stop you from taking off on a sled or ATV.  Or try and tackle you on cross country skis if you headed down hill.  Anything that move quickly he'd try and take down.

That's where I'm coming from.  With no supervision, you aren't protecting him from harm.

You can say that about kids today.  At 5 years old I walked home alone from school in Toronto.  Went to the park alone.  Today if a 5 year old was found alone in a neighbourhood park the Police would be called.  The nanny state is rock solid.  Just look at Ontario speed limits and the Street Racing Law .... it's all connected.  Just glad I lived thru some period of freedom.  :P 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: May 21, 2015, 08:30:42 am »

Still not sure the trenching would have been easier on that ugly terrain.  Anyways, I loved my Invisible Fence.  Dog only had to wear the collar when outside.  We kept it on the coat rack.  It was a small collar.  Same collar for toy breeds and cats (not sure how it would work on a cat??).  So pretty small.

You have a problem with dogs coming into your yard?  Like larger dogs attacking your smaller dogs??

Our neighbours about 500m away have the invisible fencing, in places they had to just run it over the surface of the rock, still ok but a bit more susceptible to damage.  Our property was mostly pretty easy to do with real fence, I also didn't really stick to the property line and went where it was easier.

We have had problems with people at the cottage next to us though, a family owns it and one of the siblings lets their dogs run free (and they drink and fight and play obnoxious music etc.)  so we have had their dogs on our deck a  few times.  Another "lady" who doesn't even live on our point runs her dogs down the road beside her SUV, one got into a fight with our other neighbours dog last fall.  There's also the occasional bear.
Mostly it's not a problem, but I feel a bit safer with a real fence.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: May 21, 2015, 08:36:36 am »

You can say that about kids today.  At 5 years old I walked home alone from school in Toronto.  Went to the park alone.  Today if a 5  10 year old was found alone in a neighbourhood park the Police would be called.  The nanny state is rock solid.  Just look at Ontario speed limits and the Street Racing Law .... it's all connected.  Just glad I lived thru some period of freedom.  :P

Edited for accuracy.  Glad I didn't grow up in a nanny state either.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/free-range-parents-livid-after-police-take-children-6-and-10-from-park-into-custody-1.2325241

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3578 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:58 pm »
Bought a Ryobi 18V Li-on trimmer from Home Depot for $100.  The wife wont use my gas powered trimmer.  Gotta say, its works well and is very light.  Makes trimming with precision easy.  It was worth the money.

Also bought the wife a Samsung dishwasher and installed it a few days ago.  The dishwasher that came with the house still works well but is so damn loud we won't run it unless we're sleeping.  I must say, this thing is built well, with thoughtful additions like being able to adjust the rear legs via a hex bolt in the front of the washer.  This new one is very quiet and rated at 46db.  Lowest rating in its price range.  Was on sale for $698.  Washes well, we'll see how it holds up over time.  Our Samsung clothes washer has been reliable, but the wife says it doesn't wash well.  I haven't noticed. ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: June 23, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »
Bought a Ryobi 18V Li-on trimmer from Home Depot for $100

Me too, but it was bundled with a leaf blower.  forget the exact price.  I have their 18 volt drill and recip saw as well for the last few years now.   All working great.  Home Depot must have a near exclusive contract.

Also bought the wife a Samsung dishwasher and installed it a few days ago

Quality machines.  Also have their direct drive front loader.