Author Topic: Ducati Scrambler  (Read 980 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Ducati Scrambler
« on: June 09, 2022, 11:50:18 am »
Howdy... bit of a quick update.

I sold the ol' Bonneville last autumn and have suffered relentless abuse from my friends, girlfriend and inlaws (all of whom ride) about not having another bike yet this season (I am known to swap them out pretty regularly).  Anyhoo, with prices through the roof, finding my usual bargoons has been extremely difficult. I missed out on some great deals on a few XSR900s (the bike I'm really after now) and another Z900 (my g/f also just picked up a '20 Z900 this season to go with her ZX6R).

Couple weeks ago, I saw a bright yellow (definitely not my first choice) 2015 Ducati Scrambler Icon advertised at a too-good-to-be-true price and only 8,000 km.  I went to see it and the seller -- a lovely older gentlemen whose arthritis in his hands has gotten the better of him -- needed to get rid of it.  We came to terms and I rode the bike home the next day.

It passed its safety inspection without issues but I've now had two occurrences (both when it was very hot out) where the bike simply coughs and stalls, when I've got the clutch pulled and I'm giving a little throttle blip. The bike always starts right back up without issue, but damn if it ain't a bit worrying when both times it's happened in traffic (once on the freakin' Gardiner Expressway!).  Both times, it was when the weather was very hot and humid, and the bike was very warm. 

I've since discovered pages and pages and pages of folks who've had the same issue with their Scramblers -- some from the time they were brand new -- but nobody seems to have shared a definitive resolution for the problem.  I've reached out to my contact at Ducati North America, but in checking with their head tech, it was all new to them (yeah, right).  Stopped at the biggest / best Ducati dealership in the area yesterday and the service guy actually snickered and said "Welcome to Ducati life". 

So... I've been going through, checking for things as best I can -- air filter is clean, all the connections i can find seem to work fine, etc., and picked up a set of new iridium plugs which are supposed to help smooth things out.  The Scrambler is tuned from the factory to run quite lean, so I'm wondering if I just need to have it re-programmed and all will be well.

But... there's the rub.  I bought the bike not because I was truly in love with it (I don't really like the character of most twins), and an XSR is really what I want, but the deal was too good to pass up, and honestly, when it's working fine, it's quite a lot of fun to throw around.  It's crazy light and steers very aggressively, plus it's very torquey.  Chasing down problems through the dealership can get costly in a hurry and I snatched this one up because it was such a good deal, knowing I could flip out of it quickly and easily, probably clearing a profit even after insurance, safety and taxes.

So...  I ask the collective wisdom here, do I dig deeper with this thing and try to resolve it, or ditch it, not knowing when the next big deal will come along, and potentially going the rest of the season without my own bike (I do have press bikes booked for trips, mind you...)????

PS>.. I haven't even been bothered to photograph it for show n' shine yet.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Ducati Scrambler
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 12:05:10 pm »
Just googled it. Nice looking bike! And found your post on the Scrambler forum too.  :rofl2:

Not sure what I’d do in your shoes. If the internet hasn’t figured out a fix by now, that’s not good. But seems like you can simply avoid the issue by just not blipping the throttle when sitting in traffic with the clutch in?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 12:16:21 pm »
Great bike!! But, I'd sell it if I didn't have faith in it like you do... take the profit & get something more reliable  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 12:23:26 pm »
Ummm, if you can make a profit, flip it.  Sure it was fun and a very nice bike, but sounds like you aren't in love with it enough to go down that rabbit hole to repair it.  Plus your GF has two bikes, so I'd assume she'd let you go for a ride on one of hers so at least you can do that from time to time.  With cost of living going through the roof, I won't be shocked if there are deals to be had on "toys" (bikes, boats, RV's, etc), you just have to be patient.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 03:07:27 pm »
If it would me I'd be tempted to flip it.

Or just live with it. It sounds annoying rather than deal killer to me.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 03:14:09 pm »
Tune.

Then flip if that doesn't solve it.

Or just flip if you can't be bothered.

Probably could have got a 690 Duke relatively cheap to hold you over?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 03:20:39 pm »
I looked at a deeply discounted 2 year old DC when I was shopping. Seriously loved it. It was also yellow and I seriously loved that as well - totally the colour I would choose.

Ducatis and heat though - they seem to be either roasting your parts with all the heat they throw off or having heat stroke themselves and dying.

Out of sympathy for your plight, I won't give you :censor: for the absence of pics. But don't delay - peeps are getting tired of seeing endless pics of my bike.  :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 02:34:49 pm »
Tune.

Then flip if that doesn't solve it.

Or just flip if you can't be bothered.

Probably could have got a 690 Duke relatively cheap to hold you over?

Yeah, I had looked carefully at a couple of Dukes as well (always with your praise of them ringing in my ears).  ;)